Used 2003 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Really great car
By rbagnate

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've always liked the 5th gen Maxima. I finally had the chance to get one from California. Purchased August 2014 with 50,000 original miles from an elderly couple that took real good care of it. I live in Colorado and book the trip to Dublin CA. Drove the car back and got 32mpg, she did great! One issue the radio had to be replaced and the power coming from the engine...WOW! So far I've added 12,000 miles driving for work out of state and I'm happy I bought the car. This car was immaculate inside and out.

Favorite Features

horsepower, moon roof(first time having one), trunk space is huge!

Suggested Improvements

none I can think off

First Car - Favorite Car
By kuktle

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Owned for about 30,000 miles, Car had 120,000 and when I wrecked it was at 150,000. If you by chance come accross one of these amazing cars I would most certainly recommend it. I've raced people in them and have very often won. It is very fast and very reliable. I recently rear ended someone in it and becuase the air bag deployed it was totalled out. I'm sad and devastated. This car is the kind of car that will last forever. The only thing I never liked was the braking could have been better but I drove it fast so what do you expect... Loved it Loved it Loved it!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Torque, Horsepower, Enterior, Exterior, EVERYTHING!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Car needs no improvements.

03 Maxima GXE
By cd9403max

2003 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second max, first one still have 94 with 264,000 km and engine/trans tops. Only have 62,000 km on 03 and now first major repair, brakes all around. Got this as last Japanese made one and was afraid of quality control with 04 on. I may be wrong with the 04's on. This car takes off like a scared cat-make sure you are hanging on tight. I like the 94 more as it seems more roomer inside and with self adjusting shocks, real nice. However, very poor head lights-moved up to stronger ones to help. 03 lights, what an improvement over the 94.

Favorite Features

Looks are real nice and with the silver paint job, sun and clouds give it different looks. Like all the controls on the steering wheel-fingertips. On the streets found so easy to go over limit and likewise on the highways. Passing with car is a pleasure-before you know, you are way over 80 approaching 90. Did anyone take it all the way up to the end of the speedometer. Like the dimming rear mirror at night.

Never left me stranded
By kriley50

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. I bought it used in 2006 with 77k on it. I drove it for 5 years and just sold it with 160k on it. The car is fast, gets good gas mileage, looks good, and is super reliable. Over the course of 5 years I replaced 2 sensors in the car and that was it. I liked the car so much that I went out and bought another one. The new one is a 2003 as well with only 60k on it. I can't wait to drive this car another 100k.

Favorite Features

Horsepower and Gas Mileage

Good Value for the Money
By rangermutt

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Maxima, the first a 1996 GLS with 160k miles that is still running strong. This model is the SE Platinum Edition and presently has 105k miles. We purchased it used with 50k miles and has so far been pretty much trouble free.

Favorite Features

Sharp looking exterior, automatic climate control, good gas mileage for the size of the engine, comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible turning radius - my full size Toyota Sequoia SUV turns shorter. Acceleration is not as quick as my '96 Maxima with a smaller 3.0 liter engine.