2002 Nissan Maxima Consumer Review: Eating Oil

2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (3.5L V6 6-speed Manual)

Eating Oil
By coyote on

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased the car new in 2002, fun car to drive initially.6 speed gear box and acceleration can get you in trouble with law enforcement.I have owned car for 8 years and had little or no problems.Problems began at 120k, electric cooling fans out,power plug cig lighter quit working,car started making a clacking noise that sounded fatal.Car towed to shop, found low oil on stick , noise from lifters clattering due to electronic timing off and air in system due to low oil. Car maintained meticulously with Mobil 1 syn 5w30 reg change.Repaired and back to normal. Happened again same problem.Car eating oil, no smoke or serious leaking. Mechanic friend chk pcv, stuck on Saturn and ate oil.I have to ck

Styling on SE and Pearl white paint .6 sp gear box fun to drive.Pretty solid car to 100k.Fun and sporty.Sport suspension good in and out of corners. Original Bose in dash 6 disc cd died and replaced, Good sound system , no longevity.

Great car to 100k, designed obsolescence.If I had a Nissan I would sell or trade before the 100k threshold. I won't buy another Nissan and this was my second Maxima. I will go back to Toyota or give Hyundai a look.