Used 2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Would buy another
By Skeete G

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The Nissan Maxima is has power beyond power. Unless you are going on a real racing track you are supplied with all the power you need out the gate. It's handling is decent and it's pick up is phenominal. I would recommend this vehicle for anyone on an average middle income budget. Performance, realiabilty and looks.

Favorite Features

Speed, HID's and reliability

Suggested Improvements

datime running lights,

Best Maxima Ever!
By Maxima #3

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought as certified used with 22K miles, now have 122K miles and this car is still awesome!I haven't had any major problems at all with this car. I plan to drive it well past 200K miles.

Favorite Features

Engine power, HID lights, styling, leather seats, Bose stereo

Suggested Improvements

Better turning radius, better rotors, better CD player

A mixed bag
By Cleanshot

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has been a mixed bag. The engine, transmission, and interior have held the test of time. It currently has 130K miles, but right around 100K it turned into a money pit. In the past 30k miles I have put close to $5K in it for weird things like a new brake system and electronic engine mounts. It's always gone to the dealer for regular maint. The worst part is the suspension. It's crap! The road is absorbed through the steering wheel and the struts always feel loose. I've also had a constant wheel shimmy that we live with. I will keep it as long as possible, but I just bought a second car Lexus ES 350. It's no performance car but I love the ride.

Favorite Features

Interior space, engine, and transmission. The way the engine responds when you step on the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Unable to update factory navigation system. High cost to maintain. Horrible ride and suspension. Too much road and wind noise. Horrible turning radius.

Great Car
By Dan

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a little over 3 years. It has been a great car. I change the oil every 3-4 K and it just keeps on going. I have never had anything major go with this car. You keep up with the regular maintenance and it keeps going strong. I hope to drive this car for many more years. It's traditional looks will always look cool.

Favorite Features

The car has very very good pickup. It is reliable and it looks really sharp on the inside and the outside. I often get compliments on how nice my car looks. The black leather interior is very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Surprisingly the Bose system is not what I thought it would be. The radio works fine, but the CD player is fickle. It works sometimes and other times it does not. I rarely used the CD player because of this. Also the fan can be loud in the cold weather.

Middle-Aged Maxima
By Buck Wheezer

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Drive mostly city. Gear shifting notchy. Only real gripe is the oil consumption that affected 10% of VQ35 engines. Still a fantastic engine.

Favorite Features

Engine performance and interior comfort. HID lamps are great.

Suggested Improvements

Fix oil consumption issues in Altima, Maxima, Infiniti VQ35 engines.