Used 2002 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

I love my 2002 Maxima
By MaxLover

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I got my Maxima over a year ago... it was roughed up by some college kid who could not afford payments. Yes it has some dents, dings and rust. It also does not have the best fuel economy but it is a fun to drive car that has a huge engine (3.5) to other comparable cars in its class... It has 255 horsepower with 246 ft-lbs torque... i had w rated tires on there... and my car ran like a new car. the engine is very strong and reliable... everything in my car is running strong... and im glad i bought this car

Engine/Performance

Needs to be more airdynamic... lower the drag coefficent... and the car will definitely run faster quicker and at the same time save on gas...

Would buy another
By Skeete G

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The Nissan Maxima is has power beyond power. Unless you are going on a real racing track you are supplied with all the power you need out the gate. It's handling is decent and it's pick up is phenominal. I would recommend this vehicle for anyone on an average middle income budget. Performance, realiabilty and looks.

Speed, HID's and reliability

datime running lights,

Best Maxima Ever!
By Maxima #3

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought as certified used with 22K miles, now have 122K miles and this car is still awesome!I haven't had any major problems at all with this car. I plan to drive it well past 200K miles.

Engine power, HID lights, styling, leather seats, Bose stereo

Better turning radius, better rotors, better CD player

A mixed bag
By Cleanshot

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has been a mixed bag. The engine, transmission, and interior have held the test of time. It currently has 130K miles, but right around 100K it turned into a money pit. In the past 30k miles I have put close to $5K in it for weird things like a new brake system and electronic engine mounts. It's always gone to the dealer for regular maint. The worst part is the suspension. It's crap! The road is absorbed through the steering wheel and the struts always feel loose. I've also had a constant wheel shimmy that we live with. I will keep it as long as possible, but I just bought a second car Lexus ES 350. It's no performance car but I love the ride.

Interior space, engine, and transmission. The way the engine responds when you step on the gas.

Unable to update factory navigation system. High cost to maintain. Horrible ride and suspension. Too much road and wind noise. Horrible turning radius.

Great Car
By Dan

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a little over 3 years. It has been a great car. I change the oil every 3-4 K and it just keeps on going. I have never had anything major go with this car. You keep up with the regular maintenance and it keeps going strong. I hope to drive this car for many more years. It's traditional looks will always look cool.

The car has very very good pickup. It is reliable and it looks really sharp on the inside and the outside. I often get compliments on how nice my car looks. The black leather interior is very nice.

Surprisingly the Bose system is not what I thought it would be. The radio works fine, but the CD player is fickle. It works sometimes and other times it does not. I rarely used the CD player because of this. Also the fan can be loud in the cold weather.