2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Great Car
By DCFRY on 10/27/05 19:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have put 45k miles on my Maxima and it is a great car. There have been a few recalls, but who doesn't have them. Great combination of performance and fuel economy. Should you decide to see it; it has a great resale value compared to american cars and a few foreign. I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

A Real Disappointment
By Nathan on 10/16/05 19:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

My wife and I bought the 6-speed Maxima because, while we needed a 4-dr sedan, I still wanted a performance- oriented vehicle. The Maxima fit this description and, aside from the Altima, had the most bang for the buck. In addition, being a Japanese make, we felt this would be a reliable vehicle that would be with us for many years to come. HOWEVER, in the 3.5 years that we have owned the car, we have been to a Nissan dealer no fewer than a dozen times due to problems. At least twice as many visits I have ever had to make to the dealer for problems with ALL of the other cars I have ever owned. Of note, we had to get a new transmission at 32K and finally a new engine at 49K. Time to trade.

Only A Nissan
By FIG on 10/08/05 23:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

everything any body would want in a car, style, power, dependability, reliability. very well put together package. i havent wanted nothing but a maxima since 1992, the dream is know my reality. kudos to NISSAN.

Very Nice Second Car
By Edgy on 08/24/05 13:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Had a 1990 Maxima SE for years, finally had to put her to rest. Went looking to replace on a $12-13K budget, didn't find much on dealer lots. Ended up going private party, found a very clean, luxurious 2002, paid a little over $14K. It's my commuter car, but a pretty nice one. Really like the black leather interior with the dark grey color and the fancy touches -- heated steering wheel, seats heated and also memory, Bose, auto-dim mirror. My other car is M3, so I wanted a different driving experience, although I'd prefer a little less body roll and bounce. Hopefully will be as reliable as my 1990.

Great Car
By Chuck Konfrst on 08/22/05 22:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been fantastic. It's fun to drive, very roomy, and decent fuel economy. With the leather & moonroof, it's almost elegant. Aggressive exterior styling along with the 255 horsepower engine make this car fun to drive. My only wish is for the suspension to be a bit tighter - the GLE is a bit softer than the SE. The back seat is very roomy and comfortable. I originally was considering the VW Passat, but I felt the value of this car was much better than the VW. If you're considering this car, I would definitely recommend it.

Super sedan!
By Johnny on 08/21/05 23:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Sold an 03 Vette to getthis Nissan cause of my growing family size. Fit and finish of Nissan blows chevy away. I got a loaded se 6 speed and it has more bells and whistles than the vette I had. It's not as fast and doesn' handle like a vette but for a 4door it sure does feel sporty. The gearing takes a lil gettin used to as its a close ratio 6 speed but its fun to drive as long as traffic isnt an issue. I love this car and it is far better than the 88,89, and 94 maximas Ive owned.

Great Sports Sedan
By Brian on 08/21/05 14:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 6 Speed Maxima two months ago, and i love it! When its working right that is. I've had to have the VHT gears replaced, wheel bearing twice, hub once, both front struts once, and lower control arms. All work was done for free or under warranty. I dont blame these problems on the car but, the dealership who didnt fully check over it before they delivered it to me. The car is fast (pulled a 15.1 in the 1/4 mile at the track) but the limited slip diff is a must, other wise the torque steer is too much to control. Over all a Fast, fun, Sporty ride. But the Eagle RSA's need to go needs some Pirelli PZero's

Gibson's review
By Chuck Gibson on 07/19/05 14:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car new in 2002 and have been very pleased overall. A few quirks witht the radio in the beginning, but all is resolved under warranty. Fuel economy is nothing to brag about (25.9mpg on the fuel economy meter, but don't believe it). Engine is powerful and extremely smooth. No problem getting around the slowpokes or merging onto highways. My only complaint is the limited turning radius on this car. Many times I have had to unnecessary 3 point turns that most cars, or even my wife's minivan would cruise through easily. I have received many compliments on this car and don't feel as though I have wasted a dime on it. The resale value proves the resale legacy continues.

02 MAXIMA SE
By kkitchens on 05/17/05 11:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The car is the compromise for a sports/luxury/family car. I love the car esp. the power. The front wheel bearing went out at 34,000 and I know someone with a little over 100,000 on his 02 SE and it has went out 4 times. It makes me think I need to get rid of mine. My O2 sensor went out the next after my bearing. Thank God it is still under warranty. Nissan needs to try to fix this problem. This is my only gripe about this car. The customer service you recieve could be improved by leaps and bounds.

Horrible Never again
By Gregnice23 on 04/01/05 16:08 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I will never ever get another Nissan again. From the headlights to the cd player breakin within the first 3 months to the speakers not working correctly. Nissan makes a good engine but I do not like the lil trinkets that are faulty. I will go with toyota or honda or mazda or hyundai next time.