Used 2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

I Luv My Maxima
By nissanlover

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 2.5 years and I am now at 135k and have no major problems. The power in this maxima is awesome and always performs like a champ. I also have a 2004 Maxima but I like the 2002 alot better

Favorite Features

Speed HID Lights Steering Wheel Controls

Suggested Improvements

Interior Audio System(factory CD players are not good.

2002 Black on Black SE 6M
By 02 Black on Black 6m

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

From my other review. 2002 Black on Black SE 6M 3/17/08. OK! What I stated before still stand, but we need to slam Nissan or the horrible, just horrible OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEM. This car does consumes oil. It will run normal for the most part and if your not careful and check the the oil level you can and will do damage to the motor. I keep a 5qt bottle of castrol high milage. After 200 mi of driving or so I have to add a qt or two of oil. That's right! Nissan won't admit to this problem. don't bother with synthetic if it consumes oil. The burn off is costly with that oil. I tried just about everything excepting changing the engine. Good luck....

Favorite Features

Comfort, Gas mi is ok. 6spd gear box. Interior dedign.

Suggested Improvements

Cd left channel cut out. Rattle from rear deck with Bose stereo. Fix the oil consumption problem. Nissan recalls and fix this problem.

Decent reliability for the money
By yokiro

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall it has been a reliable vehicle -- minus the o2 sensors failing over the years and problems playing CDs.

Favorite Features

Great horsepower for a mid-size late model sedan.

Suggested Improvements

Turn radius stinks.

Oil Consumption
By Maxima -Minimus

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Had to replace engine at 61K due to excessive oil consumption. Was adding oil weekly driving less than 30 miles per week but rings still damaged cylinders. Bought car for known reliability. Very sad and painful experience. Wards 10 best VQ35. Yeah,Right!

Favorite Features

Engine performance. HID lamps.

Suggested Improvements

Don't use inferior products for piston rings, etc.

Mistake-imus Maximas
By David

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was a happy owner of this vehicle for just under a year. Then I took it in for its 80,000 mile check up. First they found some oil leaks. Then a few days later my radiator had a leak. Then a week later I found that my head gasket was leaking. Over $3000 in repairs later, I'm selling this money pit and going for something that with better quality parts that will last me longer. All in all, a very disappointing Nissan. BEFORE PURCHASING THIS VEHICLE...open up the hood and check out the design of the radiator: a plastic frame crimped together with the metal. You can expect to drop over $300 replacing that part in the very near future. It's a wonder the part hasn't been recalled.

Favorite Features

Comfy interior, powerful engine, the overall look of the car

Suggested Improvements

Recall the radiator design, better quality parts that will last longer. Dealership was a nightmare.