2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Love it to the "Max"?
By jason on 07/08/06 17:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have just purchased a used 02 Maxima SE with about 50k on it. I have been driving a 4x4 Tacoma, keeping it of course, so it is a real rush when I hit the gas in the Maxima. I was originally focused on a Camry or and Altima but after test driving the Maxima I fell in love. I paid a little more than I would have for an Altima but I feel a hell of a lot better in the Maxima, no regrets yet. I have owned a 1990 240 SX which I always thought was a little under powered, this is not the case with this Maxima...WOW! If you have owned a Maxima I would love to her what you have to say about it. Does the novilty wear off? Have you had any problems? I hope I don't have a case of "Maximitus".

Great car, great price
By Hugh C on 07/05/06 10:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Firm ride, but not hard like BMWs and other sport sedans. Excellent highway car with the 6 speed manual and powerful V-6. Visibility and handling are great, interior comfort is good with all the controls right where you want them. Lots of back-seat room and trunk space. Everything you could ask for in a car, plus nearly 30 miles to the gallon, original cost just over 20k.

worth it!
By joulia benton on 03/19/06 13:34 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I used to drive a chevy cavalier and I loved it but it was not reliable. I knew I had to trade it in and as soon as I saw my maxima and took it out for a spin I knew right away I had to have it. I know it was used but I've heard a lot of good things about Nissan and plus I got a 3 year warranty. I love my Nissian maxima and she's been good to me and I know we got alot of years ahead. Joulia

good,fun to drive
By NicholPallot on 03/11/06 06:17 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Hard rideing car. But, car handles great & is fast. I love my Maxima, I had Three Maxima's 96,99, &02 Would like to get another, but fear lights will be stolen Thank you Nicholas Pallotto

What a pleasure to drive
By xraymike11 on 03/09/06 07:03 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Pros: It feels solid and has quality materials. Quality has been exceptional. The Xenon lights are wicked bright. The 3.5L engine is powerful and smooth (my favorite part of the car). The radio controls on the steering wheel are easy and conveneint to use. The 17" wheels are beautiful, and corner well. Suspension is stiff, which is how I like it (other models are softer if you like). Cons: The turning radius seems exceptionally wide, making parking harder than it should. Power driver's seat took some experimenting to find a good position for me.

Pretty happy
By pordy on 02/24/06 12:09 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Very nice car for the money- lots of kit, room, fast, comfortable, reliable- few competitors with a 6-sp. I bought 2 years old and now 2 years later and 50K miles total it has needed nothing. I'd certainly buy it again. However, early '00s weren't good times for Nissan and there are signs of things done on the cheap- leather has been durable but feels like vinyl, solid rear suspension, chronic wind noise around rear windows (TSB witstanding), non-adjustable rear headrests, intrusive trunk hinges, limited-slip only optional (and the 1 option mine doesn't have save navigation which I wouldn't want- forces cd changer in to trunk), some cheap plastics around e-brake and center storage

Just Shy of Perfect
By RollTide981 on 01/13/06 19:46 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has always been just shy of everything I was looking for. I bought it when it was one year old. I wanted a manual - but settled for an automatic. I wanted a sunroof - but settled for none. I wanted great power and handling. I got both, but they were coupled with a bulky body and a curious modesty that's crept into Maximas since my '94 model. I wanted a good traveling car, and I got it - except for the annoying headrests. I wanted good gas mileage, and it's there - but at premium fuel prices. With all this said, I still love my Maxima. I'd buy it over again. This car is like a relationship - a work in progress.

What's Not to Like?
By tjbNissan on 01/12/06 17:18 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car at 17K miles. Have put 27k on it. The car is extremely fast, quiet, and reliable. The Bose stereo rocks! I've replaced the tires and had the brakes done--nothing else. And it is absolutely beautiful. This is a car that you can put 200k miles on and it will still look new if you keep it clean. Nissan is making great cars and this is one of them.

Fun to drive, with a few caveats
By Wasim on 11/29/05 05:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 6-speed manual version with HLSD. The car looked great and was so much fun to drive, but it had lots of small problems. Individually, none would have been a big deal, but it all adds up. I had to turn the rotors every few thousand miles because they kept warping, replaced the Bose radio three times, and had to replace a wheel bearing all within one year of owning it. The squeaks and rattles get on your nerves after a while, and the big turning radius makes it annoying to park and make U-turns. That said, the manual was pretty nice, the car was FAST, and it handled great - the SE really has a nice suspension. And the interior was nicely appointed in my fully-loaded version.

It's okay, but I wish I'd gotten a G35
By dlc on 11/28/05 19:02 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Overall, a nice car - no mechanical issues whatsoever. It's powerful, especially as the horsepower takes over, and would really benefit from rear-wheel drive as torque-steer can be problematic. I find the gearbox and handling a bit squishy, but I'm coming from a Miata. The trunk's hinges extend into what would be usable space, reducing the trunk's capacity. The back seats appear to be reasonably comfortable, but I've never sat back there! Significant wind noise from the sunroof wind deflector. I would be a much bigger fan if the mileage were not so bad, and if the trip computer didn't lie about it, which it consistently does in most/all '02 Maximas (making me believe it's intentional).