2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Having fun with a six speed
By 6-speeder on 08/25/08 20:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I absolutely love it. It has been a good car for me. Buying it with 50,000 miles was miraculous. Especially with it being a six-speed. The car looks great and has beautiful horsepower. With it not being driven much I have had to replace the sprockets on the timing chain and little things along the way. But overall it's a wonderful car I would recommend it to anyone.

Great Second Car
By Adrian Pineda on 07/22/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car last week. It is going to relieve me from driving my 2007 IS350 out of leased miles. It gives me amazing mpg (28+ mpg @70 mph). It is roomy and well-built. The engine has lots of power and a reasonable amount of torque. The quality of the leather is above average. It's nice to see that all the electric features still work @ 108,000 miles. It shows that prior owner took good care of it. I bought the SE trim so the ride is a little stiff thus noisy but not unlivable. The color is a pearl white and it has aged gracefully. The '02 Maxima is a great solution for people who need to commute but don't like to drive smaller cars and still get high 20s per gallon.

Sexy and sleek, but a little noisy
By Mike on 07/18/08 10:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Overall this is my favorite car out of 12 that I have owned. I was immediately drawn to the power that comes from the amazing 3.5V6 in this car. My car has over 125K miles on it and the engine still purrs. My gripes have been with the build quality of the exhaust system. The flanges between the midpipe and the muffler have rusted and snapped TWICE. I've lowered the car and redone the suspension and although it's a little stiffer, this car is connected to the road better than ever before. Fuel economy is GREATLY improved now, I average about 50/50 highway city and get 25+ mpg most of the time on 87 octane.

Best Motor
By sam on 05/14/08 13:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This has been probably the best all-around car we have ever owned from the standpoint of durability/reliability. This is the best engine in any car we've ever owned. Smooth as silk, lots of torque, but with great mileage. We can get near 30 mpg highway if we use cruise and stay at 70mph or under. Hard to believe it's a V6. Wind noise and ride quality are a little dated, but overall this is a better car than the current Maxima which is too soft and a big disappointment.

2002 Black on Black SE 6M
By 2002 Black SE 6M on 03/17/08 20:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great car fun to drive. Gas mileage is pretty good. It requires premium gas at least 91 octane. I used 87 octane and the car sounded like a diesel engine. Not good! Spend the little extra money and use premium and the car will run a lot better. This is my 2nd Maxima. I previously owned a 94 Maxima GXE, kept it til 235,000 miles and everything still worked. I plan to do the same with this car. Everything is laid out pretty nice and easy to use, Bose stereo sounds w/sub really great. Ride is a bit rough on bumpy roads, but it's an SE with sports suspension. GLE I suppose will have a better ride, but you can't beat the handle on the SE with 6sp gear box. Which rare car to find!

All around great car
By cardriver on 03/03/08 18:52 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great car all around fun to drive, plus a great motor and really good brakes. I like this car and will keep it for years to come.

Keeps on going (FAST) w/140K!
By jdub on 12/20/07 15:34 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

When I traded a 2000 Acura TL for the Maxima, it had about 25K miles. I drive about 30K per year and wanted something that had a lot of power with a manual transmission that also got decent gas mileage. Roominess was also important to me since I have a family. I got exactly what I was looking for, and the car now has about 140K miles. The Maxima is the perfect commuter for my needs. The V6 is amazing. I think it may be the best motor in any car I've ever driven. Torque is plentiful and available everywhere in the rev range. The 6 speed is not the slickest, but it keeps you involved, even though you do not have to work very hard shifting because of all of the torque. This is a great Q-ship.

Bad Transmission
By Jesse on 12/11/07 07:22 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My transmission died at only 76,000 miles. I bought it used so i assume it was driven hard by the previous owner. I do still love the car though, its faster than most other cars and looks good too.

FIve years, never an issue
By RustyNC on 09/25/07 08:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We love this car. Never a problem. The highway ride comfort and noise are the only improvement it needs. Very good in the snow.

Rock solid thus far!
By T Maynard on 08/04/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased used in August '07 with 98K miles. Firstly, the exterior of the car is simply beautiful, extremely classy looking yet with a sporty edge. The interior cabin feels overall roomy enough. The leather seats are quite adequate and all the controls are nicely laid out and easily accessible by either the driver or passenger unlike in some vehicles where you feel the dash is a mile away. The sound system is decent but not exceptional. The steering is crisp and precise and the power is exactly what you would expect 255 ponies to feel like from a big sedan, very exciting. Gas mileage is blah, but this car so far has been a very worthy investment. It leaves me wanting nothing.