2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Decent reliability for the money
By yokiro on 08/31/09 18:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall it has been a reliable vehicle -- minus the o2 sensors failing over the years and problems playing CDs.

Oil Consumption
By Maxima -Minimus on 08/05/09 09:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Had to replace engine at 61K due to excessive oil consumption. Was adding oil weekly driving less than 30 miles per week but rings still damaged cylinders. Bought car for known reliability. Very sad and painful experience. Wards 10 best VQ35. Yeah,Right!

Mistake-imus Maximas
By David on 08/02/09 14:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was a happy owner of this vehicle for just under a year. Then I took it in for its 80,000 mile check up. First they found some oil leaks. Then a few days later my radiator had a leak. Then a week later I found that my head gasket was leaking. Over $3000 in repairs later, I'm selling this money pit and going for something that with better quality parts that will last me longer. All in all, a very disappointing Nissan. BEFORE PURCHASING THIS VEHICLE...open up the hood and check out the design of the radiator: a plastic frame crimped together with the metal. You can expect to drop over $300 replacing that part in the very near future. It's a wonder the part hasn't been recalled.

I love my 2002 Maxima
By MaxLover on 05/16/09 20:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I got my Maxima over a year ago... it was roughed up by some college kid who could not afford payments. Yes it has some dents, dings and rust. It also does not have the best fuel economy but it is a fun to drive car that has a huge engine (3.5) to other comparable cars in its class... It has 255 horsepower with 246 ft-lbs torque... i had w rated tires on there... and my car ran like a new car. the engine is very strong and reliable... everything in my car is running strong... and im glad i bought this car

Would buy another
By Skeete G on 04/30/09 10:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The Nissan Maxima is has power beyond power. Unless you are going on a real racing track you are supplied with all the power you need out the gate. It's handling is decent and it's pick up is phenominal. I would recommend this vehicle for anyone on an average middle income budget. Performance, realiabilty and looks.

Best Maxima Ever!
By Maxima #3 on 02/21/09 19:15 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought as certified used with 22K miles, now have 122K miles and this car is still awesome!I haven't had any major problems at all with this car. I plan to drive it well past 200K miles.

A mixed bag
By Cleanshot on 01/31/09 18:19 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has been a mixed bag. The engine, transmission, and interior have held the test of time. It currently has 130K miles, but right around 100K it turned into a money pit. In the past 30k miles I have put close to $5K in it for weird things like a new brake system and electronic engine mounts. It's always gone to the dealer for regular maint. The worst part is the suspension. It's crap! The road is absorbed through the steering wheel and the struts always feel loose. I've also had a constant wheel shimmy that we live with. I will keep it as long as possible, but I just bought a second car Lexus ES 350. It's no performance car but I love the ride.

Great Car
By Dan on 01/27/09 14:26 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a little over 3 years. It has been a great car. I change the oil every 3-4 K and it just keeps on going. I have never had anything major go with this car. You keep up with the regular maintenance and it keeps going strong. I hope to drive this car for many more years. It's traditional looks will always look cool.

Middle-Aged Maxima
By Buck Wheezer on 11/15/08 08:11 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Drive mostly city. Gear shifting notchy. Only real gripe is the oil consumption that affected 10% of VQ35 engines. Still a fantastic engine.

Updated review
By adrian pineda on 11/13/08 14:52 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car four months ago. It has relieved me from driving my 2007 IS 350 out of leased miles. The real MPG is about 25 mpg hwy and I'm not an agressi. It is roomy and well-built. The engine has lots of power and a reasonable amount of torque. The quality of the leather is above average. It's nice to see that all the electric features still work @ 112k Mi. The ride is stiff thus noisy but not unlivable, I think it needs shocks. The color is a pearl white and it has aged gracefully. The '02 Maxima is a great solution for people who need to commute but don't like to drive smaller cars and still get mid 20's per gallon.