Used 2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Ok until around 90k miles
By maximus02

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle for the last few years. However, around 90k miles the transmission broke. Replacement rebuilt transmission $4200, beware of higher mileage vehicles.

Replacement cost of xenon headlamps
By creationsbyme

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

First, the motor runs great at 140K. The trans has started making noise. Undrivable right now. When I replaced one of the xenon headlamps, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor, we're not talking about the whole assembly, just the bulb itself. At the Nissan dealership in Victorville, CA $258.00 for the bulb!! Can you believe it? I went on line and found the cheapest to be $159.00 My suggestion for someone who may not want to pay that much is when the xenon goes out, run your brights instead of replace. Bright bulbs cost $8. Oh, the spark plugs are internal. Tune up costs $418.00 to replace 6 spark plugs.

Favorite Features

power

Suggested Improvements

make parts affordable.

2002 Maxima with Manual Shift=AWESOME
By jhkmsu

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great car. Mechanically, it is unbeatable by any other car. The only re-occurring issue with these cars is that one side of the Bose 6 CD in- dash CD Stereo stops working at some point. It is only does this when using the CD player; the other modes still produce great sound. Some cars have the heater/AC blower motor go out around 100,000 miles, but it is easy to fix. The car maneuvers great and has great power for its time. The gas mileage is good, but since I have a 6- speed manual, I drive a little faster and quicker (Ok maybe that was an understatement) my gas mileage is a little less that average. I get about 18-19 mpg in the city

Favorite Features

The 6-speed manual transmission! Bose premium radio sounds excellent!

Suggested Improvements

Better quality air blower motor.

So far not to bad but getting nervous
By Jake

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

142k and aside from the usual brakes, tires, etc I only had some stupid bracket underneath break and needed a new muffler. But now I need the timing chain replaced and might as well do the water pump. The mechanic is trying to warn me about spending $1500 on the timing chain when these are notorious for oil pressure problems. I have no current oil problems but I need this car to last up to 200k miles. I haven't had a payment in four years so $1500 seems like nothing, way better than a car payment!

Favorite Features

Torque, you can pass when you wanna!

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is a joke, I think my dad's 1985 Buick LeSabre had a better turning radius. You get to practice 3 point turns quite often. LOL

Take care of it!
By 2TH Doc

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought brand new and have had NO problems out of routine. Still have original clutch, orig struts (not same ride but is fine), maybe down a quart between changes. OEM stereo died a few years ago, purchased from Crutchfield and upgraded myself. I LOVE this car and am planning on driving it to 300K or more! This is also my 4th Maxima.

Favorite Features

It is athletic compared to competition.

Suggested Improvements

NO lumbar support kills my back and I have to use cushions. All Nissan seats are pitiful compared to Honda.