2002 Nissan Maxima Consumer Review: 2002 Black on Black SE 6M

2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Review

2002 Nissan Maxima

SE Sedan (3.5L V6 6-speed Manual)

2002 Black on Black SE 6M
By 2002 Black on Black on

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

OK, I am back. OIL CONSUMPTION caused me to lose the engine. Even after caring for the car like a baby. Always made sure it had the correct oil level. Replaced the engine, car runs great with quirks. Should have kept my '94 Maxima. Nissan blew it with this model year. Just an fyi not all have this problem. If you're interested buying this car, look at the tail pipe. If the pipe is heavy dark black color. Great chance it's burning oil. At that point (NEXT!!!) keep it moving. Also I suggest premium gas. It makes a difference

Power, 6 spd gear box. Can leave most people if you know how to shift.

Oil consumption problem! Recall the car.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By driftisfun
on 05/02/12 21:33 PM (PDT)

Wow its been over a year. I hope you got your maxima issue figured out... I also have an 02' maxima 6 speed. My engine is firing only one cylinder these days and i have had extreme oil consumption since 2007 when the car only had 90k on it. It now has over 160k and has been a trooper. These cars are strong but you will have to deal with the issue eventually. Plan on a rebuild or replacement of the engine if you havent already done so by now. Like i said, I drove mine for five years like this! Also stay on top of the coil packs the can fail every 80k. Hope this helps cheers!

By black_max_02
on 03/01/14 14:57 PM (PST)

Changed engine..... With the new engine the cars has the same exact problems with the engine as it did before. I now have 240,000 Miles. Consumes oil!!!!

By jgray729304
on 05/10/11 05:55 AM (PDT)

I just bought a 2002 Nissan Maxima two weeks ago and it is already out of oil. I don't know if it is burning oil or if it is leaking. I heard that with older cars, they burn more oil...not sure what is going on yet.