2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Fast and good looking but eats oil
By lostinfresno on 06/21/14 12:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my Maxima in 2011 with 106000 car runs great and fast when using premium fuel. Mine has needed strus since the day I bought it. I have put 27K on it and i'm putting KYB strus on. My mechanic said the monroe struts are too weak for a cra of this performance level. Hard to believe my car burns 2 qts every 1k miles. With that said this car runs strong will fry the tires in first and second gear. I have replaced the factory stereo (that was junk) The interior is roomy and trunk is cavernous. I love the Zeon headlights most cars from 2002 don not have these in this price range I have replaced the radiator because the plastic tank developed a pin hole Still have original clutch

2002 Nissan Maxima
By zawada on 11/27/13 11:54 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle, i would highly recommend it. It was very reliable and had an amazing engine. Perform regular maintenance and this car will not let you down. Only draw back was the poor MPG and recommendation for premium fuel

An outstanding car
By 03passatguy on 02/26/13 14:35 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We've owned our 2002 Maxima GLE since it was new. It's been a bull: smooth, comfortable, reliable. Next to nothing to fix - except the CD player - outside of normal maintenance. We still own it. It still drives beautifully. Congratulations, Nissan.

2002 Maxima GLE
By 2002maximachic on 02/03/13 12:24 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car (model/year) - bought in Dallas with 84K and it runs great with 171k now. Just recently I found that during heavy traffic it slips a little. It sort of goes with oil but got that fix. I don't know anything about buying transmissions but where do you start to figure the cost?

Great Motor Wrapped in Crappy Exterior
By vq35de1 on 09/26/12 17:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I didn't buy this car out of love for Nissan or the Maxma, I just wanted a big sedan with creature comforts for not much money. This fulfilled that need. Granted, the car IS ten years old now but in the two years that I've owned it I've gone through 4 rear calipers, a new radiator, an O2 sensor, trailing arm bushings, and much, much more - I would say I've spent over $4,000 in repairs thus far. The other thing is this fantastic motor (not sarcasm)0 uses oil and gets piss poor MPG in any kind of mixed driving.

Worlds Best Synthetic Oil/Premium Gas/Air filter, 155K Still runs like the day I bought w/ 56k
By loveurcar on 08/25/12 14:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Maxima in "06" and switched to Full synthetic oil within the 1st 3k-4k miles and have always ran Marathon/Speedway brand Premium gas almost always except for traveling on vacation. After studying more about syn. oil and air filters. I found that Amsoil syn. 0w-30, Amsoil oil filter, and a nano fiber air filter that they recommend that filters down to the smallest particle size(oil filter also) on the market that last 100k(vacuum every 25k) to keep your oil clean between 10k-12k between oil change intervals or once a year. I only have to add around 1 qt of oil between intervals. Since owning the car the MPG improved after switching to listed above to 30 mpg hwy and 27 average.

One of the BEST
By jmsworth on 07/04/12 17:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is great, The oil everyone's reporting being lost is due to a tiny rubber hose coming from the block to the oil filter, they used a cheap hose and EVERYONE has this issue. I replace it with a premium hose for about $2.99 at an auto parts store and viola, no more oil loss. My car had several performance modifications and was in the 400 hp range, 0-60 in under 4.3 sec. THE MOST SOLID CAR I EVER OWNED, I adore Japanese cars and American muscle as both are just full of potential. This maxima never went through tires, never overheated, never had ANY issues that were not product of my own doing. Most issues are due to lack of maintenance and car knowledge. Lost my Max in a car accident:(

Problems, but it never left me stranded. Car changes its own oil. .
By driftisfun on 05/03/12 00:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Ok it's been 5 years since we purchased our gunmetal grey 2002 Maxima w/6 speed manual. The car had roughly 78k on it at the time certified pre-owned vehicle from West Covina Nissan. Now has well over 160k fast, hard miles. Maintenance has been: Front brakes three times, goes thru tires a lot. Front right wheel assembly and hub became loose. Replaced clutch as well. Sound system broke. Power steering leak. Uses 2.5 quarts of oil every month or so, which is a lot. This is very common as are the individual coil packs failing (there's 6), and O2 sensors (4 I believe),Catalytic converter failed. These days my Maxima is firing on only two cylinders and we have thrown in the towel. Car still runs!

Sad It's Time To Let Go
By apapple on 10/06/11 10:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Maxima off a 2 yr lease with 35k miles on it. This week, after 7 years of ownership, it rolled past 190k and I can honestly say, hands down, this is the best car I have EVER HAD. Aside from normal maintenace wear and tear, I can't make any complaints. The most major thing ever replaced on this was the alternator, about 3 years ago. I am hard on cars and this Maxima has defintely been through the ringer. The two 'issues' I can note would be the check engine light coming on for a bad oxygen sensor and the 6-disc player jamming up. Other than that, no complaints here. It has been reliable in all weather and the only reason it is time to go is because we need a larger vehicle.

A Distinctive Car Worth the Quirks and Shortcomings
By thos on 05/13/11 10:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have an 02 Maxima automatic with 70,000 miles bought almost 3 years ago with 45,000 miles. Mine burns oil, one to two quarts between changes every 4,000 miles. I also bought an 03 Altima V6 and it does the same thing, leading me to believe that this is a very common problem. However, the cars are cheap to buy used and a quart or two of oil between changes is less than $10, so why bother putting in new rings? I ran regular gas for the first 2 1/2 years--a mistake. The drivetrain, including the transmission, works better with premium. The solid rear axle in this car makes for inferior handling compared to the Altima, but the latter lacks the "elan" of the older Maxima in my view