2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
An outstanding car
By 03passatguy on 02/26/13 14:35 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We've owned our 2002 Maxima GLE since it was new. It's been a bull: smooth, comfortable, reliable. Next to nothing to fix - except the CD player - outside of normal maintenance. We still own it. It still drives beautifully. Congratulations, Nissan.

2002 Maxima GLE
By 2002maximachic on 02/03/13 12:24 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car (model/year) - bought in Dallas with 84K and it runs great with 171k now. Just recently I found that during heavy traffic it slips a little. It sort of goes with oil but got that fix. I don't know anything about buying transmissions but where do you start to figure the cost?

Great Motor Wrapped in Crappy Exterior
By vq35de1 on 09/26/12 17:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I didn't buy this car out of love for Nissan or the Maxma, I just wanted a big sedan with creature comforts for not much money. This fulfilled that need. Granted, the car IS ten years old now but in the two years that I've owned it I've gone through 4 rear calipers, a new radiator, an O2 sensor, trailing arm bushings, and much, much more - I would say I've spent over $4,000 in repairs thus far. The other thing is this fantastic motor (not sarcasm)0 uses oil and gets piss poor MPG in any kind of mixed driving.

2002 maxima gle
By max on 04/14/10 09:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2006 with like 49k now I have only 67k and I have mixed feelings about it is just not the way everybody think it is.Good thing it is loaded with heating steering wheel which is nice heated seats and much more features but it has so many downside things that I would not buy it again. Start with turning radius it is like an old Russian Lada than torque steer terrible than trany is going out at 67k almost gone than my struts in the front bad $1000 at least to fix them and I don't want to forget the wind noise is terrible, worse than my 90 Camry so in the other way don't buy it

Top Dog - Last 2 be built in Japan
By Jerryk33 on 02/06/10 10:54 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My 2002 Nissan Maxima GLE is a great car. Overall MPG is 24.4 using Mid Grade 89. NO major problems in 8+ years. One new set of tires and 1 new set of breaks. Had to replace the radiator at about 77K miles it blew. Otherwise zero problems.

Best car I've ever had
By Esch on 12/31/09 07:42 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2002. At the end of this week I will have put 250,000 miles on it. No major problems until I hit 225,000 miles, at that point it started burning through the oil and I had to replace the radiator. However, I still love to drive it, when clean it still looks brand new inside and out.

Great All Around Car
By Tony on 09/21/09 21:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this '02 GLE from my cousin in '07 with only 50K mi. Well built, reliable, powerful, comfortable...it's simply an excellent all around daily driver.

I Luv My Maxima
By nissanlover on 09/14/09 12:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 2.5 years and I am now at 135k and have no major problems. The power in this maxima is awesome and always performs like a champ. I also have a 2004 Maxima but I like the 2002 alot better

Decent reliability for the money
By yokiro on 08/31/09 18:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall it has been a reliable vehicle -- minus the o2 sensors failing over the years and problems playing CDs.

Mistake-imus Maximas
By David on 08/02/09 14:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was a happy owner of this vehicle for just under a year. Then I took it in for its 80,000 mile check up. First they found some oil leaks. Then a few days later my radiator had a leak. Then a week later I found that my head gasket was leaking. Over $3000 in repairs later, I'm selling this money pit and going for something that with better quality parts that will last me longer. All in all, a very disappointing Nissan. BEFORE PURCHASING THIS VEHICLE...open up the hood and check out the design of the radiator: a plastic frame crimped together with the metal. You can expect to drop over $300 replacing that part in the very near future. It's a wonder the part hasn't been recalled.