Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Love Nissans - 01 SE No Exception!
By LovMyNissan

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Nissan Maxima. My first was a 94 SE, which I loved dearly; it had almost 200,000 miles on it, didn't need any major repairs, and was fantastic, until someone hit me and totaled it. Anyway, I purchased the 2001 SE this winter from a private seller, and couldn't be happier. Mine is "Sunlit Sand", with tan leather seats, moonroof, Bose system, auto everything, spoiler, the works. It's comfortable, stylish, and very well put together - everything I expect from a Nissan. I saw that others have had unfortunate experiences with theirs, but I am still a proud believer in these cars. As long as you take care of it, it will take care of you!

Favorite Features

I love the Bose system, leather seats, moonroof and auto everything, and body style. The reason I went with the 01-02 style is because I don't like the 03-06 body styles very much. And clearly, I can't afford the '07 model just yet!

Suggested Improvements

My only suggestion is lower the price of the tires for these cars! Good grief. Mine has 17 inch rims, so it requires those high performance tires that are at least $200 a piece. I definitely don't love that aspect of the car :S

Winner
By jma

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The GLE sedan is super! The ride is not a Buick Lesabre ride, but it is comfortable and handles more like a sports car. I get more compliments on this car than any other I've ever had.

Favorite Features

Horsepower and style.

Suggested Improvements

Larger outside mirrors.

Mixed results
By Lee

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car new (13 miles on it) from the dealer. For the most part the car performed well. 26,393 - driver side window stopped (warranty). 44,749 - engine warning light (catalytic converter replaced). 46,356 - engine warning light (catalytic converter replaced again). 56,784 - seat belt light (dealer convinced me I needed a new battery). Seat belt light came back on within 10 miles of leaving the dealership. Warranty expired 60,968 - replaced seat belt sensor. Later issues (after 5yrs, like clock work): back left tire bearing tie rod rear calipers struts. I should have gotten out between 4 and 5 yrs. After that things really started to fall apart.

Favorite Features

I loved the space, being 6'3" (all leg) and the SE handling was far better than any other sedan that I had tired during that time. Really fun to drive, and had no issues on long trips. Even got as high as 30 miles / gallon once.

2001 Nissan Maxima
By Mike

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I thought Nissan was the better deal compared to a comparable Accord. Boy was I wrong. In the past year I've had to replace the rear calipers and the check engine light comes on randomly. At the time it first came on, the car was covered under the factory warranty. The Nissan dealer replaced what they said was a faulty oxygen sensor. The check engine light came on about 3 months later. By that time the warranty had expired. I had another shop determine it was a catalytic convertor. For now I'll just live with it.

Favorite Features

Decent power for a mid-size car. Respectable non-Bose stereo. As a winter car, not having to drive it in the spring & summer. My '84 911's proven to be more reliable and it's a 23 year old German car!

Suggested Improvements

Interior fit/finish to rival Honda/Toyota.

Decent car but with mixed reliability
By wolfinblue

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car with 64K miles on it, now have 99K. Mixed reliability. Non-major problems indlude: STAINLESS STEEL exhaust has needed replacement. Brakes worked on 3 times. Suspension is on it last leg, but that isn't surprising at near 100K miles. Leather seats are cracking and peeling. Bose sound system is pretty much shot now and needs to be totally replaced according to the dealership. On the plus side, the engine/tranny combo is smooth and powerful. Major mechanicals (engine, trans, etc.) reliabililty has been rock solid. Front and rear seats are VERY comfortable. As long as the major mechanicals hold up, no plans to sell this car any time soon despite the constant minor repairs.

Favorite Features

Smooth and reliable engine & transmission. Plenty of V6 power. Very comfortable seats and ergonomics. Plenty of room for 4 adults, even 5 if you need it.

Suggested Improvements

Cabin noise is horrible, like driving a pickup sometimes. Brakes are average at best. Bose sound system is disappointing. Suspension is too stiff for a 4 door sedan, even for a Sport Edition as the SE trim indicates. Gas mileage of an SUV almost. Tires are expensive!