Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 165 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Excellent vehicle
By Denny

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 2001. No mechanical problems ever. Body/finish still great. All scheduled maintenance completed. Vehicle washed and waxed on a regular basis. Only problem was the Toyo tires that lasted only 30K. Otherwise this has been an extremely dependable vehicle and a joy to own and drive. Would consider another Nissan for sure.

Radio controls on steering wheel.

Dump the Toyo tires!

20th Anniv. Review
By Robert

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 2001 Nissan Maxima is a very reliable and fun car to drive. In the past six years I have never had to have my car towed. I recommend anyone looking for a new car to test drive the Nissan Maxima.

Electric sunroof, heated seats.

A little bit more room for the rear passengers.

Love Nissans - 01 SE No Exception!
By LovMyNissan

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Nissan Maxima. My first was a 94 SE, which I loved dearly; it had almost 200,000 miles on it, didn't need any major repairs, and was fantastic, until someone hit me and totaled it. Anyway, I purchased the 2001 SE this winter from a private seller, and couldn't be happier. Mine is "Sunlit Sand", with tan leather seats, moonroof, Bose system, auto everything, spoiler, the works. It's comfortable, stylish, and very well put together - everything I expect from a Nissan. I saw that others have had unfortunate experiences with theirs, but I am still a proud believer in these cars. As long as you take care of it, it will take care of you!

I love the Bose system, leather seats, moonroof and auto everything, and body style. The reason I went with the 01-02 style is because I don't like the 03-06 body styles very much. And clearly, I can't afford the '07 model just yet!

My only suggestion is lower the price of the tires for these cars! Good grief. Mine has 17 inch rims, so it requires those high performance tires that are at least $200 a piece. I definitely don't love that aspect of the car :S

Winner
By jma

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The GLE sedan is super! The ride is not a Buick Lesabre ride, but it is comfortable and handles more like a sports car. I get more compliments on this car than any other I've ever had.

Horsepower and style.

Larger outside mirrors.

Mixed results
By Lee

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car new (13 miles on it) from the dealer. For the most part the car performed well. 26,393 - driver side window stopped (warranty). 44,749 - engine warning light (catalytic converter replaced). 46,356 - engine warning light (catalytic converter replaced again). 56,784 - seat belt light (dealer convinced me I needed a new battery). Seat belt light came back on within 10 miles of leaving the dealership. Warranty expired 60,968 - replaced seat belt sensor. Later issues (after 5yrs, like clock work): back left tire bearing tie rod rear calipers struts. I should have gotten out between 4 and 5 yrs. After that things really started to fall apart.

I loved the space, being 6'3" (all leg) and the SE handling was far better than any other sedan that I had tired during that time. Really fun to drive, and had no issues on long trips. Even got as high as 30 miles / gallon once.