Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Mixed Feelings
By Mixed Feelings

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car in '05 with 95km and now has 166km. I'll first start off with the good qualities: comfortable luxury interior with good sound system. Has good power and fun to drive. Now the problems. Non stop idle problems. I have had many parts changed and still no luck. It seems like the check engine light is always on for something. To this day I still have idle problems which the dealership wants $2400 to change the computer. There is also some rust starting on the body. Other than that, it's been a decent car.

Favorite Features

Sound system, interior layout.

Suggested Improvements

Make a more reliable car.

Nissan Lover!
By Maximus2001

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned only Nissans. I had a Nissan Sentra Coupe SE 1991 (first car) excellent used car, Nissan Maxima GXE 1994 used, and currently owned 2001 SE brand new from the dealer. Needless to say I still own this vehicle. Only regular maintenance had to replace struts & springs @ 108k, thus far. Keep in mind, this is the last truly manufactured in Japan vehicle so I can't speak on the newer models. But I can say this, I plan on keeping this vehicle for another 100k hopefully. I considered upgrading to an Infiniti G35, but decided to keep the Maxima since it has been so reliable thus far. Many people buy used and don't realize just how important the previous history is. It can impact you badly.

Favorite Features

Can control radio system from steering wheel, great handling, reliability, nice pickup, easy on the eyes.

Suggested Improvements

Improved gas mileage couldn't hurt considering the economic climate of fuel cost. Maybe a Hybrid model?

Excellent Car!!
By Rachel

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased two brand new Nissan Maxima's 2001 Limited Edition cars (made in Japan). After I bought mine, he loved it so much, he bought one. I still have mine and it is an awesome car! I have maintained all regular maintenance & service on it and the items that needed repair (catalytic converter and alternator) were covered under warranty. This is the second Maxima (& 4th Nissan) I've owned and it is very fast, has great pick-up and is still stylish (after 7 years). My husband just traded his car in because he wanted a 4 cylinder and now misses his Maxima. The Bose system has incredible sound, all controls & power items still work, no problems with leather or paint! Buy one!!

Favorite Features

I love having the controls on the steering wheel. Fog lights add sporty look. The reverse illuminated dash looks great & reads well-especially at night. Bose sound system is awesome! A lot of front leg room (I'm 5'11), love lumbar support in driver's seat. Lots of trunk room & fold down back seats.

Suggested Improvements

The original tires that came with the car had to be replaced at 30K (rated as 40K tires). The replacement tires were $200+ each (best deal).

Super Star
By PES

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this since new and am completely satisfied! Engine is smooth as silk and has had zero problems in almost 100K miles. Body styling is becoming classic. Smooth ride tight steering great road grip. Only gripe, and that's minor, is the limited turning radius.

Favorite Features

Engine, smooth, powerful, responsive, quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is the worst I've ever had. Probably due to the sports steering package, however parking lots can be a challenge.

Very disappointed
By Maxima Girl

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 4 Maximas and this is by far the worse one I have owned. I have replaced 2 sensors, the exhaust, the air flow meter, the signal light flashes very fast when you turn it on to make a left hand turn, and the leather on the driver's seat is cracking. And I have only owned the car for 3 1/2 months!

Favorite Features

Very soft ride, nice Bose stereo.

Suggested Improvements

The leather on the seats is too soft and cracks easily. Do something with the engine so that sensors don't go bad so often.