Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

3rd Maxima No Sign of Stopping
By Nissan4ever

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned 3 Nissan Maximas (88,89,01). I have had nothing but good experiences and look forward to owning a new one. It is my opinion that you cant go wrong with owning one of these vehicles, especially if you have a bit of a lead foot like i do.

Favorite Features

The powerful 3.0 liter V6 motor, 4 wheel disc brakes, and the Bose radio with cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

Dont really dig the rear end on this model Maxima but the reliabilty and creature comforts make up for that.

quadcamperformance
By eriktucker

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have a Nissan Maxima 2001 SE 5 speed black on black, with a few up grades such as stillen intake, crank pullies, stillen exhaust, progess springs, akebono brakes, stillen strut bars, and advanced timming. I had it up to 152mph at 6100 rpms and it wanted more. I had before this car an Acura Legend 5 speed. I also had a 1990 BMW 525 I automatic. I like the Nissan Maxima by far.

Favorite Features

I really like the torque and the gearing for a front wheel drive car. I also like the handling as I slam through the gears arround corners.

Suggested Improvements

I really don't like all of the sensors this car is equiped with. They all seem to brake down.

Great all-around performance car
By dude_472

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car and never doubt that it will perform in extreme situations. I go through front tires every year so you can imagine how aggressively I drive it. I had this car at very high speeds, including turns, and never lost control; it slides beautifully through the turn. The suspension seems soft and suspect on turns, but the compression is set nicely so that it holds...just have to get the feel. No problems with the engine after 50000 hard miles. I've gone through 3 sets of breaks and 14 tires already ($$$) but that was my fault, not the car's. There really isn't much you can be unsatisfied with for the money. Had it for 4 years and plan to keep it for 4 more or so (sell@100K).

Favorite Features

Suspension and engine reliability. It really seems as though it will be running strong after 150K miles no matter how hard I drive it. I like the body style too. Drives really nice...

Suggested Improvements

I purchase high perf.all-season radials (Nitto) now at nearly half the cost of the Potenza stock tire (summer tire). They last longer & handle so much better in the rain and snow. Nissan should offer some choices here on purch., or at least make sure custs. are aware of the situatation and options.

Great Car
By Don Parkhurst

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My fifth Maxima and my next car will be a Maxima. Maximas run great for at least 250,000 miles with normal service. A real value when compared to more expensive cars

Terrific car
By mary b

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best car I've ever owned. Beautifully designed inside, extremely comfortable, and a blast to drive. Zero problems after 40,000 miles. Only wish it had a little better fuel economy but not bad -- generally 26-28 mpg highway and 22-23 around town. After 3 years it still looks and drives great.

Favorite Features

Comfy heated leather seats, the Bose stereo sound, good handling and turning radius, easy layout of the controls in the middle. Plenty of power for passing and accelerating. Autodim mirror and homelink are really useful accessories.

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights are hard to find, as are the buttons for the fuel door and trunk release. Go back to this design -- I like it much better than the new Maxima, which looks too hefty, has way more HP than anyone needs and looks awkward compared to this one. Improve fuel economy.