2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Great car for the money
By Vinay on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought the Maxima GXE. So far, it's been great...handles very well for a car its size. Interior room is aplenty, and the dashboard layout is much better than the new Altima I was considering. It doesn't have the frills (spoiler, rims, sunroof) but has the same engine as the other trims, and the car moves its weight very well! It's too early for a reliability estimate, but by all indications it should be excellent. Overall, a the best car for this price range.

Short timer
By tonyval on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the 222 hp. and the suspension is fantastic. Interior is well laid out, especially convenient are the radio controls on the steering wheel. Chain link drive belt is a plus for reliability. Plenty of room for a family of four (mine).

A ton of fun and bang for the $
By Lady J on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought a lease turn in for $17k w/21k miles on it. We could be more pleased and laugh at our friends that by new Accords, J30/35, Camarys and whatevers. It's almost too much fun to drive. Hard to keep under 80mph on the Interstate.

Wouldn't hesitate to get another
By LoneStar on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My first Nissan experience was a bust...Quest van had so many problems I swore never look at another Nissan. Then I sold them for a time and drove them everyday. Renault has turned Nissan around. I no longer sell Nissans but I have no reservation of going back for another Maxima when this lease is up. It is far and away the best car on the road. The SE manual is a blast to drive. I got luxury car and sports car rolled into one.

I'm Sold!
By nissanhappy on 05/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had nissan for a while now, all i can say is great car, great power if you need it. You just barley touch the gas peddle and your going the speed limit! ADVICE: dont take out your stock cassette deck for a cd player, the car shop has no clue on how to hook up the radio antenna. If you want a cd in your car buy a cd changer for your trunk. Otherwise great car!

Max Fun
By max01 on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great driving car, with responsive engine. Load of interior room and nice appointments, including Bose audio system. Handles and brakes well. Would prefer less "plastic feel" of the dash, and rear independent suspension.

Love the maxima!
By Darin on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am on my 2nd maxima, having had a 1998 model for 3 years, I moved to the 20th anniversary SE model. I've never had a problem mechanically with the car. The car has been reliable through two winters. Dealer service has been top notch. The 2001 SE model is quick and agile. It's roomy (fits my 6'3, 240lbs) and comfortable. The trunk is spacious. The leather seats are very comfortable. The audio system sounds great. The car feels safe and powerful on the road, even at speed. If I were to pick one thing to complain about it's that the moon roof was not optional in the SE trim line and that means a loss of an inch or two of head room - something that matters for me.

Great Value and Fun to Drive
By bills01se on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a new 2001 SE about 18 months ago. It has been a great car to date. The performance, comfort, and styling are great. The bang for the buck is huge. I can't understand why someone would choose an Accord or Camry over this car. I have averaged 23 mpg running regular unleaded, and I have had NO performance problems whatsoever. I did have to get the CD player replaced b/c it never worked. Additionally, I just replaced the stock tires at 27k. Overall, I would highly recommend this car to anybody.

Bad paint
By Bob Plucinski on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed this vehicle and do feel it is a good vehicle for the money. However, I am very upset about the paint job. I have had too many paint chips to count. I expected more out of Nissan.

Difference of Opinion
By HXed on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Contrary to many of the reviews, my 2001 Nissan Maxima was not that good. I had it for about 4 months before I began to experience suspension problems. So, I contacted Corporate Nissan. Basically they slapped me in the face and denied any responsibility - so I filed for arbitration with a third party. In addition, Nissan does not thoroughly stand behind its products and craftsmanship from their mechanics. I will never own a Nissan and neither will anyone I know. I am going to go back to Acura/Honda were service and quality are of a higher priority than just selling a car to make money.