Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2001 GLE Nissan Maxima
By tecato

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 3rd nissan maxima that i own and i cannot say anything bad about the MAxima. A lot of power. Reliable, etc. I'll not change for another make or model....

Favorite Features

A lot of small sport cars only see Maximas rear hood with the name MAXIMA and afterwards ask how much is fuel consumption...

No More Nissans
By steanboat1

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased 2001 SE brand new for my wife and absolutely love the car at first - power, comfortable, ample interior space and did I mention 'Power'. For the previous 15 years, we've owned Hondas and Toyotas and guess we were spoiled with their reliabilityr records of these. Starting at 30k we started having problems with the Maxima (O2 sensor, transmission, and Catalytic Converter). These are not your regular $200-$300 problems but more like $900- 1,300 a pop and you would expect these problems at 200+k versus 30-100k. I love the power and styling of Nissans, but I must say I'm going back to the ole' faithful Honda or Toyota for reliability and $$ saves in maintenance.

Favorite Features

Power, styling, interior room

Suggested Improvements

reliability - pricy parts do not hold up very well

20th Anniversary Edition Maxima
By Brooklynborn

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th Maxima and I absolutely love this car. I've had it 4 and a half years now. The car rides smooth and quiet. It has a strong 227 Hp engine, the same one found in the 2001 Infinity I30. 4900 miles on it and still performs like new. No problems to report. All I've done to this car is replaced the tires when needed. The reliability of this car is excellent. This is exactly why I buy Maximas and nothing else, it's the best car for the money. I'm about to buy a 2006 Maxima. I've received many great offers on my car to sell.

Favorite Features

Anyone ever noticed how roomy the back seats of this car is? Great looking aerodynamic body kit and nice wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires and better leather. My driver seat's leather ripped in several places from normal everday use.

Still Not Sure...
By RB

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Maxima SE new back in March 01. I like the car overall, but here is my experience so far: 1)Had to replace the front shocks at 40K 2)The exhaust pipe had to be replaced at 53K 3) Replaced original Potenza tires after 53K 4)New front brakes at 36K 5) New rear brakes at 52K. My experience with the service department at the dealership has been very good, they know what they're doing. I will go with a Honda or Acura for my next car.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, Roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

Be able to put regular gas in instead of minimum of 91 octane, better shocks and struts, better brakes, no low profile tires, lower cost for parts and maintenance

My Maxima
By 2 Time Maxima Owner!

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 01' 20th Anniversary Special Edition is a wonderful vehical inside and out, including the mechanical parts. Nissan builds wonderful cars and the safety features are great. The car rides just as you move the steering wheel and stops on the dime. No hesitations! This is my second Maxima, previously owning a 95'. The bang is not as strong but it drives just as well. I feel extremely safe in Maxima's. The 95' Nissan was my first car, I thought I was in the Indy 500 and should have been dead 3x's. However, have been driving the Maxima saved my life.

Favorite Features

The wheels, The 6 CD change in the trunk, the sport package, the steering wheel radio controls, even the pedals.

Suggested Improvements

The leather seats need more give to them. I am just a 120 lb female and the seats are ripping, there is no give or pull in front nor rear seats. All seats are ripping at the seams and in the middle of the leather in many different areas.