2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
5th Gen 2000-02 are best
By Johns on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased new w/Infinity all-leather interior. 130K miles. I take good care of it. Still looks great w/a few minor paint touch-ups. Wonderful car for the S.W. and high-speed touring. Good power/weight ratio. 21 mpg city, 28 highway at 80+mph. Unmatched visibility for touring and safety. Roomy inside and comfortable rear seat for passengers up to 6' tall. Great driving car with ample power. Good human factors design for driver - everything obvious and handy. Replaced all 4 O2 sensors, starter, radiator and alternator between 105K & 120K miles, front camber kit and rotors are due. Regular maintenance w/synthetic oil. Altogether a great car that's fun to drive w/a lot of good miles left in it.

Nissan Has Fallin Off from Being Premium
By tonepearson on 01/27/10 10:14 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Not the most reliable car. Has a lot of mechanical problems that arises very often as explained below. Nissan pretty much stole everyone's money with the make of these cars b/c I feel Toyota and Honda did a whole lot better than them with the reliability of there cars. These cars are worth lees than KIAs and DAEWOOs if you ask me. I have own this car for a year and has spent more in it than its worth. To all my fellow buyers avoid these cars b/c I promise you b4 200,000 miles it will be junk unlike Toyota and Honda. At least they recall a car that has a problem all Nissan did was pocket the consumers money and gave them the middle finger. So to you Nissan I hope you go out of business.

2000 - 2003 was the Best Generation
By tompatman on 12/31/09 08:03 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall, I love my Maxima. It has been a great car over the years. Excellent, sporty performance for the money. I would say for this class of vehicle you couldn't find a better value. Have 133k on mine now, only serious problems have been a failure in the clutch hydraulics and a leaking radiator I recently had to replace. The engine in the Maxima is rock solid, and if you change the oil when you're supposed to it will never fail. Also, get Yokohama tires on this and it'll feel like you're driving a different car.

Brakes
By tamsmax01 on 06/25/09 07:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Orig. owner of my 01 Max. Love it overall, but have put 3 sets of brakes on it now at 140,000 miles. this last set involved callipers as the rotars were very warped - perhaps due to callipers not releasing fully, wearing them faster. Also needed a speed sensor for the right rear wheel. All for $900. Wondering how other owners were faring with brake issues on their 01'. Still handles well. Great Giddy-up and gets an avg. of 23mpg in the city - around 330 miles to a tank of gas.

Nothing like a Maxima.
By twelveboy on 04/06/09 21:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 56k miles and have been very pleased. I have taken very good care of the car, all recommended maintenance. I have replaced the alternator at 70K, had a small problem with the front right tire making noise, turns out it was only a slightly uneven wheel, simply put it on the back and it has never maid a noise since. Wish I could have found a 5-speed for the same price/miles. I average 22mpg in town; about 26mpg at 80mph. The ride is a little rough in town, but nothing but comfort at high speeds. Overall a very impressive car.

Excellent used car
By Ken on 02/19/09 05:58 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased at 73,000 miles and driven 4,000 in 4 months during one of the harshest winter in Chicago. The car started every time and everything worked great. The engine is very quite and the ride is very comfortable. Fuel economy is worse than expected as it has been consistently getting about 18 MPG in the city but it jumps to 22 MPG on highways. Still very stylish after all these years.

2001 Nissan Maxima SE
By J. Mattern on 02/07/09 19:14 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought SE model, loaded, new in '01. Check engine light and o2 sensors a continuous problem for last 8 years. Dealers stick it to you each time attempted to fix these issues. Finally gave up years ago and just live with. Car now has 200K miles and continue to drive as winter vehicle, but must say the engine has been very solid. Bought a 15" Blizzak tire/wheel package (all four wheels) to replace the 17" Potenzas for winter driving and this car rolls through the bad winters of Upstate New York like 4 wheel drive! Would likely not buy another Nissan vehicle as the frequent warning lights on the dash are just a pain.

Exceptional Used Car.
By Zoombag5 on 10/22/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 Maxima SE used in 2004 with 44,500 miles. Now have 106,000 miles after 4 years of driving it. I replaced the A/C compressor & oxygen sensors soon after purchase. Since then the car has been very dependable and fun to drive. All other costs have been maintenance related (brake pads, tires, etc.) I get 19 mpg local and an impressive 27 mpg hwy driving 65-70 mph with 3 passengers & luggage. I highly recommend this make & model. My 2nd Maxima. My 1st ('95 SE) was hit & totaled at 9 years & 94,000 miles, but was running like a top until then.

Nissan Lover!
By Maximus2001 on 08/20/08 12:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned only Nissans. I had a Nissan Sentra Coupe SE 1991 (first car) excellent used car, Nissan Maxima GXE 1994 used, and currently owned 2001 SE brand new from the dealer. Needless to say I still own this vehicle. Only regular maintenance had to replace struts & springs @ 108k, thus far. Keep in mind, this is the last truly manufactured in Japan vehicle so I can't speak on the newer models. But I can say this, I plan on keeping this vehicle for another 100k hopefully. I considered upgrading to an Infiniti G35, but decided to keep the Maxima since it has been so reliable thus far. Many people buy used and don't realize just how important the previous history is. It can impact you badly.

Super Star
By PES on 07/19/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this since new and am completely satisfied! Engine is smooth as silk and has had zero problems in almost 100K miles. Body styling is becoming classic. Smooth ride tight steering great road grip. Only gripe, and that's minor, is the limited turning radius.