2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Reliable at 120,000 miles
By maxima155 on 02/13/14 12:25 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First purchased my certified pre-owned Nissan Maxima in 2008 with 62,000 miles. I currently have over 120,000 miles on the car and is still reliable. The car is not as fun to drive as a BMW 3 series, but has been very affordable to maintain. Most of the repairs I have had done is wear and tear items. Brakes, rotors, exhaust, radiator, tires. Engine and transmission are utterly brilliant. Tip top shape and are extremely quiet. The car does have a few problems: service engine soon light has a faultily sensor, failing speed sensors cause the TCS to come on and off, and the BOSE subwoofer shorts out sometimes. Also, leather rips due to heated seats.

Love my 2001 Maxima GLE!
By xrichardx on 06/13/11 23:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

WONDERFUL car! I bought it used in July, 2003 after literally months & months of research. You may not believe me, but I now have almost 170,000 miles on it, and there is NOT EVEN ONE RATTLE while driving! Its computer chip went out at about 150,000 miles, but I found a good used one online for about $250. And that is the only time it did not fire up and go. It has been extraordinarily reliable. Had to get seat covers for the leather seats, but the Texas sun where I live eats up leather seats on any car. I replaced the driver's seat at about 140,000 miles because two of the power motors in it went out, and it was less expensive to replace the whole seat with a used one from a salvage yard than replace the motors in the original. Factory Bose stereo system w/ subwoofer still is crisp & LOUD w/ no distortion. I get 23-27 mpg depending on the amount of city/highway driving I do, and it still does not burn one drop of oil between changes. Power seats are adjustable every way imaginable, & those front seats are more comfortable than most living room furniture, no kidding. Has pass-through from truck to back seats. This is far and away the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I have been through seven other foreign & domestic cars & trucks before I was lucky enough to find this one. Test drove a Chrysler 300M right before test driving the Maxima, and the American vehicle was a joke, absolute junk, compared to this one. I remember saying to my son at the time, "This car is amazing. You just THINK what you want it to do and it does it." I honestly expect to get 250,000-300,000 miles out of it, and I highly recommend this model year and other Maxima model years without any reservations whatsoever. Just a wonderful, wonderful vehicle!

Expensive Repairs
By Richard B on 02/12/10 08:23 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very expensive to repair. Complete brakes over $1000, Alternator $1000, Check engine light, coil, o2 & Knock sensor's $1000 and counting. Clock to small and located in the wrong place, Small trunk, seats tear easily. Can't get sticker with check engine light always on.

It's a Dud!
By Greg on 08/01/09 18:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2001 due to it's great handling and performance. Unfortunately, I had no way of knowing how cheap Nissan had gone on the parts. O2 sensors, mass airflow sensors, busted muffler, warped door to the gas tank, electrical system issues...I can go on and on. My advice is to stay away!

Some good some bad
By Steves2k1 on 04/19/09 23:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the car with 62k miles still have it at 118k today. Overall solid car, minus the constant idle problem which no one can find a solution for, coils, and squeaky front end. OH yeah and rear wind noise is wayyy too loud!..other than that fast fun car to drive. Must use premium for maximum performance. And never take the car to the dealership once you are out of warranty.

My First Maxima
By BIGED on 02/24/09 08:06 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Drives great! Love the comfort and controls. Gas mileage is Nice surprise 28-30 mpg. No major problems purchased used with 93K now at 103k miles. Great for long trips, great brakes and fast on freeways.

Fast and Dependable
By Mike on 01/30/09 09:25 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought vehicle used with 36K on it. Now have 126K on it and still drives great. Replaced brakes and tires. Aside from regular maintenance, that's all I've ever had to do to it. Has never left me stranded. Still accelerates like a champ and hugs the road. No complaints at all here. Looking forward to turning over 200K.

Fast, Fun, and Fuel Efficient Reliabilty
By dodgeman on 01/05/09 06:50 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was my Mom's 6th Nissan in a row, after she gave it to me in 04, She moved on to her 7th if that gives you any indication of how loyal we are to Nissan. This car has been extremely reliable and easy to own. In fact, just a few days ago on Christmas morning was the first repair its ever had done, a starter. The car is very high quality from the interior materials featuring soft touch leather and vinyls almost everywhere and soft touch plastic knobs, the the 8.5 year old paint thats never been waxed that still shines like new. Not only is it very comfortable and reliable, but it will run to 60 in under 7 seconds, all while achieving 30+ highway and 23+ city on premium fuel.

Mixed Feelings
By Mixed Feelings on 08/24/08 21:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car in '05 with 95km and now has 166km. I'll first start off with the good qualities: comfortable luxury interior with good sound system. Has good power and fun to drive. Now the problems. Non stop idle problems. I have had many parts changed and still no luck. It seems like the check engine light is always on for something. To this day I still have idle problems which the dealership wants $2400 to change the computer. There is also some rust starting on the body. Other than that, it's been a decent car.

Very disappointed
By Maxima Girl on 06/02/08 09:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 4 Maximas and this is by far the worse one I have owned. I have replaced 2 sensors, the exhaust, the air flow meter, the signal light flashes very fast when you turn it on to make a left hand turn, and the leather on the driver's seat is cracking. And I have only owned the car for 3 1/2 months!

1 2 3 4 5 next »