Used 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Reliable at 120,000 miles
By maxima155

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First purchased my certified pre-owned Nissan Maxima in 2008 with 62,000 miles. I currently have over 120,000 miles on the car and is still reliable. The car is not as fun to drive as a BMW 3 series, but has been very affordable to maintain. Most of the repairs I have had done is wear and tear items. Brakes, rotors, exhaust, radiator, tires. Engine and transmission are utterly brilliant. Tip top shape and are extremely quiet. The car does have a few problems: service engine soon light has a faultily sensor, failing speed sensors cause the TCS to come on and off, and the BOSE subwoofer shorts out sometimes. Also, leather rips due to heated seats.

Engine is extremely quiet. Seats are extremely comfortable for long journeys. Interior materials are higher quality and are not cheap, environmental plastic. Excellent leg room in the front and back. Car acceleration is excellent with proper engine maintenance.

Car does understeer going around corners. Wish the car had a 4WD or rear-wheel drive option for the snow or wet weather. Ride is not exceptional, but not horrid either. I replaced the rotors with Nissan parts to improve the ride and it feels firm, yet squishy at the same time. Overall, a brilliant car and has become an excellent addition to the family.

Love my 2001 Maxima GLE!
By xrichardx

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

WONDERFUL car! I bought it used in July, 2003 after literally months & months of research. You may not believe me, but I now have almost 170,000 miles on it, and there is NOT EVEN ONE RATTLE while driving! Its computer chip went out at about 150,000 miles, but I found a good used one online for about $250. And that is the only time it did not fire up and go. It has been extraordinarily reliable. Had to get seat covers for the leather seats, but the Texas sun where I live eats up leather seats on any car. I replaced the driver's seat at about 140,000 miles because two of the power motors in it went out, and it was less expensive to replace the whole seat with a used one from a salvage yard than replace the motors in the original. Factory Bose stereo system w/ subwoofer still is crisp & LOUD w/ no distortion. I get 23-27 mpg depending on the amount of city/highway driving I do, and it still does not burn one drop of oil between changes. Power seats are adjustable every way imaginable, & those front seats are more comfortable than most living room furniture, no kidding. Has pass-through from truck to back seats. This is far and away the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I have been through seven other foreign & domestic cars & trucks before I was lucky enough to find this one. Test drove a Chrysler 300M right before test driving the Maxima, and the American vehicle was a joke, absolute junk, compared to this one. I remember saying to my son at the time, "This car is amazing. You just THINK what you want it to do and it does it." I honestly expect to get 250,000-300,000 miles out of it, and I highly recommend this model year and other Maxima model years without any reservations whatsoever. Just a wonderful, wonderful vehicle!

Reliability, comfort, precise handling, power, gas mileage for its class, & NO RATTLES.

Higher-quality interior & exterior materials, such as leather, components of console, power seat motors, and paint.

Expensive Repairs
By Richard B

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very expensive to repair. Complete brakes over $1000, Alternator $1000, Check engine light, coil, o2 & Knock sensor's $1000 and counting. Clock to small and located in the wrong place, Small trunk, seats tear easily. Can't get sticker with check engine light always on.

The day I get rid of it.

It's a Dud!
By Greg

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2001 due to it's great handling and performance. Unfortunately, I had no way of knowing how cheap Nissan had gone on the parts. O2 sensors, mass airflow sensors, busted muffler, warped door to the gas tank, electrical system issues...I can go on and on. My advice is to stay away!

Great pickup and handling.

Better quality!

Some good some bad
By Steves2k1

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the car with 62k miles still have it at 118k today. Overall solid car, minus the constant idle problem which no one can find a solution for, coils, and squeaky front end. OH yeah and rear wind noise is wayyy too loud!..other than that fast fun car to drive. Must use premium for maximum performance. And never take the car to the dealership once you are out of warranty.

VQ engine