Used 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Excellent Car!!
By Rachel

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased two brand new Nissan Maxima's 2001 Limited Edition cars (made in Japan). After I bought mine, he loved it so much, he bought one. I still have mine and it is an awesome car! I have maintained all regular maintenance & service on it and the items that needed repair (catalytic converter and alternator) were covered under warranty. This is the second Maxima (& 4th Nissan) I've owned and it is very fast, has great pick-up and is still stylish (after 7 years). My husband just traded his car in because he wanted a 4 cylinder and now misses his Maxima. The Bose system has incredible sound, all controls & power items still work, no problems with leather or paint! Buy one!!

Favorite Features

I love having the controls on the steering wheel. Fog lights add sporty look. The reverse illuminated dash looks great & reads well-especially at night. Bose sound system is awesome! A lot of front leg room (I'm 5'11), love lumbar support in driver's seat. Lots of trunk room & fold down back seats.

Suggested Improvements

The original tires that came with the car had to be replaced at 30K (rated as 40K tires). The replacement tires were $200+ each (best deal).

20th Anniv. Review
By Robert

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 2001 Nissan Maxima is a very reliable and fun car to drive. In the past six years I have never had to have my car towed. I recommend anyone looking for a new car to test drive the Nissan Maxima.

Favorite Features

Electric sunroof, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

A little bit more room for the rear passengers.

What a blast !!!
By Randy

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

What a blast to drivel. The only things that I would change would be the front-wheel drive (too much torque steer) and a more powerful sub for the somewhat weak BOSE system. I've had no mechanical problems - only routine servicing and a flat. But, my front driver's seat is splitting in a few places. The car's got a big backside, so high speed road handling is not a stable as I'd like. But, it IS a sedan. And, a big one at that. U-turns aren't always made either. But, I got the 20th Anniversary edition, and I love the subtle fascia and body kit extras that come with it. I just wish there was more of a difference between it and the normal SE edition.

Favorite Features

Power. Looks. 3 gear 45-90mph acceleration. Amenities.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage: even when I use cruise control at 65mph, I can barely get 30 mpg. I usually get about 22 mpg overall driving. All-wheel drive. Too much power for front wheel drive vehicle. I wonder what the 260 and 265 horsepower Maximas drive like. I only have 227 hp.

20th Anniversary Edition Maxima
By Brooklynborn

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th Maxima and I absolutely love this car. I've had it 4 and a half years now. The car rides smooth and quiet. It has a strong 227 Hp engine, the same one found in the 2001 Infinity I30. 4900 miles on it and still performs like new. No problems to report. All I've done to this car is replaced the tires when needed. The reliability of this car is excellent. This is exactly why I buy Maximas and nothing else, it's the best car for the money. I'm about to buy a 2006 Maxima. I've received many great offers on my car to sell.

Favorite Features

Anyone ever noticed how roomy the back seats of this car is? Great looking aerodynamic body kit and nice wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires and better leather. My driver seat's leather ripped in several places from normal everday use.

My Maxima
By 2 Time Maxima Owner!

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 01' 20th Anniversary Special Edition is a wonderful vehical inside and out, including the mechanical parts. Nissan builds wonderful cars and the safety features are great. The car rides just as you move the steering wheel and stops on the dime. No hesitations! This is my second Maxima, previously owning a 95'. The bang is not as strong but it drives just as well. I feel extremely safe in Maxima's. The 95' Nissan was my first car, I thought I was in the Indy 500 and should have been dead 3x's. However, have been driving the Maxima saved my life.

Favorite Features

The wheels, The 6 CD change in the trunk, the sport package, the steering wheel radio controls, even the pedals.

Suggested Improvements

The leather seats need more give to them. I am just a 120 lb female and the seats are ripping, there is no give or pull in front nor rear seats. All seats are ripping at the seams and in the middle of the leather in many different areas.