Used 2001 Nissan Maxima GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

My Maxima
By Sheliteful

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car for 9,000 in Jan 2006, it had 80,000 miles and was in exceptional shape, clean engine, clean interior with a couple of superficial tiny scratches. It now has over 104,00 miles on it and this year marked the first time i had to have any work done ....New Alternator, belts & battery, pretty good considering the battery and belts were the originals along with the alternator. Its a great car, rides smooth, can hardly hear the engine, everything still works...a/c, steering wheel audio control and cruise control. The headlamps do tend to cloud & I feel they are a not as bright as they should be.The front passenger window moves up and down extremely slow (Has since i bought it)

The way it handles...comfortable seating, roomy, reliable & just a dang good car!!

Front head lamps need to be brighter & maybe up a bit higher, Otherwise, no complaints...I was a Chevy/VW person for 30 years....still am but love My Maxima!!

RG 1 Maxima
By Rick

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

During the 8 years I have owned since new, I have put new brakes once, new tires twice, one new radiator at 150000 miles and now the struts need replacing. If this were a ford focus or whatever it would now be around in this good a condition. Also my actual miles per gallon is city 21 highway 27

Very Dissapointed
By Corey

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I never thought I would write a bad review for a Maxima. I bought this car as a certified used car with 60k and 2 years old. As soon as the warranty ran out the lights on the Bose stereo as well as the component lights went out. The passenger window will not roll up. The leather is tearing in the front seats. The steering makes a turkey noise. The front and rear brakes and shocks went out at the same time but probably was due for service. Great engine I have had no problems with it. The power is great as long as you don't have 4 people in there. This is my 3rd maxima and the others lasted to 200k miles, this one will not.

Bose stereo and great performance.

Interior mechanical reliability. Gas mileage seems to be getting lower and lower. Leather does not hold up.

Rocket Update
By rudepuppy

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Original review 02-14-2003. A very good car, now with 64,000 miles. I dropped my comfort rating from 9 to 8 because I have tired of the firm ride. Economy rating from 9 to 8 because we avg. 24 mpg, down from 27 mpg first 3 years. Quality rating from 10 to 9 - anyone else have peeling paint? I washed the car this week, and paint is coming off the hood in quarter sized pieces - NOT GOOD! We'll see how Nissan stands behind their cars now.

Still love the power, but wind and road noise is noticable now. Roomy, but back seat passengers say seat too firm; however, they don't get carsick. 6 speaker stereo is clear, but now distorting on deep base. Interior style fresh, but creaks and rattles. Hey, I expect a lot from a car made in Japan.

Repairs to date: pwr. window switch (under warranty), shifter lockout relay ($5, but time consuming), wheel bearing failed ($80 for spindle assy.)I was able to do all the work, so the car has cost VERY LITTLE to drive. I'm pleased with the car, but Nissan has not made me a firm believer.

A front-drive Bimmer
By David Jones

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a Maxima and finally found a great deal on a 5sp GXE. obviously the nissan V6 is well known and i can feel all 222hp and 210lbft of torque in any gear. The clutch took awhile to master and the shift throws are a bit long and notchy but the power makes shifting largely optional anyway. Interior build quality could be better in places but the overall design is just right. Interior room and fuel economy are excellent, although the latter is balanced out by the need for 91 octane fuel. Exterior design is unique, though not quite beautiful. After driving 7000 mi, the car now has 52,500 mi and has needed only a reflash of the catalytic converter (covered under warranty).

This engine is to die for. I sometimes think of excuses to run errands just so I can hear it. Style, interior room, and fuel economy are also very good, and the steering is quick and well-weighted. The dashboard vents have a unique style and the guages are paragons of clarity.

Shifter can be a bit balky and the engagement feel is just average. The brakes are prone to fading after a couple of stops. Cheap center console plastic and a few persistent rattles are annoying, and the trunk isnt very well finished. Other than rims and window tint i plan to make no modifications