2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
RELIABLE
By southwest7 on 07/19/14 16:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 226,000 miles on my Maxima, and wouldn't hesitate to go on a road trip in it right now. The need for the catalytic converter to be replaced is about the most expensive thing I've experienced, which doesn't affect the performance of car, just satisfying emissions needs. Otherwise just a radiator, alternator, shocks/struts and starter needed replacement after 100,000 miles which is to be expected for a 13year old car. It starts and runs no problem, All my Nissan's have been good reliable vehicles.

Reliable at 120,000 miles
By maxima155 on 02/13/14 12:25 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First purchased my certified pre-owned Nissan Maxima in 2008 with 62,000 miles. I currently have over 120,000 miles on the car and is still reliable. The car is not as fun to drive as a BMW 3 series, but has been very affordable to maintain. Most of the repairs I have had done is wear and tear items. Brakes, rotors, exhaust, radiator, tires. Engine and transmission are utterly brilliant. Tip top shape and are extremely quiet. The car does have a few problems: service engine soon light has a faultily sensor, failing speed sensors cause the TCS to come on and off, and the BOSE subwoofer shorts out sometimes. Also, leather rips due to heated seats.

Love My Maxima
By carolinagirl7 on 02/12/13 12:40 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2001 Nissan Maxima in Dec 2003 and it has been a great car! Love the way it handles. It's roomy and very comfortable. It now has 194k miles and still going strong. Only regular maintenance done over the 10 years I've owned the car. When I sell this one, I hope to get another Maxima.

Love my 2001 Maxima GLE!
By xrichardx on 06/13/11 23:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

WONDERFUL car! I bought it used in July, 2003 after literally months & months of research. You may not believe me, but I now have almost 170,000 miles on it, and there is NOT EVEN ONE RATTLE while driving! Its computer chip went out at about 150,000 miles, but I found a good used one online for about $250. And that is the only time it did not fire up and go. It has been extraordinarily reliable. Had to get seat covers for the leather seats, but the Texas sun where I live eats up leather seats on any car. I replaced the driver's seat at about 140,000 miles because two of the power motors in it went out, and it was less expensive to replace the whole seat with a used one from a salvage yard than replace the motors in the original. Factory Bose stereo system w/ subwoofer still is crisp & LOUD w/ no distortion. I get 23-27 mpg depending on the amount of city/highway driving I do, and it still does not burn one drop of oil between changes. Power seats are adjustable every way imaginable, & those front seats are more comfortable than most living room furniture, no kidding. Has pass-through from truck to back seats. This is far and away the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I have been through seven other foreign & domestic cars & trucks before I was lucky enough to find this one. Test drove a Chrysler 300M right before test driving the Maxima, and the American vehicle was a joke, absolute junk, compared to this one. I remember saying to my son at the time, "This car is amazing. You just THINK what you want it to do and it does it." I honestly expect to get 250,000-300,000 miles out of it, and I highly recommend this model year and other Maxima model years without any reservations whatsoever. Just a wonderful, wonderful vehicle!

LOVE my Maxima
By eric_n26 on 03/11/11 08:34 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 01 Maxima SE with every available option ($31,500 sticker) from the original owner in 2007 with 106k miles on it. It just rolled over to 145k miles and I know it would run to 200k easily. Things I love about this car are the sports-sedan styling, the extremely powerful and silky V6, it's good interior space, & high-quality fit and finish. My car has been very reliable and the engine and tranny are great. To date, I've had to fix a rear ABS wheel sensor, the catalytic converter, new alternator, and a hinge and spring for the fuel door rusted off. It is also starting to rust where the rear plastic bumper meets the metal body frame on both sides of the car, leaving orange-ish stains

Alternator
By jolene on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my car for 5 yrs. Have had 4 alternators put in. Was left stranded again. Shop says nothing wrong with alternator or battery. Must be a short some where.

5th Gen 2000-02 are best
By Johns on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased new w/Infinity all-leather interior. 130K miles. I take good care of it. Still looks great w/a few minor paint touch-ups. Wonderful car for the S.W. and high-speed touring. Good power/weight ratio. 21 mpg city, 28 highway at 80+mph. Unmatched visibility for touring and safety. Roomy inside and comfortable rear seat for passengers up to 6' tall. Great driving car with ample power. Good human factors design for driver - everything obvious and handy. Replaced all 4 O2 sensors, starter, radiator and alternator between 105K & 120K miles, front camber kit and rotors are due. Regular maintenance w/synthetic oil. Altogether a great car that's fun to drive w/a lot of good miles left in it.

Love the 20th anniversary edition
By wyatt808 on 09/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Awesome car, but i bought it from a bad previous owner who put a tremendous amount of miles on it in the year before i bought it. It needed new rotors, brake pads, belts, & MAF. Eventually it needed 2 o2 sensors, but they were due anyway and are cheap. If you get drilled & slotted rotors, you should have no problems with warping.

Don't Do It
By Justin on 08/04/10 10:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Maxima with 33k miles in 2004. Ran great and very reliable until around 2008. The maxima began to barrage me with check engine lights, needed an 02 sensor, brakes, MAF problems, muffler holes, and the list goes on. The car now has 124k miles and it is time to move on. As soon as I get one thing fixed, another thing goes down and I can't keep up with it. The car is very fun to own and I love the look and power of it but I can't keep up with the maintenance. According to the internet, 2001 Maximas are prone to every problem you can think of! Don't buy one!

Long Term Relationship
By Original Owner on 03/20/10 19:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new and now have 185,000 miles. A great car to own that has never left us stranded. Other than needing front rotors every 20k miles, it is a very low maintenance car. A few of the dash lights work when they want to and the check engine light stays on from time to time. Dealer says no car throws a check engine code more frequently than this generation of Maxima but not to worry about it. Interior has held up amazing despite my now 7 year old. Rust is starting around the rear wheel wells so we are shopping for a new car. Prefer to stick with Nissan since this car has been so much better than my BMW's.