Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Parting is such sweet sorrow
By nlangdell

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I finally had to let it go at 177000 miles and 14 years old. Talk about take a lickin and keep on tickin! I sure wish it hadn't become a rust bucket. She started every morning even on cold ones and that's -05 or more.

This car is so comfortable to drive. I have leather, loaded. But things did go wrong with it. The radio was gone at 100,000, The cup holder lid between the seats broke, and the sun roof quit in the last week. What can I say, I think she was sad because she saw my roaming eye...

My major complaint would be the rust issue. It's hard to part with a vehicle that starts every morning, but she wouldn't pass another inspection with the rot. All in all, if you find a clean one, it should keep you happy for quite a while.

RELIABLE
By southwest7

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 226,000 miles on my Maxima, and wouldn't hesitate to go on a road trip in it right now. The need for the catalytic converter to be replaced is about the most expensive thing I've experienced, which doesn't affect the performance of car, just satisfying emissions needs. Otherwise just a radiator, alternator, shocks/struts and starter needed replacement after 100,000 miles which is to be expected for a 13year old car. It starts and runs no problem, All my Nissan's have been good reliable vehicles.

I haven't had to invest a lot of money to keep it running

Clock is small and hard to see, some parts of trim not sturdy

Reliable at 120,000 miles
By maxima155

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First purchased my certified pre-owned Nissan Maxima in 2008 with 62,000 miles. I currently have over 120,000 miles on the car and is still reliable. The car is not as fun to drive as a BMW 3 series, but has been very affordable to maintain. Most of the repairs I have had done is wear and tear items. Brakes, rotors, exhaust, radiator, tires. Engine and transmission are utterly brilliant. Tip top shape and are extremely quiet. The car does have a few problems: service engine soon light has a faultily sensor, failing speed sensors cause the TCS to come on and off, and the BOSE subwoofer shorts out sometimes. Also, leather rips due to heated seats.

Engine is extremely quiet. Seats are extremely comfortable for long journeys. Interior materials are higher quality and are not cheap, environmental plastic. Excellent leg room in the front and back. Car acceleration is excellent with proper engine maintenance.

Car does understeer going around corners. Wish the car had a 4WD or rear-wheel drive option for the snow or wet weather. Ride is not exceptional, but not horrid either. I replaced the rotors with Nissan parts to improve the ride and it feels firm, yet squishy at the same time. Overall, a brilliant car and has become an excellent addition to the family.

Love My Maxima
By carolinagirl7

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2001 Nissan Maxima in Dec 2003 and it has been a great car! Love the way it handles. It's roomy and very comfortable. It now has 194k miles and still going strong. Only regular maintenance done over the 10 years I've owned the car. When I sell this one, I hope to get another Maxima.

Body style is nice and the road handling is excellent. Fun to drive. The Michelin low-profile tires really hug the road.

Love my 2001 Maxima GLE!
By xrichardx

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

WONDERFUL car! I bought it used in July, 2003 after literally months & months of research. You may not believe me, but I now have almost 170,000 miles on it, and there is NOT EVEN ONE RATTLE while driving! Its computer chip went out at about 150,000 miles, but I found a good used one online for about $250. And that is the only time it did not fire up and go. It has been extraordinarily reliable. Had to get seat covers for the leather seats, but the Texas sun where I live eats up leather seats on any car. I replaced the driver's seat at about 140,000 miles because two of the power motors in it went out, and it was less expensive to replace the whole seat with a used one from a salvage yard than replace the motors in the original. Factory Bose stereo system w/ subwoofer still is crisp & LOUD w/ no distortion. I get 23-27 mpg depending on the amount of city/highway driving I do, and it still does not burn one drop of oil between changes. Power seats are adjustable every way imaginable, & those front seats are more comfortable than most living room furniture, no kidding. Has pass-through from truck to back seats. This is far and away the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I have been through seven other foreign & domestic cars & trucks before I was lucky enough to find this one. Test drove a Chrysler 300M right before test driving the Maxima, and the American vehicle was a joke, absolute junk, compared to this one. I remember saying to my son at the time, "This car is amazing. You just THINK what you want it to do and it does it." I honestly expect to get 250,000-300,000 miles out of it, and I highly recommend this model year and other Maxima model years without any reservations whatsoever. Just a wonderful, wonderful vehicle!

Reliability, comfort, precise handling, power, gas mileage for its class, & NO RATTLES.

Higher-quality interior & exterior materials, such as leather, components of console, power seat motors, and paint.