Family Man Fun
By MR. E on
2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan
Purchased new SE as a demo with 7k miles. There weren't many choices for a sporty 4 door with a manual tranny. The newly lengthened '00 was bigger than an A6 or 5xx BMW and cost much less. It has lots of legroom and the leather interior is still holding up even with two kids. After 8 years it is still fun to drive and comfy on road trips. With 100k miles I get 24/28 running 89 fuel. I drive more gently now. The exterior has held up pretty well even with occasional modifications in the parking lot. Because of the reliability, I won't consider a new Maxima to replace my '00 unless they include a FREE 100k bumper to bumper warranty.
Favorite Features
Sporty engine/manual combo. Roomy leather interior with nice power creature comforts. Sporty suspension and still comfy and long legged on the highway. Engine is smooth at low RPM now that I take it easy to improve mpg.
Suggested Improvements
Drop a dime on build quality. Nissan had a nice design but went cheap on the materials. Replaced 6 coils, exhaust, MAF, O2 sensors (this improved my mpg), and more. Check engine light is always on. Down to one worn key fob. Both keys have broken loops because I dropped them from about 3 feet.