Used 2000 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 199 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Fun money pit
By howy67

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 10/2003 with 28000 miles on it, coming off a fleet lease. Now has 73000 miles. Wife's car - she enjoys the car, good visibility for short petite person. Grown kids refer to it as the green goblin. It's a nice solid, if overpowered car. Expensive repairs over the long haul (e.g. MAF, coils, muffler, gas vent canister, ball joint,drive shaft boots). No go in snow-overpowered, skidish.

Fun to drive. Peppy to the extreme. GLE nicely appointed. Enjoy the sound system.

Reliability not what I expect. Regret selling a 95 Avalon w/ 135000 miles just routine maintenance-no big ticket repairs there. Unhappy about repairs.

By MC Hammer

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from another Maxima enthusiast. Have some upgrades. Sway bars on the front and back. 2004 Maxima front brakes which gave it larger rotors. KN intake system. Love the 5 speed. Smokes both front tires for along as I want. Face it, I got a good one!! Cruises nicely at 100 mph and has plenty left. I replaced the front struts and tinted the windows. With proper maintenance this car will last. I did replace 2 coils and a starter but so what. No problem with anything else. I have seen some very expensive repair bills. I believe some of the people need to shop around because they are paying WAY TOO much.

Bose stereo, power, roomy, nice leather, handling, oh did say power

Better coils, still trying to figure out how to replace a fog lamp, hard to get to.

Family Man Fun
By MR. E

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased new SE as a demo with 7k miles. There weren't many choices for a sporty 4 door with a manual tranny. The newly lengthened '00 was bigger than an A6 or 5xx BMW and cost much less. It has lots of legroom and the leather interior is still holding up even with two kids. After 8 years it is still fun to drive and comfy on road trips. With 100k miles I get 24/28 running 89 fuel. I drive more gently now. The exterior has held up pretty well even with occasional modifications in the parking lot. Because of the reliability, I won't consider a new Maxima to replace my '00 unless they include a FREE 100k bumper to bumper warranty.

Sporty engine/manual combo. Roomy leather interior with nice power creature comforts. Sporty suspension and still comfy and long legged on the highway. Engine is smooth at low RPM now that I take it easy to improve mpg.

Drop a dime on build quality. Nissan had a nice design but went cheap on the materials. Replaced 6 coils, exhaust, MAF, O2 sensors (this improved my mpg), and more. Check engine light is always on. Down to one worn key fob. Both keys have broken loops because I dropped them from about 3 feet.

It's a Nissan!
By Josh

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought in 2005, with 70,000 miles, as a good compromise between power and economy. Overall, have been dissatisfied with the experience. I have replaced 2 sets of brakes, and they have begun to make noise again. Suspension has aged poorly, especially in rear, transmission slips (and is more to fix than the car is worth to me). I have put a lot of highway miles on the car (60,000), and it has not taken them well. Fortunately, I installed an expensive aftermarket stereo, which drowns out most of the road, wind, and mechanical noises the car makes. Requires premium fuel for not-so-snappy performance. I have also had to replace coils, radiator, and thermostat. Engineering is mediocre at best.

Exterior styling is nice, alloy wheels look decent.

Coils should not sequentially fail, chintzy armrest compartment, premium fuel is a waste, transmission that will hold up under a 220 horsepower load, better acceleration, handling, braking and reliability.

Quality car
By duke

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is an update of an earlier review of my 2000 Maxima. I've owned it now for 3 1/2 years and I have to say that overall, it is the best car that I have ever owned. Objectively speaking, this is a quality car, with few problem issues. Yes, I have had to spend $700 to replace the ignition coils (as mentioned by many 2000 Maxima owners), plus another $250 or so to replace an O2 sensor. However, overall, it has been a very good value and near-luxury in execution. It now has 120,000 miles on it and the engine is as strong as ever. It needs minor bodywork, but I have decided that I will get that done, as I plan to drive this baby for another 3 years.

Engine, acceleration, overall solid quality, stock stereo not too bad, cloth seats are very comfortable, great for long trips, cruise control, steering, fold down rear seats. Yes, I would buy another Maxima.

Nissan should have recalled those ignition coils! They turned away a lot of their customers on that one. The suspension could still use a bit of work, too many noises and sometimes bottoms out. The auto climate control often doesn't deliver the proper temperature based on the desired setting.