Used 2000 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2000 Nissan GXE
By Brooke

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I was the original owner of this vehicle. With regular oil changes every 3,000 miles, this car has held up very well. I had to replace the fan assembly because the bearings went out on one of the fans. Nissan would not replace just the bad fan which cost me about $400 more than it should have. I lost a key, because as previously mentioned the plastic top part of the key broke. I have also had the throttle body cleaned 3 times which has made a huge difference in performance every time. I have 180,000 miles total on this car and would not hesitate to purchase another. The downside is, the base price for the Maxima has gone up $8000 since 2000.

The homelink, in the visor garage door opener, is the best feature on this vehicle.

Get the pricing on the 2009 Maxima down in the range of the Toyota Camry instead of a BMW 3 series.

2000 Maxima SE
By Jay

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I'm at 151k miles on this 2000 SE model and still love this car. Great speed, comfort, and looks. I just recently encountered the coils issue that will need repair but otherwise it's been a GREAT car. At 6'4" tall, I've had plenty of leg room and good back support on long rides. I don't recommend Z-rating tires on the car though as you can wear them out quickly and at $250 a tire to replace, regular tires will do the trick for this speed and handling.

Bose radio, exceptional response to putting the foot to the accelerator, comfortable leather seats with great back support, AC is cold in the summer and very quick heating of the interior in the winter.

The coils for the ignition/electrical system.

Best Car I've Owned
By SoonToBeME

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

My car has 191,000 miles and she's still purring. Most reliable car I've ever owned. I am astounded at the people on here who spent $600-$700 dollars on ignition coils. Yes, four of mine have been replaced, but it's as simple as a couple screws and a plug. I got mine for $50/ea. and installed them myself. I'm no mechanic. I'll drive this car till the engine dies, and honestly I don't see that happening for a long time. Great car, and if you're here you're thinking of buying one. My suggestion is absolutely do it... you'll never regret it.

Great Bose radio, climate control rocks, heated seats, heated side mirrors, and I like my interior better than almost all of the new cars I've looked at. Reliable as it gets.

More low end torque wouldn't be bad, but I can't complain. They should have recalled the coils, but if you run into that problem buy the part and replace it yourself... it's very, very easy, and the new coils have been corrected so you won't have the problem again.

A long term love
By lovin_the_maxima

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I owned this car for 5 years and put about 100,000 miles on it. I absolutely loved this car. It has a cute exterior, and the performance is spectacular. The inside is roomy enough to fit 4 large adults comfortably, and the trunk had plenty of space for all of my camping gear. The 02 sensor was replaced and the tires cost a small fortune, but other than those expenses and regular maintenance (brake replacement, oil changes, etc.), this car was dependable. I commute a long way to work and owned this car for a long time and I never got tired of driving it.

Sound system, sunroof, interior space, engine performance, still looked nice after a lot of wear and tear.

The turning radius is pathetic for parking, no steering wheel controls, no traction control; no manual shift option; electric window motors are weak; expensive repairs, parts and tires; fast tire wearing

Fun money pit
By howy67

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 10/2003 with 28000 miles on it, coming off a fleet lease. Now has 73000 miles. Wife's car - she enjoys the car, good visibility for short petite person. Grown kids refer to it as the green goblin. It's a nice solid, if overpowered car. Expensive repairs over the long haul (e.g. MAF, coils, muffler, gas vent canister, ball joint,drive shaft boots). No go in snow-overpowered, skidish.

Fun to drive. Peppy to the extreme. GLE nicely appointed. Enjoy the sound system.

Reliability not what I expect. Regret selling a 95 Avalon w/ 135000 miles just routine maintenance-no big ticket repairs there. Unhappy about repairs.