2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
2000 Nissan Maxima
By alan from California on 12/01/07 00:55 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Maxima used @ 39000 miles. Fell in love with it right away because of the smoothness of the ride and power of the VQ engine that has 222 hp. Good choice in getting the factory extended warranty because the ignition coils and MAF sensor needed to be replaced after I used an 89 octane gas. The engine knocks if you use gas less than 91 octane. Handling is inspiring on winding roads. Bumpy for some but expected for a car with sports tuned suspension per factory description. I wasn't impressed with the Bose stereo so I replaced the system.

2000 Nissan Maxima
By Nissan Guy on 10/16/07 18:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Hello all, I've had my Nissan Maxima for about 4 yrs now. Not a bad car, it had 24,000 mi on it when I bought it in 2003, now has 112,500 mi on it. Besides the normal wear and tear, oil changes, expensive tires, I had to replace the front and rear rotors, both rear calipers, they leaked brake fluid. Had 1 ignition coil replaced at about 105,000 mi, that cost me $600. That was just one, they told me that the years 2000 to 2001 the coils were junk, so if you have one of those years, and you have not replaced them yet, you're lucky. Had to have the CPU reprogrammed, engine light came on due to the increase in ethanol to 10% from 5%. Its a very fast car with lots of power, I'd buy another Nissan!

Quality Maxima!
By duke on 09/30/07 18:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I've had this 2000 model for almost 3 years now and except for an O2 sensor and ignition coils that needed to be replaced, this car has been trouble free and is obviously very well made. Quality and comfort throughout and absolutely tremendous driving long distances on the highway. Gas mileage goes up to about 27 mpg on the highway.

Review of 2000 Maxima
By LS on 08/06/07 18:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had to replace the catalytic converter (cost approx $2000). I keep up standard maintenance. The performance and handling are great. I really am pleased with this car.

Would Like Fewer Repairs
By G. Mains on 06/27/07 09:40 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought it when it came off a two year lease with 32k on it and now have 89k. Have had it now for almost 5 years. Have replaced MAF sensor, O2 sensor, both rear brake calipers, 1 rear brake rotor, and 1 power seat motor. So much more than what I had to do with a previous 96 Camry that didn't need anything until PS work at 107k. Also much more engine and road noise so it's not as quiet as I am used to but somewhat more fun to drive, and handles better. Exhaust system started to rattle (now fixed) and there is a rattle in the front passenger door (I think) that is driving me nuts, and can't seem to get fixed. These rattles make the car seem cheap. Leather seats have held up well.

Wonderful car... when it works
By Barticus on 04/20/07 10:45 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car 2 years old and have had a constant stream of problems. Over four years of ownership I have invested $3-4000 NOT including $3000 worth of tires and brakes, and I still have close to $2000 of repairs outstanding. I'm never buying another Nissan. A list of things repaired include transmission, daytime running lights module, heater control electronics, air temp sensor, exhaust temp sensor .

Excellent Long Term Vehicle
By dave on 04/08/07 09:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Great vehicle all-around. This car has had no repairs needed in 6.5 years of new car ownership (106k miles so far). Swap out the oil, filters, brakes, fluids, wiper blades, tires now and then and she keeps right on rolling along. Great commuter car.

Love it!
By Tracy on 03/24/07 22:26 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Where do I begin? I love everything about this car. Large trunk, roomy interior - husband 6'2" and rides comfortably, low maintenance, good gas mileage, smooth quiet ride, strong engine, beautiful car.

Awesome engine, rest of car above okay.
By keanuration on 02/12/07 15:51 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This Max has been a legacy in my family. Started off with a 88 that was ahead of it's time. Now the 00 max was heading in the right direction until its design team hit a block. What were they thinking of, the back end is simply ugly. However, set aside the exterior design and you have a solid core, with the engine, durability, electronics, and very useful vast space of cargo and seating. The Bose is tops with more than adequate bass. The SE has the ability to handle the road due to it's sports suspension. Very practical for a family sedan with a slight tendency to sportiness. The mileage proved itself @ 24mpg on avg, not too shabby for a 222 hp quasi- racer. Not too much road/wind noise.

Best Car I've ever owned
By James B Beavan III on 01/12/07 12:39 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I put over 118,000 miles on this car over the years and did many modifications to make it even sportier. The car has a great engine, interior and exterior. With a few brake, spring and exhaust mods this car can be somewhat fast and handle really well. The Bose CD/tape deck sounds great and the power features are really good. I only had one major repair ($600 for ignition coils) prior to the transmission dying at 118K.