Used 2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 199 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

$1450+a tranny!
By Brian-Las Vegas

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car 4 yrs. During the 1st week of Feb. '05 I spent $1450 on replacing the ignition coils, mass airflow sensor & throttle response sensor. Nissan should of extended the warranty on the coils. Nissan is well aware that the coils are junk! In addition to the above the dealer replaced the A/T under warranty at 58,500 miles. I have never had a transmission fail at such low mileage! The rebuilt unit is only warranteed for 12/12. I am a preventive maintenance junkie. I installed an external A/T cooler in series with the factory unit. The transmission was serviced twice in 58,500 miles. This should never of happened. I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANOTHER NISSAN!!

Power & handling.

Quality, reliability & customer satisfaction!

Nissan-never again!
By Carl

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Between 58,000 & 58,500 I had to replace all 6 ignition coils ($490), the Mass Airflow Sensor ($538), the Throttle Response Sensor ($393). The A/T also had to be replaced, under warranty. During the 58,500 miles the A/T was serviced twice and a external cooler installed in series with the factory cooler. I am a preventative maintenance junkie! The transmission failure should never of happened. Nissan is pure junk!! The A/T should of went al least 150,000 miles. The rebuilt replacement has only a 12/12 warranty. I will get rid of this junker before the current warranty runs out! I understand Nissan is now controlled by a French Co. That explains the poor reliability!

Better power train reliability! The A/T took a dump at 58,500 miles.

Love it, but am Disappointed
By klg677

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned two Nissan Maximas, a 1990 and a 2000 SE. I purchased the 2000 SE in 10/2002. Unfortunately the 2000 model has been the problem child. First the coils went which cost $750 to fix. Then the altenator, I know these things happen wtih cars none are totally maintenance free, but after reading some of the reviews and seeing the coils mentioned over and over I wonder why they haven't been recalled yet. Incidentally the 1990 SE is still going strong with no major problems.

Engine power and setero.

Reliability. Admit there is a problem with the coils in the 2000 model and recall it.

Very Nice Vehicle
By Joe

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This has been an exceptional vehicle for my wife. She is very hard on her vehicles and this car has taken a beating for 72,000 miles and is still going strong. The only issues we have had with the car is the rear window switch broke and the oil pan screw stripped when it was screwed in incorrectly. All around this is a exceptional vehicle but it was a little pricey.

Acceleration and very comfortable for a midsize vehicle. Great engine and good workmanship. A very tight and solid car.

Bring the price tag down a little.

Awesome Nissan
By A.R.

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased a 2000 Nissan Maxima. I have no complaints. It handles nice and smooth. I have driven the vehicle cross-country and loved every minute. I would highly suggest purchasing a Maxima, any year.