2000 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews 16

2000 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2000 Maxima Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Best car we have ever owned
By jclick

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

My wife has driven the 2000 Maxima more than I have, but the experience of driving this car is unbelievable.The 5 speed shifts wonderfully and the quiteness of such a strong engine and sporty sedan are fantastic. No complaints at all about the car.NO wind noise at HIGHway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

I think Nissan has added options since we bought ours that has been great. I plan to buy a new Maxima but only after we get tired of this one. That does not appear to be soon though.

great car
By woodman

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned 4 nissan and have never had a major problem, I put 260,000 on my last Maxima with out a single problem.

Great car
By gwjensen

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

2000 Maxima GXE, 39,000 miles. Just replaced the stock tires. Could have gotten another 10 - 15k if I had rotated them more frequently. Had the alignment checked - didn't need it. Just had the brakes checked. Mechanic told me I have another 20 - 30k left on the pads. Haven't done anything else other than routine maintenence. I still love driving this car. It drives like new - very tight,no squeeks or rattles. Lots of power and acceleration at all speeds, super smooth automatic transmission, Excellent performance and handling, totally reliable and good fuel economy.

Favorite Features

reliability, performance, handling, acceleration, transmission (automatic), motor, interior ergonomics and space, fit and finish, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Flimsy arm rest. Needs a telescopic steering wheel for optimum driving position.

Outstanding
By Driver987

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Best car for the cash. I've had no problems, and after 3 years still enjoy driving it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Leading HP at the time and outstanding Bose soudsystem.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car had controls for the stereo on the steering wheel. Paint on rubber door trim seems to chip easily.

C'mon Nissan
By East Coast Maxima

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Have had previous Nissans and have always had good experiences with Nissan, but am a bit disappointed in this Maxima. The service engine light has been on several times and car has barely 40K miles on it, also the springs in the drivers seat squeek and creak all the time while driving, and has been doing this since about 25K miles, it's extremely annoying. Dealers don't seem to help. Have a 2000 Quest and have had several mechanical problems as well. One of the main reasons I went with Nissan was for reliability, I've lost a lot of confidence.I do like the Nissan styling and engine performance, and want to love the Maxima, but can't.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, styling, Bose system, heated seats, traction control. Great acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Improve mechanically, should have a better quality feeling for a top of the line car. OMD tires are junk.

Best car to drive
By Max25127

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is the most fun car I've ever owned. It still has original everything after 44,000 miles. It's only been to the body shop when someone smashed it in a parking lot. IT'S NEVER BEEN TO A MECHANIC. All I've done is regular oil changes. But I will get the 50,000 service done soon.

Favorite Features

222 HP! I love hitting on the gas at 80 and still having plenty of jump left. And I love the way it hugs the road in turns.

Suggested Improvements

I saw what they did to the 2003 and I think they need to go back to the 2000 style. The new Altima looks better.

2nd-Timer
By pvd47

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is my second GLE, and I've had nothing but great luck and top-end performance from both of them. I'm especially keen on the GLE's V-6 engine, which I tested against both the Camry V-6 and the Accord V-6 when I was first looking at the Nissan back in 1998. Honda and Toyota may have ugraded their engine performance in the intervening years, but I'd be surprised if either could match the GLE for either power or pickup. A great car, albeit a little pricey and not overly stylish.

Favorite Features

Strong, responsive engine, comfortable ride and smooth handling.

Suggested Improvements

The two-tone interior trim was a little off-putting at first. And they really need to spiff up the exterior a bit.

POOR QUALITY
By henduuu

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I really want to like this car. However, I have had nothing but problems with this car over the past year. Three engine coils (yep, that's half of them) have gone bad over the past six months. In addition, my computer was replaced within the first year, had to be updated again recently and now my oxygen sensor is having problems. I've been into the service department more times with this car than I have with any car previously.

Favorite Features

Car looks nice and drives well. I just need a car that the engine light doesn't come on literally once or more each month.

Suggested Improvements

Build a more reliable product.

2nd Maxima to date
By mphilips

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Overall, this car is sweet. I love the bose system and subwoofer. For a factory system it rocks. The interior layout is simply designed. I couldn't see myself driving a camry or accord. I am happy with my purchase, yet not happy with the reliabily and fit n finish. 40K miles so far. I still have my 87 max, which I still love (87, best max ever)

Favorite Features

bose system, performance and handling

Suggested Improvements

full size spare, rear windows that go all the way down. Better build quality, reliability (my car has been in the shop over 30+ times) and service dept. experience.

Original, Best 4 Door Sports Car
By ILTHOMPSON

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It out performs any other car in the class. I've driven "suped" up Camrys, Acuras, and others and I like my car best.

Favorite Features

Love the torquey powerful V-6. Can't have enuf pep!