2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Fun car, but unreliable
By vegas71 on 11/24/13 02:37 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I loved and hated my maxima. Lots of power, roomy and comfortable, but tons of problems. Fuel gauge was off, ignition coils went bad, and it randomly died on me on the freeway- where people were doing 80 and I had no place to pull over. This was during the three day period I owned it. Car met its demise when I was taking a drive one night and there was a cow... in the middle of the road. Apparently somebody in Nevada thought it was a good idea to create "open range". The brakes on the car were bad and I didn't see it in time. Car was no longer drivable, but I walked away. Reliable? No. Safe in an accident? Very.

could be better
By Dirt E on 07/24/09 00:20 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I expected this car to be reliable but i have had to change a lot with the coils and the sensors. It does have impressive performance and from just a visual perspective it is a beauty, but it shouldn't have that many problems.

2000 Nissan GXE
By Brooke on 02/12/09 20:37 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I was the original owner of this vehicle. With regular oil changes every 3,000 miles, this car has held up very well. I had to replace the fan assembly because the bearings went out on one of the fans. Nissan would not replace just the bad fan which cost me about $400 more than it should have. I lost a key, because as previously mentioned the plastic top part of the key broke. I have also had the throttle body cleaned 3 times which has made a huge difference in performance every time. I have 180,000 miles total on this car and would not hesitate to purchase another. The downside is, the base price for the Maxima has gone up $8000 since 2000.

It's a Nissan!
By Josh on 06/19/08 20:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought in 2005, with 70,000 miles, as a good compromise between power and economy. Overall, have been dissatisfied with the experience. I have replaced 2 sets of brakes, and they have begun to make noise again. Suspension has aged poorly, especially in rear, transmission slips (and is more to fix than the car is worth to me). I have put a lot of highway miles on the car (60,000), and it has not taken them well. Fortunately, I installed an expensive aftermarket stereo, which drowns out most of the road, wind, and mechanical noises the car makes. Requires premium fuel for not-so-snappy performance. I have also had to replace coils, radiator, and thermostat. Engineering is mediocre at best.

Quality car
By duke on 05/20/08 23:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This is an update of an earlier review of my 2000 Maxima. I've owned it now for 3 1/2 years and I have to say that overall, it is the best car that I have ever owned. Objectively speaking, this is a quality car, with few problem issues. Yes, I have had to spend $700 to replace the ignition coils (as mentioned by many 2000 Maxima owners), plus another $250 or so to replace an O2 sensor. However, overall, it has been a very good value and near-luxury in execution. It now has 120,000 miles on it and the engine is as strong as ever. It needs minor bodywork, but I have decided that I will get that done, as I plan to drive this baby for another 3 years.

What's Wrong with Nissan
By WhyMe on 04/14/08 08:17 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I got a great deal on this car and I guess I know why. Being a mechanic, I can tell you these cars have problems not worth fixing. On the 2000-2003 Maxima, the computers give faulty signals saying sensors aren't functioning properly. After manually checking each sensor to determine that the mass-airflow sensor needed to be replaced and not the O2 sensors, I replaced that. In addition, the O2 and cooling sensors will go and they're $200 each for parts and there are 12 total (6 cooling, 6 O2). And that won't fix it. I've now ran all electrical/computer test and the only way to fix it is to take parts off one that runs and put them on mine. Imagine the cost for a non mechanic.

ok car, not great
By Geoff on 03/22/08 07:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Fun car to drive and own. Lots of power when you need it. A very comfortable cruiser. Quality is something to be desired. Maxima has 190 kms. Have had to replace maf, o2 sensors, struts, rotors, and tranny under warrantee. Tranny is now clunking again from 1st to 2nd. Why does nissan build rotors on a new car that are to the min thickness ? My toyota with 190 kms I've only had to replace a block heater and tires, thats it.

Quality Maxima!
By duke on 09/30/07 18:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I've had this 2000 model for almost 3 years now and except for an O2 sensor and ignition coils that needed to be replaced, this car has been trouble free and is obviously very well made. Quality and comfort throughout and absolutely tremendous driving long distances on the highway. Gas mileage goes up to about 27 mpg on the highway.

Review of 2000 Maxima
By LS on 08/06/07 18:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had to replace the catalytic converter (cost approx $2000). I keep up standard maintenance. The performance and handling are great. I really am pleased with this car.

Fun car
By abros on 04/21/06 11:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Great car, fun to drive and very comfortable. Best part is an engine. It gives you whatever you ask for. Build quality is OK, I had a problem with ignition coils and MAF sensor, yet it was not that costly since I replaced it by myself ($400 total cost). I have 60K now and after replace MAF sensor, it runs like new. Good mpg - 27 in mix driving. Sound system and controls are great. I like the dashbord and interior design. Exterior is not that great, yet the idea of the 222 hp gives it respect. This is my first foregn car and what is the difference, tight build quality compare with Fords I had before. I'm not sure my next car will be Max. I would try something else.