Used 2000 Nissan Maxima SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Brilliant
By dreamshot

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

After driving around my parents cars during my four initial driving years, I felt it was time for my own. After some extensive research, I decided on the Maxima. This car has been nothing but reliable and really fun. It has ample passing power and still turns heads at 11 years old. Can't get enough of it and would recommend it to anyone. Also --- At 6'2'' I do just barely fit....

Favorite Features

CD player and cassette double, auto-headlight function, horsepower, acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Ride is slightly stiff IMO, but not too bad.

10 years of fun and reliability
By Maxxed-In

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I put 75k miles on my Max in the first 3 years, no probs other than ignition coils. 28k miles in the next SIX years, only prob has been an O2 sensor (front $$$). This Max has simply been EXTREMELY reliable and FUN (I won't say how fun). This was the last Max made in Japan, I can't speak for US made models.

Favorite Features

Smooth power. Quiet interior (relatively). Handling great for a "Family Sedan". 26 mpg long-haul. RELIABLE. Interior has held-up (leather is good). Body sound, nothing has fallen off the car.

Suggested Improvements

All 6 ignition coils failed 50-55k miles, a Nissan-known issue. Original Bridgestones scrubbed-off in 28k miles. Hood paint chips easily (might not at 55 mph).

Best Car I have Owned
By PSH

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Only one coil pack, an O2 sensor, muffler and a starter is all I have ever replaced in 10 years. It's been a great car. I have to get rid of it because I am driving 100+ per day and need ultimate reliability. I have the 5- speed and get 30.25 MPG doing 65 MPH highway driving. Small rust spot on right-side of truck and driver-side wheel well. Brakes lasted me 75K miles and I'm still on the original rotors.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, quality interior.

Suggested Improvements

Never have used the dealerships for repairs. If Nissan had offered a manual in the new Maxima, I would have considered purchase. But it is no longer the 4-DR sports car.

A nice looking lemon
By Anthony

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a year ago because I heard Nissan are good cars sense then I had to replace spark plugs and compact because of vibration, alternator, now radiator is not keeping any water in it, it stalls out when I'm at a traffic light. I now have a bad taste in mouth concerning this car and on tire time at a $150.00 a piece

Favorite Features

nice looks

Suggested Improvements

build a quality car!

Zippy and agile
By California_Poppy

2000 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I drove a manual 1991 Maxima that got totaled after 219,000 miles, so I bought the manual 2000 right after. It's zippy, agile, smooth, and quiet. My commute is an hour a day, so I'm happy to have a comfortable and reliable car. I get about 300-330 miles per tank. I bought my car in 2007 from a guy who took very good care of it. But in the past three years, I've had to replace the front wheel axle boot, the clutch hydraulic line, and the clutch itself. After ten years, the last didn't surprise me. The O2 sensor gives false readings and has had to be re-set. A friend of mine says to expect to pay about $100 in repairs for each year the car is old, and so far, that's right on target

Favorite Features

Zippy! Agile, smooth, comfortable, above-average stereo, quiet.

Suggested Improvements

O2 sensor, front axle boot problem, maybe the clutch.