Used 2000 Nissan Maxima GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Fun car, but unreliable
By vegas71

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I loved and hated my maxima. Lots of power, roomy and comfortable, but tons of problems. Fuel gauge was off, ignition coils went bad, and it randomly died on me on the freeway- where people were doing 80 and I had no place to pull over. This was during the three day period I owned it. Car met its demise when I was taking a drive one night and there was a cow... in the middle of the road. Apparently somebody in Nevada thought it was a good idea to create "open range". The brakes on the car were bad and I didn't see it in time. Car was no longer drivable, but I walked away. Reliable? No. Safe in an accident? Very.

could be better
By Dirt E

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I expected this car to be reliable but i have had to change a lot with the coils and the sensors. It does have impressive performance and from just a visual perspective it is a beauty, but it shouldn't have that many problems.

Favorite Features

powerful v6, nice styling, great interior and space.

Suggested Improvements

fix sensors and coils. more reliability.

2000 Nissan GXE
By Brooke

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I was the original owner of this vehicle. With regular oil changes every 3,000 miles, this car has held up very well. I had to replace the fan assembly because the bearings went out on one of the fans. Nissan would not replace just the bad fan which cost me about $400 more than it should have. I lost a key, because as previously mentioned the plastic top part of the key broke. I have also had the throttle body cleaned 3 times which has made a huge difference in performance every time. I have 180,000 miles total on this car and would not hesitate to purchase another. The downside is, the base price for the Maxima has gone up $8000 since 2000.

Favorite Features

The homelink, in the visor garage door opener, is the best feature on this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Get the pricing on the 2009 Maxima down in the range of the Toyota Camry instead of a BMW 3 series.

It's a Nissan!
By Josh

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought in 2005, with 70,000 miles, as a good compromise between power and economy. Overall, have been dissatisfied with the experience. I have replaced 2 sets of brakes, and they have begun to make noise again. Suspension has aged poorly, especially in rear, transmission slips (and is more to fix than the car is worth to me). I have put a lot of highway miles on the car (60,000), and it has not taken them well. Fortunately, I installed an expensive aftermarket stereo, which drowns out most of the road, wind, and mechanical noises the car makes. Requires premium fuel for not-so-snappy performance. I have also had to replace coils, radiator, and thermostat. Engineering is mediocre at best.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is nice, alloy wheels look decent.

Suggested Improvements

Coils should not sequentially fail, chintzy armrest compartment, premium fuel is a waste, transmission that will hold up under a 220 horsepower load, better acceleration, handling, braking and reliability.

Quality car
By duke

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is an update of an earlier review of my 2000 Maxima. I've owned it now for 3 1/2 years and I have to say that overall, it is the best car that I have ever owned. Objectively speaking, this is a quality car, with few problem issues. Yes, I have had to spend $700 to replace the ignition coils (as mentioned by many 2000 Maxima owners), plus another $250 or so to replace an O2 sensor. However, overall, it has been a very good value and near-luxury in execution. It now has 120,000 miles on it and the engine is as strong as ever. It needs minor bodywork, but I have decided that I will get that done, as I plan to drive this baby for another 3 years.

Favorite Features

Engine, acceleration, overall solid quality, stock stereo not too bad, cloth seats are very comfortable, great for long trips, cruise control, steering, fold down rear seats. Yes, I would buy another Maxima.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan should have recalled those ignition coils! They turned away a lot of their customers on that one. The suspension could still use a bit of work, too many noises and sometimes bottoms out. The auto climate control often doesn't deliver the proper temperature based on the desired setting.