2000 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Well-Produced but Check engine problems(light only)
By superflykhaeyo on 10/01/12 16:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

+PROS:Looks GREAT inside/out, FUN TO DRIVE, and i get on the highway and never have to slow down, i floor it and im already caught up to traffic. The FOLD-IN side-mirrors help avoid hit-and-run parking lot drivers. -CONS:The suspension is so/so, the ride is just as harsh as a school bus as far as suspension, and its hard to block the sunlight sometimes, My check Engine light would NOT go off no matter how well the car was running, even after i replace the parts the obd reader told me to because The COIL PACKS&O2sens must be original manufactured, meaning mainly dealer parts but some websites have them at wholesale prices from the factory. OTHERWISE the light wont go off even with no faults

Good Performance but
By joenoles1 on 08/30/10 10:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

powerful engine and very comfortable ride. There are some common problems with this vehicle namely, brakes due to crappy rotors, ignition coils, MAF and suspension issues. I have over 150k miles and it has been an excellent vehicle.

A wonderful friend
By Wendy on 08/27/10 10:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001 because (1) the old Sentra died and (2)the test drive of Honda Accord and Toyota Camry at that time were not too good. This car has been so reliable, comfort, and it moves as expected. When stop at up- hill, it does not slid down even tiny bit. When speed up, it picks up right within half second. I have more children now and need a van to carry them but I can't find another good car to replace this dear one!

Delivered In Almost Every Aspect
By I.K on 01/08/10 19:37 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with the idea that I would be obtaining a fun to drive and reliable car. It delivered well on performance, the VQ30 engine is very responsive and extremely smooth and the gearing of the 4 spd. auto transmission is pretty well suited to my sometimes spirited driving style. The ride and handling of of the Max is great; it was smooth enough to drive long distances yet firm enough to take you through the corners, despite it being the GLE model designation. The style is simple yet it works - but thats where it stops because as of recently (The past year or so) I have not been able to catch a break when it came to mechanical issues which is the biggest downfall of the 00 Max.

Good Relief
By d_allison on 12/31/09 14:26 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

After driving a 95 f150 for a while it was a pleasure to drive this car, the fuel mileage was way better, and the performance was outstanding. My only complaint is that it doesn't look the part. the "Bose" sound system is incredible. i wish we had bought the traction control for it cause i don't even go mid throttle sometimes and the wheels just spin away from all the low end torque. This car is an excellent daily driver after driving a 3 ton brute every where. But i would highly recommend this car for anyone who wants a thrill, with an above average fuel economy.

Superb aside from hot start
By thehawk on 12/28/09 13:45 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Supremely comfortable and powerful car. Brilliant interior design features. Quiet on the road. Factory fault is loss of one cylinder intermittently on hot start - before buying one make sure you hot start it ten times and drive a short distance each time. The cylinder loss is shown by engine vibration especially up hills or on throttle. It can last up to 30 minutes and is the ONLY fault I have had in 120,000 miles.

Reliable Car
By Peggy on 06/30/09 15:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I've had this Maxima for almost ten years and have replaced the MAF, an O2 sensor, front axle, and three out of six ignition coils. The coils are easy to replace on your own (especially coils 2, 4, and 6) Anything that's ever broken on it didn't leave me stranded on the road! Overall, this is the most reliable car I've ever owned. It's still quiet as a mouse and rides great. It still gets terrific gas mileage and I run it on 89 octane.

135000 and going strong
By mike inmentor on 04/17/09 05:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

after 135,000 my car runs good and looks good. I also have replaced coils and 02 sensor. Rust on rear wheel wells. The top of one of my keys broke too. I wonder if Nissan reads these comments since so many of these problems are common and have everything to do with quality.

Engine problem help
By david on 04/07/09 12:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Just a heads up to some of you experiencing rough running when cold or TCS light coming on. Three different dealerships couldn't solve the problem. Finally a small private auto repair shop solved the problem. It was two coils AND the intake manifold had a severe vacuum leak throwing off the timing.The coils alone did not solve the problem. Got the coils from Autozone where they are backed for 4 months if they go bad. If you read these entries...coils are a common problem. I would love this car otherwise with 145,000 on it.

Great Car
By suzie on 04/01/09 07:45 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 12/20/99. This car has been one of the best cars I have had. I have over 200,000 miles. Took it in today thinking I would have to buy a new car and it only needs the fan replaced and transmission servicing. I have had a problem with the tires wearing out quickly and an issue with keeping tires balanced. Slight vibration in the front. A little small for my husband but perfect for me. Passenger seat could have more seat adjustment capability