Used 2000 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 199 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

One of my favorite cars
By R. Friedman

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased it used in 2005 for a decent price with relatively low mileage and all the bells and whistles. I drove it for 10 years with very little mechanical issues, including no issues with the coils that others have written about. I kept up the normal maintenance, used premium gasoline, and made sure to get regular oil changes. I really loved this car, I loved driving it, and was not looking forward to letting it go, but by 10/27/15 I was starting to think of getting a new vehicle as I was getting older and getting in and out of the car was getting more difficult, and putting 42 pound bags of cat litter in and out of the trunk was also becoming taxing. However, some moron in a Dodge Ram Truck took the name of his vehicle too literally, and t-boned my Maxi, totalling her out. Sad end to a very reliable and fun car that I was looking forward to passing on to someone who needed a car.

Fun car, but unreliable
By vegas71

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I loved and hated my maxima. Lots of power, roomy and comfortable, but tons of problems. Fuel gauge was off, ignition coils went bad, and it randomly died on me on the freeway- where people were doing 80 and I had no place to pull over. This was during the three day period I owned it. Car met its demise when I was taking a drive one night and there was a cow... in the middle of the road. Apparently somebody in Nevada thought it was a good idea to create "open range".
The brakes on the car were bad and I didn't see it in time. Car was no longer drivable, but I walked away. Reliable? No. Safe in an accident? Very.

Well-Produced but Check engine problems(light only)
By superflykhaeyo

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

+PROS:Looks GREAT inside/out, FUN TO DRIVE,
and i get on the highway and never have to slow down, i floor it and im already caught up to traffic. The FOLD-IN side-mirrors help avoid hit-and-run parking lot drivers.

-CONS:The suspension is so/so, the ride is just as harsh as a school bus as far as suspension, and its hard to block the sunlight sometimes, My check Engine light would NOT go off no matter how well the car was running, even after i replace the parts the obd reader told me to because The COIL PACKS&O2sens must be original manufactured, meaning mainly dealer parts but some websites have them at wholesale prices from the factory. OTHERWISE the light wont go off even with no faults

Fold in mirrors, powerful engine, great acceleration, and interior design.

Bumpy ride, Check Engine light never goes off and very difficult to pay for by dealer and light wouldnt go off and the computer said "NO FAULTS DETECTED)

Brilliant
By dreamshot

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

After driving around my parents cars during my four initial driving years, I felt it was time for my own. After some extensive research, I decided on the Maxima. This car has been nothing but reliable and really fun. It has ample passing power and still turns heads at 11 years old. Can't get enough of it and would recommend it to anyone. Also --- At 6'2'' I do just barely fit....

CD player and cassette double, auto-headlight function, horsepower, acceleration

Ride is slightly stiff IMO, but not too bad.

10 years of fun and reliability
By Maxxed-In

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I put 75k miles on my Max in the first 3 years, no probs other than ignition coils. 28k miles in the next SIX years, only prob has been an O2 sensor (front $$$). This Max has simply been EXTREMELY reliable and FUN (I won't say how fun). This was the last Max made in Japan, I can't speak for US made models.

Smooth power. Quiet interior (relatively). Handling great for a "Family Sedan". 26 mpg long-haul. RELIABLE. Interior has held-up (leather is good). Body sound, nothing has fallen off the car.

All 6 ignition coils failed 50-55k miles, a Nissan-known issue. Original Bridgestones scrubbed-off in 28k miles. Hood paint chips easily (might not at 55 mph).