2000 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Fun car, but unreliable
By vegas71 on 11/24/13 02:37 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I loved and hated my maxima. Lots of power, roomy and comfortable, but tons of problems. Fuel gauge was off, ignition coils went bad, and it randomly died on me on the freeway- where people were doing 80 and I had no place to pull over. This was during the three day period I owned it. Car met its demise when I was taking a drive one night and there was a cow... in the middle of the road. Apparently somebody in Nevada thought it was a good idea to create "open range". The brakes on the car were bad and I didn't see it in time. Car was no longer drivable, but I walked away. Reliable? No. Safe in an accident? Very.

Well-Produced but Check engine problems(light only)
By superflykhaeyo on 10/01/12 16:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

+PROS:Looks GREAT inside/out, FUN TO DRIVE, and i get on the highway and never have to slow down, i floor it and im already caught up to traffic. The FOLD-IN side-mirrors help avoid hit-and-run parking lot drivers. -CONS:The suspension is so/so, the ride is just as harsh as a school bus as far as suspension, and its hard to block the sunlight sometimes, My check Engine light would NOT go off no matter how well the car was running, even after i replace the parts the obd reader told me to because The COIL PACKS&O2sens must be original manufactured, meaning mainly dealer parts but some websites have them at wholesale prices from the factory. OTHERWISE the light wont go off even with no faults

Brilliant
By dreamshot on 07/24/11 20:49 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

After driving around my parents cars during my four initial driving years, I felt it was time for my own. After some extensive research, I decided on the Maxima. This car has been nothing but reliable and really fun. It has ample passing power and still turns heads at 11 years old. Can't get enough of it and would recommend it to anyone. Also --- At 6'2'' I do just barely fit....

10 years of fun and reliability
By Maxxed-In on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I put 75k miles on my Max in the first 3 years, no probs other than ignition coils. 28k miles in the next SIX years, only prob has been an O2 sensor (front $$$). This Max has simply been EXTREMELY reliable and FUN (I won't say how fun). This was the last Max made in Japan, I can't speak for US made models.

Best Car I have Owned
By PSH on 09/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Only one coil pack, an O2 sensor, muffler and a starter is all I have ever replaced in 10 years. It's been a great car. I have to get rid of it because I am driving 100+ per day and need ultimate reliability. I have the 5- speed and get 30.25 MPG doing 65 MPH highway driving. Small rust spot on right-side of truck and driver-side wheel well. Brakes lasted me 75K miles and I'm still on the original rotors.

Good Performance but
By joenoles1 on 08/30/10 10:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

powerful engine and very comfortable ride. There are some common problems with this vehicle namely, brakes due to crappy rotors, ignition coils, MAF and suspension issues. I have over 150k miles and it has been an excellent vehicle.

A wonderful friend
By Wendy on 08/27/10 10:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001 because (1) the old Sentra died and (2)the test drive of Honda Accord and Toyota Camry at that time were not too good. This car has been so reliable, comfort, and it moves as expected. When stop at up- hill, it does not slid down even tiny bit. When speed up, it picks up right within half second. I have more children now and need a van to carry them but I can't find another good car to replace this dear one!

A nice looking lemon
By Anthony on 08/14/10 21:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a year ago because I heard Nissan are good cars sense then I had to replace spark plugs and compact because of vibration, alternator, now radiator is not keeping any water in it, it stalls out when I'm at a traffic light. I now have a bad taste in mouth concerning this car and on tire time at a $150.00 a piece

Zippy and agile
By California_Poppy on 08/09/10 13:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I drove a manual 1991 Maxima that got totaled after 219,000 miles, so I bought the manual 2000 right after. It's zippy, agile, smooth, and quiet. My commute is an hour a day, so I'm happy to have a comfortable and reliable car. I get about 300-330 miles per tank. I bought my car in 2007 from a guy who took very good care of it. But in the past three years, I've had to replace the front wheel axle boot, the clutch hydraulic line, and the clutch itself. After ten years, the last didn't surprise me. The O2 sensor gives false readings and has had to be re-set. A friend of mine says to expect to pay about $100 in repairs for each year the car is old, and so far, that's right on target

2000 Nissan Maxima poor acceleration
By Bob Kat on 06/08/10 17:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This car wouldn't go 50 mph. Just dogged out. I changed plugs hoping for a fouled plug. no such luck. frightened to death of going to Nissan dealer after being slammed for ignition coil packs. $2000.00 I proceeded to local Autozone and asked Manager Dave of any possible symptoms. I had a bottle of typical injector cleaner. He told me to put the other back and buy Lucas fuel injector cleaner so I did. I drove down the local I 90 thruway 50 miles. This stuff had this 230 horse Maxima screaming again. I could not believe it. Everybody, before to start replacing all kinds of hopeful parts, spend $5.99. You might have the same luck. Again Lucas Fuel Injector cleanr. This stuff works. Big savings!