The working man's luxury car
By shamarcus on
1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan
I bought this car in 2000 in CA with ~42k miles. Now 107k miles. Black SE model with cloth seats and sunroof being the major options. The A/C delivered cold air in the deserts of the southwest. The heater delivers heat in minus 20 degrees cold of Alaska. I did experience one ignition coil to die on me. Since I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, I have gone through 2 sets of brakes and rotors front and back (due to size of car). Besides that, normal maintenance. I averaged 18.5 / 24 mpg city/Hwy in CA. In AK, I average 20mpg/26mpg. If I were to move back to the gulf coast, I can expect 22mpg/29mpg. Regional gas makes a difference. I plan to keep this car to over 200k miles.
Favorite Features
The smoothness and power of the engine. The VQ engine and tranny is proven in the nissan family. I have power for mountain passing on steep grades. Homelink buttons. Quietness of the interior. The biggest and most powerful affordable Japanese midsize sedan. Near luxury ride quality. Fog lights.
Suggested Improvements
A snow mode for the transmission. It's easy to spin the wheels on the ice roads of Alaksa. Full size spare. NISMO upgrade products for this generation of maxima. Overall, I have been satisfied with my maxima.