1999 Nissan Maxima Consumer Review: The working man's luxury car

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (3.0L V6 5-speed Manual)

The working man's luxury car
By shamarcus on

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 in CA with ~42k miles. Now 107k miles. Black SE model with cloth seats and sunroof being the major options. The A/C delivered cold air in the deserts of the southwest. The heater delivers heat in minus 20 degrees cold of Alaska. I did experience one ignition coil to die on me. Since I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, I have gone through 2 sets of brakes and rotors front and back (due to size of car). Besides that, normal maintenance. I averaged 18.5 / 24 mpg city/Hwy in CA. In AK, I average 20mpg/26mpg. If I were to move back to the gulf coast, I can expect 22mpg/29mpg. Regional gas makes a difference. I plan to keep this car to over 200k miles.

The smoothness and power of the engine. The VQ engine and tranny is proven in the nissan family. I have power for mountain passing on steep grades. Homelink buttons. Quietness of the interior. The biggest and most powerful affordable Japanese midsize sedan. Near luxury ride quality. Fog lights.

A snow mode for the transmission. It's easy to spin the wheels on the ice roads of Alaksa. Full size spare. NISMO upgrade products for this generation of maxima. Overall, I have been satisfied with my maxima.