After 13 years and over 143k miles, it still goes strong
By hdao on
1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan
I am a first owner of my 1999 Maxima. Regular maintenance such as engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and brake pad changes don't count. The only problems for this year model are defective ignition coils. I have changed them myself and cost $90/per coil. The redesigned coils are flawless. I also replaced a O2 sensor for $80 part only. At approximately every 80k miles, the EGR Guide Tube needs to be cleaned. It is difficult to Do-It-Yourself. Although it cost only $5 for replacing the EGR gasket as the tube must be taken out to be cleaned with choke cleaning sprayer. The dealer will charge $120 for labor.
Favorite Features
Good thing about this model is easy to trouble-shoot. When a service engine light on, you can look over the internet and learn how to read the flash code which will tell what part needs to be replaced. I have done it to fix all problems I have mentioned.
Suggested Improvements
I guess that Nissan have improved a lot with its later V6 engines. I don't hear problems with ignition coils or EGR Tube reported for later models.