Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Get one, quick!
By Miller5

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Here's a decent car. All you've read about this car is true. You get styling, performance, great gas mileage, reliability, and good resale all in one 4-door package. I've owned a V-6 Camry and I think this car is slightly better. Plenty of head room for me (6'3") even with a sunroof. Go for the SE, as you get firmer suspension, better looks and a 5-speed option. If you can find a 99 SE-L, you'll get spiffy options like a 5th lap belt, 120 extra watts of Bose (like it needed it...), and neato titanium-colored badges as well as cheesy "SE-L" emblems tacked onto various parts of the car. Keep it in good shape, sell it in a few years, and you should get most of your money out of it.

Favorite Features

Big back seats...slick looks...30 MPG (yes, I am telling the truth) on a recent highway trip...22 MPG city...a decent bit of power...quality build is obvious...this is a premium vehicle worth every penny you'll pay for it. I also like the homelink, the big trunk, and the 2 power seats.

Suggested Improvements

None. Nissan did great here.

Man I love these cars!
By Daniel Richardson

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I have always loved the Maxima. Ever since I was 16 and got my first '85. This car is great at handling, quick accleration, instant throttle response, great braking system, transmission shifts seamlessly. Plenty of leg in the back. Four doors makes it family but the rest of the car makes is sporty and a blast to drive. I love this thing and I jump out of bed so I can drive it to work and hate when I pull in at home cause I have to turn it off. I just love this thing and I don't know what more I can say.

Favorite Features

The power drivers seat... and the throttle of course!

Suggested Improvements

License plate mounting brackets. If the snap it is almost impossible to remove plate without destroying plate and busted brackets.

Japanese BMW
By PLUMMAN

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Mating the 5-speed with the V-6 engine brings this car to life. I have only hit the rev limiter once, but what fun! This car is fun on the mountain roads and loves to rev. The suspension is a little soft, but comfy. I installed aftermarket spring and shocks. I got mine used with 54k and now it is pushing 120k with no major issues. Runs best on high test gas and gets the best mileage with high test. I get 24 overall. If you can keep the speed to 60-65, doubtful, it will return over 30mpg. Best car I've ever owned. Still solid after 120k.

Favorite Features

Engine and 5 speed and handling after installing stiffer springs and shocks

Suggested Improvements

none very balanced, maybe larger cupholders

Wow! I love my Maxima
By Jon Strand

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 83K miles. After about a year and a half it now has 120K miles. This car is amazing and I love it to death. Reliability is fantastic as I have had virtually no maintenance costs w/the exception of oil changes, etc. I get a lot of compliments about how smooth the ride is. Some people dislike the styling of these Maxima's, but I love the car inside and out. It is fully loaded w/every option but traction control and everything still works perfectly and in tip top shape, despite being a 6 year old car. This is the best car buying decision I have made and it's a blast to drive. I plan to keep my Maxima until at least 200K miles, when I will likely go buy a new one.

Favorite Features

Extremely smooth engine and tranny (5- speed manual). Great ride but still has a nice sporty feel. Average 22 MPG each tank w/120K miles. Luxury features are nice. Fantastic build quality...very solid car.

Suggested Improvements

None, there is nothing wrong with this car. I would drive it cross country in a heartbeat.

Original Owner
By John

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

While the initial experience with the dealership has never been forgotten, the car has been very good to me. Good acceleration, and fun to drive. 52,000 miles and have changed tyres and oil... and nothing else (no brake pads, belts, O2 sensors, coils etc). The car does get a workout though. Owning a Nissan I keep up with www.Nissan.com, and this website tells you a lot about the company. I have not been tempted to buy a new model; my 1999 model will last me a long time I believe.

Favorite Features

Engine and stereo; most of all the reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk release and cruise control buttons in wrong locations, and console hurts my right leg (noticeable on longer trips). Think all of this was cured with the 2000 model? The auto. trans. has always seemed rough, and have always anticipated an expensive problem, but again, no problems so far.......