Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

What happened to Nissan and Quality
By Dirk

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second 4th Gen Nissan Maxima. Fun to drive in a 5 speed, a true wolf in sheep's clothing. I sold my 95 for a fully loaded 99. Since November 06, I've replaced the ignition coils ($600), alternator ($200), brake calipers ($200), a new clutch ($800), starter ($250) and NOW, gearbox/tranny work (proven factory defect) ($1000) - all in the last 6 months. The coils, tranny, and starter should at least last 10 years or the life of the vehicle. Similiar so should the alternator. This vehicle is NOT reasonably durable.

Leather. 5 Speed. Climate control. Bose stereo.

Factory components should be made with higher quality. This vehcile is worse for reliability than any domestic.

1999 Maxima GLE
By Mike

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Have had no issues with this car. Routine maintenance only. Has lots of pep, fun to drive. Has all options available on 1999 models. Moon roof. 85K miles. Very reliable.

Great Bose audio system. Leather heated seats. Automatic heat/cool, just set the temp and go.

Would like to see improved body styling. Currently a little boxy.

1999 nissan rocks
By vinnnn

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Original owner. The only 2 complaints are rear caliper froze with 18,000 miles??? IGNITION COILS will go . Mine went after 4 years 3 months. 3 months after warranty. After calling around found it to be a major problem on all 1999 maximas. Beware if you buy used .

NICE RIDE No problems *except above 2

I heart VQ30DE!!!!! (maxima motor)
By IOWAEXPLORER

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I actually sold my 2nd maxima last year, but wanted to share my experience. First and foremost, there is so much to be said about the amazing 3.0 v6 standard in every maxima. Though 190 hp does not sound like much, this car will beat v8 muscle cars! That's right! I owned both in 5 speed configurations, and have mixed reviews on the manual tranny...quality seems somewhat subpar for nissan....clutch is weak and expensive to replace. Clutch hydraulics gave me problems in both my 97 and 99. Transmission is questionable, but luckily never gave out on me. I recommend the 98 model, as the 99's nearly all have coil pack issues that are aggrivating. Maxima is a heck of a good all around car.

P-O-W-E-R! Manual transmission option makes this a unique car. Love the array of optional equipment, these can be configured better than a BMW. Styling is cutting edge and clean for the age, great body quality, BOSE stereo, moon roof, REMOTE power windows (nissan exclusive!)

99's have faulty coil packs. Luckily they are easy to replace if you have the know-how (6 new ones installed could cost up to $1000!!!) Manual tranny quality is questionable. I had starter problems on my 97, and fuel pump problems on my 99. Would I buy another? You bet, just a newer one though.

Excellent Sporty Sedan
By glemon

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

My first four door car after owning sports cars then a Nissan Sentra SE-R. Bought off E-bay with 40,000 miles and extended warranty, didn't need the warranty, now at nearly 80,000 and literally nothing has gone wrong with the car, not even a bulb out. Got it because I wanted more room, practicality than my Sentra SE-R drove a 5-speed Maxima and it felt like a SE- R with a little more room, power and torque. Plan on keeping it for a long long time, little to fault with this car

Available 5-speed with the V-6 many cars at the time in the class only would allow you to shift the 4 banger. Nice power, good fuel economy, rock solid build and reliability.

Nothing really, to get picky a slightly shorter shift lever would work better for me on reach and feel sportier. Slightly lower ride height, it looks like the wheel wells are not quite filled up