Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

1999 Maxima GLE
By Mike

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Have had no issues with this car. Routine maintenance only. Has lots of pep, fun to drive. Has all options available on 1999 models. Moon roof. 85K miles. Very reliable.

Favorite Features

Great Bose audio system. Leather heated seats. Automatic heat/cool, just set the temp and go.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see improved body styling. Currently a little boxy.

1999 nissan rocks
By vinnnn

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Original owner. The only 2 complaints are rear caliper froze with 18,000 miles??? IGNITION COILS will go . Mine went after 4 years 3 months. 3 months after warranty. After calling around found it to be a major problem on all 1999 maximas. Beware if you buy used .

Favorite Features

NICE RIDE No problems *except above 2

I heart VQ30DE!!!!! (maxima motor)
By IOWAEXPLORER

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I actually sold my 2nd maxima last year, but wanted to share my experience. First and foremost, there is so much to be said about the amazing 3.0 v6 standard in every maxima. Though 190 hp does not sound like much, this car will beat v8 muscle cars! That's right! I owned both in 5 speed configurations, and have mixed reviews on the manual tranny...quality seems somewhat subpar for nissan....clutch is weak and expensive to replace. Clutch hydraulics gave me problems in both my 97 and 99. Transmission is questionable, but luckily never gave out on me. I recommend the 98 model, as the 99's nearly all have coil pack issues that are aggrivating. Maxima is a heck of a good all around car.

Favorite Features

P-O-W-E-R! Manual transmission option makes this a unique car. Love the array of optional equipment, these can be configured better than a BMW. Styling is cutting edge and clean for the age, great body quality, BOSE stereo, moon roof, REMOTE power windows (nissan exclusive!)

Suggested Improvements

99's have faulty coil packs. Luckily they are easy to replace if you have the know-how (6 new ones installed could cost up to $1000!!!) Manual tranny quality is questionable. I had starter problems on my 97, and fuel pump problems on my 99. Would I buy another? You bet, just a newer one though.

Excellent Sporty Sedan
By glemon

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

My first four door car after owning sports cars then a Nissan Sentra SE-R. Bought off E-bay with 40,000 miles and extended warranty, didn't need the warranty, now at nearly 80,000 and literally nothing has gone wrong with the car, not even a bulb out. Got it because I wanted more room, practicality than my Sentra SE-R drove a 5-speed Maxima and it felt like a SE- R with a little more room, power and torque. Plan on keeping it for a long long time, little to fault with this car

Favorite Features

Available 5-speed with the V-6 many cars at the time in the class only would allow you to shift the 4 banger. Nice power, good fuel economy, rock solid build and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really, to get picky a slightly shorter shift lever would work better for me on reach and feel sportier. Slightly lower ride height, it looks like the wheel wells are not quite filled up

poor gas mileage in Fl
By bad fuel system

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have had nothing but fuel system issues with my two maxima's. I purchased the first one in 1995 and after 70,000 miles the engine would shut down in the middle of the road. I purchased a 1999 and after 90,000 miles I am having major fuel problems. I have to put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in every fill up just to stop the rough idling...

Favorite Features

Leather, smooth ride, classy look when all cleaned up

Suggested Improvements

fuel system, oxygen sensor..