Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Highly recommended for durability
By Danny

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted this exact year. When I first purchased used. I had done all my homework and have not been disappointed since. It is the most reliable car so far that I have owned. For a v6 it is quite responsive. Like any car it has had some minor mechanical work but if you change your oil regularly and do its scheduled upkeep it will give you years of satisfaction. I currently have 145000 kms and bought it with 88000 kms. The engine on this car is solid. it corners on rails and is a treat on the highway. The seats are comfortable. Buy it!!

Handling, engine, bose sound system, reliable!!! 5 star rims look sharp.

I love this car!
By Cat

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car since early 1999, I bought it with only 35 miles on it and I now have 125000, it's been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Climate control, side mirror defoggers, heated seats, Bose sound system.

Not so reliable.
By esteband67

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I got this vehicle three and half years ago and take very good care of it but it doesn't seem to appreciate it. In the short time I've owned it I've had a computer chip problem $500 at the dealer and engine coils had to be replaced $1100 at the dealer. Car has only 53000 miles so none of this should go wrong. I've replaced brake pads twice. Also gets out of alignment a lot. Needs bearings but I can't afford it right now after spending $1100 yesterday. I made a bad decision with a Nissan. Never again.

For a 4 door sedan drives nice and has good power and handling.

Need to be more reliable. Some wind noise on the freeway. A/C needs to be cooler.

Best car I've owned
By Liza

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 with 14000 miles on it. The guys at the dealership put 3000 miles on it before I bought it. When I saw it had a 5 speed 6 cylinder engine, I bought it right away. Now with 130000+ miles on it it still runs good as new, with no major problems to report. The only problem I have ever had was a sensor that needed to be replaced & routine maintenance. I just bought an SUV and I didn't have the heart to trade the Maxima in. Hopefully I'll get another 100000 miles out of it!

Stereo system. Power seats. Power sunroof. Temperature control. 5 speed stick, 6 cyl. engine ROCKS! A lot of fun to drive.

Have both of the back seats fold down flat for large items that don't fit in the trunk.

The working man's luxury car
By shamarcus

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 in CA with ~42k miles. Now 107k miles. Black SE model with cloth seats and sunroof being the major options. The A/C delivered cold air in the deserts of the southwest. The heater delivers heat in minus 20 degrees cold of Alaska. I did experience one ignition coil to die on me. Since I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, I have gone through 2 sets of brakes and rotors front and back (due to size of car). Besides that, normal maintenance. I averaged 18.5 / 24 mpg city/Hwy in CA. In AK, I average 20mpg/26mpg. If I were to move back to the gulf coast, I can expect 22mpg/29mpg. Regional gas makes a difference. I plan to keep this car to over 200k miles.

The smoothness and power of the engine. The VQ engine and tranny is proven in the nissan family. I have power for mountain passing on steep grades. Homelink buttons. Quietness of the interior. The biggest and most powerful affordable Japanese midsize sedan. Near luxury ride quality. Fog lights.

A snow mode for the transmission. It's easy to spin the wheels on the ice roads of Alaksa. Full size spare. NISMO upgrade products for this generation of maxima. Overall, I have been satisfied with my maxima.

• SUV