1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Get one, quick!
By Miller5 on 03/02/06 20:06 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Here's a decent car. All you've read about this car is true. You get styling, performance, great gas mileage, reliability, and good resale all in one 4-door package. I've owned a V-6 Camry and I think this car is slightly better. Plenty of head room for me (6'3") even with a sunroof. Go for the SE, as you get firmer suspension, better looks and a 5-speed option. If you can find a 99 SE-L, you'll get spiffy options like a 5th lap belt, 120 extra watts of Bose (like it needed it...), and neato titanium-colored badges as well as cheesy "SE-L" emblems tacked onto various parts of the car. Keep it in good shape, sell it in a few years, and you should get most of your money out of it.

Man I love these cars!
By Daniel Richardson on 02/27/06 07:24 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I have always loved the Maxima. Ever since I was 16 and got my first '85. This car is great at handling, quick accleration, instant throttle response, great braking system, transmission shifts seamlessly. Plenty of leg in the back. Four doors makes it family but the rest of the car makes is sporty and a blast to drive. I love this thing and I jump out of bed so I can drive it to work and hate when I pull in at home cause I have to turn it off. I just love this thing and I don't know what more I can say.

Japanese BMW
By PLUMMAN on 02/07/06 14:25 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Mating the 5-speed with the V-6 engine brings this car to life. I have only hit the rev limiter once, but what fun! This car is fun on the mountain roads and loves to rev. The suspension is a little soft, but comfy. I installed aftermarket spring and shocks. I got mine used with 54k and now it is pushing 120k with no major issues. Runs best on high test gas and gets the best mileage with high test. I get 24 overall. If you can keep the speed to 60-65, doubtful, it will return over 30mpg. Best car I've ever owned. Still solid after 120k.

Wow! I love my Maxima
By Jon Strand on 10/20/05 21:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 83K miles. After about a year and a half it now has 120K miles. This car is amazing and I love it to death. Reliability is fantastic as I have had virtually no maintenance costs w/the exception of oil changes, etc. I get a lot of compliments about how smooth the ride is. Some people dislike the styling of these Maxima's, but I love the car inside and out. It is fully loaded w/every option but traction control and everything still works perfectly and in tip top shape, despite being a 6 year old car. This is the best car buying decision I have made and it's a blast to drive. I plan to keep my Maxima until at least 200K miles, when I will likely go buy a new one.

Original Owner
By John on 09/17/05 23:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

While the initial experience with the dealership has never been forgotten, the car has been very good to me. Good acceleration, and fun to drive. 52,000 miles and have changed tyres and oil... and nothing else (no brake pads, belts, O2 sensors, coils etc). The car does get a workout though. Owning a Nissan I keep up with www.Nissan.com, and this website tells you a lot about the company. I have not been tempted to buy a new model; my 1999 model will last me a long time I believe.

'99 nissan maxima GLE
By mannyp on 09/01/05 22:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

After 6 yrs of tough desert driving this car still has it. Fun to drive, great acceleration, and not a single problem thus far. Drives like the day i drove it off the lot.

O2 sensors are a pain
By mark on 06/11/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 02 when it came off a lease. I put new BF Goodrich tractions on last year. Even at 6 years old, its fun to toss around. The standard 120 watt stereo(made by Clarion for Nissan) is nowhere near the BOSE but is OK. Dealer service was great. Glad I bought the extended warranty as I've replaced two O2 sesors and need a third already.

Great Car also very nice looking
By Wiseguy on 04/17/05 14:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two years ago, with about 85000 miles on it, and the only maintenance I did on the car was to change the oil. The car is so smooth, like it just came out of the factory. If it wasn't for the dashboard, you would think it is a new car. Accelaration so smooth, highway driving is amazing, the only down side is when you make american stops the automatick transmission stays on second gear. Other than that it is a great car.

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed Manual
By jfreilly on 04/07/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

5-speed manual. Lots of fun with the 5-speed, although friends with the automatic haven't complained too much about performance. Fair amount of body lean in corners, but with the right tires and judicious use of the gearbox you're always under control. Great ownership eperience the whole way.

A car like a bat out of hell
By Alex on 03/14/05 12:32 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Best car I have ever owned, period. This car is ultra smooth, and with the 5-speed, tons of power. The engine idles amazingly, fuel economy is great for a V6, and everything feels solid. Great handling, great engine sound with a cold-air intake. So much fun to drive, it is a joy. I always look forward to going somewhere because I know I get to drive this car. Very rewarding. Bose stereo is awesome and clear. Have not had any coil problems, but small problem if it does happen (Accords drop transmissions, Camry's interior falls apart). No car is perfect, but this is darn close. I bought for $17K with 17,000 miles, and it's completely loaded. $28K sticker. Flew 800 miles to Oklahoma!