Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Enjoy The Ride.
By Erik

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought my '99 Maxima SE Limited to replace my first car that I used through high school and one year of college (a '96 Saturn SL2 Premium). The Maxima was the short list. I purchased mine with 59,858 miles on it in July of 2006 and now currently have 72,562 miles. I've had no unscheduled maintenance and have only had one major replacement, the exhaust system. My Nissan dealership has serviced the vehicle with great care at each scheduled maintenance. The performance, styling, and build quality is impeccable. Nissan engineers have executed every detail perfectly on this vehicle. The engine is smooth, refined, and aggressive. The Maxima is Nissan's flagship for a reason.

Favorite Features

Fun-to-drive factor, comfortable/supportive perforated heated leather seats, fast heating/cooling electronic climate control, design - subtle Japanese sportiness & excellent visibility throughout, Bose audio system - perfect sound and depth, low maintenance costs, excellent gas mileage. Great car.

Suggested Improvements

None. Nissan did an outstanding job on the '95-'99 Maxima. I would highly recommend using Premium Fuel in your Maxima, as Nissan recommends. The overall engine smoothness and performance is dramatically better. I'll have this car for many years, even after I buy a new one. It's that good.

99 Maxima GXE 5 speed
By Dave

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1999. Nine years and 200000 miles later, still as fast and fun to drive as day one. Still has original clutch. Getting 22 to 24 mpg highway at 75 mph. Oil change every 5k miles. Black paint showing its age as well as some bumps and rattles. Replaced ignition packs and 3 oxygen sensors 2.5 years ago. Exaust pipe hangers rusted at 180K so put on new pipes myself. One axle shaft at 192K(boot failure) Normal maintenence, brakes, plugs I have done myself. The car not good in snow with all season radials. If you live in snow area, invest in 4 snow tires. What a difference. This is the best car I've owned.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on. Error codes can be extracted easily using on board diagnostics. The best Maxima shape and a drivers car- not alot of electronic gadgets to have problems with. I'm concerned about replacing this car as the new Maximas have too many electronic "goodies" to go wrong

Suggested Improvements

None. I've gotten 200,000 miles of fun to prove it.

Its ok
By John

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle used in 2003. with 43,000 miles on it. Its the SE model and it has every option in it. Very good V6 smooth till this day amazing! I have changed the brakes, tires, coils, spark plugs, alt., AC compressor, belts, and I'm probably gonna end up bringing it in again for coil wires or something with the xpark plugs because the car shakes bad when accelerating. But overall I love the car, I just gotta keep taking care of it.

Favorite Features

V6, sunroof, leather, Bose! Quick when it wants to be and it is still quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Well this part is pointless now after 10 years but... needs to handle better, better gas mileage. Other then that I'm frustrated just with having to keep changing everything on this car.

Perhaps a lemon?
By Steve Hart

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Overall this Maxima has been one of my favorite cars, but it hasn't been without some quirky mechanical defects that are just dumbfounding, including a fuel problem where I am only able to fill it up a third of a gallon at a time before it overflows. Several other issues have made me think twice about a future purchase, even though I've had a lot of fun with this car.

Favorite Features

The interior. It is so well laid out and driver friendly. Comfort level is very high.

Suggested Improvements

Give this car more low-end power.

Highly recommended for durability
By Danny

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted this exact year. When I first purchased used. I had done all my homework and have not been disappointed since. It is the most reliable car so far that I have owned. For a v6 it is quite responsive. Like any car it has had some minor mechanical work but if you change your oil regularly and do its scheduled upkeep it will give you years of satisfaction. I currently have 145000 kms and bought it with 88000 kms. The engine on this car is solid. it corners on rails and is a treat on the highway. The seats are comfortable. Buy it!!

Favorite Features

Handling, engine, bose sound system, reliable!!! 5 star rims look sharp.