Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

99 Maxima GLE
By kari

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 06 with 54k on it. It was perfect for two years. Now there is 90k miles on it, and all of my coils need to be replaced, along with all spark plugs. At the dealer they charged $1400.

Bose system, powerful, roomy

Larger trunk, both seats flip down in back, factory rack, rear A/C and heat, recall on 99 coil packs

1999 Nissan Maxima
By ..."Boomer"...

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Maxima. The first one was a 1992 that got T-boned by a full sized pick-up truck. I was impressed by the structural integrity and believe it saved my life. There was no hesitation on another Maxima as a replacement vehicle. The car is the right size with good interior room and comfort. The engine is deceptively quick when accelerating hard and I do think of the car as a Japanese BMW in terms of performance, comfort, and handling. I rated the fuel economy as a ten because I switched to Mobil synthetic oil and filter and highway mileage went from a true factory rated 29 miles per gallon to 31. In town mileage remains at 24 on average. Want to use synthetic transmission oil too.

The power button on the transmission for extra "oomph" when needed. Go from fast acceleration to deceptively faster in a blink of an eye.

The oxygen sensor is buried and requires the dealership to dismantle the intake manifold to replace. Nissan uses a hydraulic screw piston to work the rear brake pads. Why not just hydraulic pistons? Long life spark plugs to 100 thousand miles but cost $130 to change.

Enjoy The Ride.
By Erik

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought my '99 Maxima SE Limited to replace my first car that I used through high school and one year of college (a '96 Saturn SL2 Premium). The Maxima was the short list. I purchased mine with 59,858 miles on it in July of 2006 and now currently have 72,562 miles. I've had no unscheduled maintenance and have only had one major replacement, the exhaust system. My Nissan dealership has serviced the vehicle with great care at each scheduled maintenance. The performance, styling, and build quality is impeccable. Nissan engineers have executed every detail perfectly on this vehicle. The engine is smooth, refined, and aggressive. The Maxima is Nissan's flagship for a reason.

Fun-to-drive factor, comfortable/supportive perforated heated leather seats, fast heating/cooling electronic climate control, design - subtle Japanese sportiness & excellent visibility throughout, Bose audio system - perfect sound and depth, low maintenance costs, excellent gas mileage. Great car.

None. Nissan did an outstanding job on the '95-'99 Maxima. I would highly recommend using Premium Fuel in your Maxima, as Nissan recommends. The overall engine smoothness and performance is dramatically better. I'll have this car for many years, even after I buy a new one. It's that good.

99 Maxima GXE 5 speed
By Dave

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1999. Nine years and 200000 miles later, still as fast and fun to drive as day one. Still has original clutch. Getting 22 to 24 mpg highway at 75 mph. Oil change every 5k miles. Black paint showing its age as well as some bumps and rattles. Replaced ignition packs and 3 oxygen sensors 2.5 years ago. Exaust pipe hangers rusted at 180K so put on new pipes myself. One axle shaft at 192K(boot failure) Normal maintenence, brakes, plugs I have done myself. The car not good in snow with all season radials. If you live in snow area, invest in 4 snow tires. What a difference. This is the best car I've owned.

Easy to work on. Error codes can be extracted easily using on board diagnostics. The best Maxima shape and a drivers car- not alot of electronic gadgets to have problems with. I'm concerned about replacing this car as the new Maximas have too many electronic "goodies" to go wrong

None. I've gotten 200,000 miles of fun to prove it.

Its ok
By John

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle used in 2003. with 43,000 miles on it. Its the SE model and it has every option in it. Very good V6 smooth till this day amazing! I have changed the brakes, tires, coils, spark plugs, alt., AC compressor, belts, and I'm probably gonna end up bringing it in again for coil wires or something with the xpark plugs because the car shakes bad when accelerating. But overall I love the car, I just gotta keep taking care of it.

V6, sunroof, leather, Bose! Quick when it wants to be and it is still quiet.

Well this part is pointless now after 10 years but... needs to handle better, better gas mileage. Other then that I'm frustrated just with having to keep changing everything on this car.