Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Couldn't ask for more
By Andy

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car sight unseen using an online auction. I did a lot of research. I was pleased with it when I went to pick it up and have remained so even after three years. It originally had 68,000 miles and now has 116,000. The only problems have been: 1) one coil pack went bad, and I replaced it myself (about $45) 2) the automatic temp a/c wants to cool even when it is cool outside. You can still get heat if you run it up to 85. If the temp is cold outside, it works normally. 3) I've had to replace both c.v. joints because of boot failure. Both were after 100,000 miles, so I kind of expected that. The joints were not making any noise, but the technician suggested replacement anyway.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Good build quality, comfortable seats, Bose stereo, powerful engine, good gas mileage, maneuverability All the power and comfort options you could want without any of the unnecessary gadgets they are putting in cars today.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable ride on rough roads (it can be downright harsh) less noise in the interior on the same roads. Better quality paint, especially on the front bumper and hood. ABS brakes should have been standard. Mine does not have this option and I've gotten into trouble a couple of times without it

Fun Reliable Sedan
By serg87

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive especially since I have the 5-speed model. I've had it for almost 3 years now and it has been great. It is very reliable, it has good amount of power although more horsepower wouldn't hurt. Overall good car I did not have to do any maintenance yet all I do is change the oil every 3,000 miles and the car runs perfect. Currently has 126k but it will run for much longer.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, seat heaters, smooth engine, reliability

Suggested Improvements

More power other than that car is perfect

Extremely reliable car at 169K miles
By Kathy

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima GLE used in '02 with 35K miles, and it was the best used car decision I ever made. It is now at 169K miles and still going strong. It has never needed a major repair.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Road noise can be a problem in this car.

99 Maxima GLE
By kari

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 06 with 54k on it. It was perfect for two years. Now there is 90k miles on it, and all of my coils need to be replaced, along with all spark plugs. At the dealer they charged $1400.

Favorite Features

Bose system, powerful, roomy

Suggested Improvements

Larger trunk, both seats flip down in back, factory rack, rear A/C and heat, recall on 99 coil packs

1999 Nissan Maxima
By ..."Boomer"...

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Maxima. The first one was a 1992 that got T-boned by a full sized pick-up truck. I was impressed by the structural integrity and believe it saved my life. There was no hesitation on another Maxima as a replacement vehicle. The car is the right size with good interior room and comfort. The engine is deceptively quick when accelerating hard and I do think of the car as a Japanese BMW in terms of performance, comfort, and handling. I rated the fuel economy as a ten because I switched to Mobil synthetic oil and filter and highway mileage went from a true factory rated 29 miles per gallon to 31. In town mileage remains at 24 on average. Want to use synthetic transmission oil too.

Favorite Features

The power button on the transmission for extra "oomph" when needed. Go from fast acceleration to deceptively faster in a blink of an eye.

Suggested Improvements

The oxygen sensor is buried and requires the dealership to dismantle the intake manifold to replace. Nissan uses a hydraulic screw piston to work the rear brake pads. Why not just hydraulic pistons? Long life spark plugs to 100 thousand miles but cost $130 to change.