1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
1999 Maxima GLE
By Mike on 03/21/07 06:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Have had no issues with this car. Routine maintenance only. Has lots of pep, fun to drive. Has all options available on 1999 models. Moon roof. 85K miles. Very reliable.

1999 nissan rocks
By vinnnn on 03/17/07 11:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Original owner. The only 2 complaints are rear caliper froze with 18,000 miles??? IGNITION COILS will go . Mine went after 4 years 3 months. 3 months after warranty. After calling around found it to be a major problem on all 1999 maximas. Beware if you buy used .

I heart VQ30DE!!!!! (maxima motor)
By IOWAEXPLORER on 10/30/06 20:11 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I actually sold my 2nd maxima last year, but wanted to share my experience. First and foremost, there is so much to be said about the amazing 3.0 v6 standard in every maxima. Though 190 hp does not sound like much, this car will beat v8 muscle cars! That's right! I owned both in 5 speed configurations, and have mixed reviews on the manual tranny...quality seems somewhat subpar for nissan....clutch is weak and expensive to replace. Clutch hydraulics gave me problems in both my 97 and 99. Transmission is questionable, but luckily never gave out on me. I recommend the 98 model, as the 99's nearly all have coil pack issues that are aggrivating. Maxima is a heck of a good all around car.

Excellent Sporty Sedan
By glemon on 10/22/06 22:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

My first four door car after owning sports cars then a Nissan Sentra SE-R. Bought off E-bay with 40,000 miles and extended warranty, didn't need the warranty, now at nearly 80,000 and literally nothing has gone wrong with the car, not even a bulb out. Got it because I wanted more room, practicality than my Sentra SE-R drove a 5-speed Maxima and it felt like a SE- R with a little more room, power and torque. Plan on keeping it for a long long time, little to fault with this car

poor gas mileage in Fl
By bad fuel system on 10/04/06 19:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have had nothing but fuel system issues with my two maxima's. I purchased the first one in 1995 and after 70,000 miles the engine would shut down in the middle of the road. I purchased a 1999 and after 90,000 miles I am having major fuel problems. I have to put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in every fill up just to stop the rough idling...

Great car
By vinnnn on 06/26/06 15:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

very happy with it. 2 problems that nissan knows about but will not fix is the ignition coils and the rear calipers stick....

excellent except for ignition coils
By Bill Barber on 06/21/06 19:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

excellent car, very reliable and fun to drive, 5 speed, except for 2 very annoying issues, the ignition coils that Nissan is aware of and won't fix and brake calipers

First great purchase - Nissan Maxima
By JR on 05/16/06 07:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Maxima in 1999 with only 6 miles. The acceleration, fuel economy, and aestetic appearance exceeded my expectations the day I purchased it and now, I am even more pleased with my purchase because I have only had to performed routine maintenance (oil change, new tires, belts, etc.). It still performs very well! I think the Maxima's are priced well for their reliability, appearance, and last, but most important fuel economy.

Great Car !
By EJML on 05/08/06 09:04 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Best car I have ever owned. No major problems just routine maintenance. Original owner and plan to keep this one a lot longer. Car seems to be an extention of the driver and the engine responds the same way it did seven years ago. Still no rattles and original rear brakes. Car is solid and fun to drive with everything in the right place. Was planing to pass it down to my teenager, but I think I will keep this one for myself. I have driven newer Maximas and they have become softer with more creature comforts. This car is truly a working class four door sports car.

This was a god choosen car 4 me!!!
By MarvinS. on 03/15/06 10:11 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I looked all over for the perfect car around $10,000 and this was god's answer to my prayers. This car has room, power, looks, and class. Every chance i get i want to drive it but on the other hand, i don't want to put a ton a miles on it. This was the only car that had an awesome rating (along with the subaru sti). So my advice to anyone looking, find on that has be taken go care of and enjoy it until the wheel s fall off!!! Remember i prayed for the perfect this car!!!!!!