Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

1999 Nissian Maxima GLE
By mac3326

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Excellent 4 dr Car, would buy again (now with 120 k -Extremly reliable (no break downs) -I replace battery every 3 years regardless ( no extra stress on vehicle and dont have to worry that battery will wear out prematurely or stress out alternator) -has timing chain, no worrys for water pump -Just changed out struts, they were good but I had to buy tires, evanly worn, (HydroEdge 90,000 mile tire again) -Changed pads at same time (cer. so the breaks wont squeak -changed speakers fininaly wore out -EXCELLENT CAR, EXCELLENT CAR!!!!

Favorite Features

Relability, comfort, Nice looking car, nice features, auto trunk, auto windows, beautiful car! Very nice mags

Suggested Improvements

Keep building one like this and consumers will buy them, Extremely reliable vehicle, Nissian changed the new cars to a drive belt instead the drive chain, more routine maintenace on the new ones, not needed on the older ones, you will save allot of money driving one with Timing chain =Add Stero with Ipod access for glove box =Add auto start =Add auto passanger seat controls =The new Maxima doors are much lighter and tingy, allot lighter but allot cheaper feel! My concern is safety if you get in an accident =The motor is excellent, tran is excellent, Great CAR!!!!!

Rock solid car
By CTmaxima

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Bought 1 yr old with 40k, 10 yrs later with 210k all I have had to do was replace rubber, pads, the occasional caliper, and the starter. Switches and gauges all still functioning normally,but intermittently lose console lighting for AC/Radio and the antenna motor died. Fun to drive with plenty of power, I only wish I had gotten the manual transmission.

Favorite Features

Rock solid motor

Suggested Improvements

ride still a bit compliant for a "sport" model...tighten and stiffened ride woulda been better.

Great Buy
By CT

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima GXE used in '03 with 29K miles, and it was the best used car decision I ever made. It is now at 152K miles and still going strong. It has never needed a major repair. I change the oil myself every 3K miles with Pennzoil 5w-30. Repairs includes: CV boot replacements X 2, two O2 sensors, Brakes Pads front & back X 2. I replaced the radio with Sony deck with CD and Ipod wiring located in glove box, installed remote staring and door open unlock system, new speakers front and rear, Chrome wheels and had front bumper, hood and front quarter panels repainted.

Favorite Features

sunroof and smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Rear sheet metal and light styling. a moot point now.

It has been through it all
By dt22191

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Okay so I purchased this car when I got a job as a client manager. This required me to drive the vehicle roughly 200-300 miles per day. That lasted for one year. I was expecting with a vehicle this old, to have to put some money back into it in the form of repairs...but with just over 200k miles (25,000 of which is mine) the only problem I have had to repair was a broken starter. It has an oil leak but nothing that is not impossible to live with. I love this car and it has been incredibly reliable.

Favorite Features

Good solid engine that has no problems with it.

Suggested Improvements

Honestly I dislike the climate control. There is no way to just let the cool air from outside flow in it's either got the A/C on or the Heat on...it's kind of annoying.

Best car I have owned
By Vito P

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

After being told by GM that my Firebird with 75000 miles had lived "its useful life" I finally gave up and bought a Nissan...best decision ever... I now have 140000 original owner miles with NEVER a major problem...just brakes, coils...little things...the car is EXCEPTIONALLY RELIABLE and starts every time with NO hesitation...they built this one to last...hoping to make it to 200K. Buy with confidence.

Favorite Features

Reliable,reliable,reliable SMOOTH ENGINE Excellent Bose stereo

Suggested Improvements

The old front wheel drive cars have torque steer and so does this one but its not bad