1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Best car I have owned
By Vito P on 07/01/09 22:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

After being told by GM that my Firebird with 75000 miles had lived "its useful life" I finally gave up and bought a Nissan...best decision ever... I now have 140000 original owner miles with NEVER a major problem...just brakes, coils...little things...the car is EXCEPTIONALLY RELIABLE and starts every time with NO hesitation...they built this one to last...hoping to make it to 200K. Buy with confidence.

ReliableEngine/Trans,thats where it ends
By dave on 05/14/09 21:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car w/118000 on the clock w/out concern about reliability. In the past 3 1/2yrs, the engine and trans. have lived up to expectations (161500). However, I've had to replace the alternator, 2 oxygen sensors, knock sensor, starter,tie rod, oil pressure switch, belt tensioner, two axles. I know w/this kind of mileage there is an expectation to replace parts, but this seems excessive. Now I'm looking at having to replace the front struts and rear bushings. What prevents me from putting this car out to pasture is the engine/trans, quality/look and user friendly interior as well as the leather seats, moon roof and the Bose sound system.

Simply Remarkable
By Ryan G on 04/03/09 11:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I was looking for a Honda but the resell value was too high so I purchased the Maxima and I have not regretted it since. With nearly 150,000 miles the engine still sounds new and it performs incredibly well. Incidental maintenance becomes an issue as the car gets older i.e. alternator, cylinder, plugs, but major failures seem near impossible. If you have a choice this is the best pre-owned car value on the road!

A good, safe, fun family sedan
By Nij on 03/16/09 13:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Purchased mine when it had 45,000 miles. Have driven it 15,000 miles in less than 10 months and i love the car! Feels steady on the road. Has good power and acceleration. Heated seats are a comfort in the winter. I've taken this for many long trips and so far this has been my favorite car. I've owned Honda and Mitsubishi earlier and nothing beats the Nissan Maxima! Overall, a great car for a decent price.

Top Notch Car
By Alberta on 02/17/09 13:31 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 with 150,000K and I now have 190,000 with virtually no problems. Replaced the struts and the starter but other than those repairs the car has been fantastic.

Couldn't ask for more
By Andy on 12/30/08 09:09 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car sight unseen using an online auction. I did a lot of research. I was pleased with it when I went to pick it up and have remained so even after three years. It originally had 68,000 miles and now has 116,000. The only problems have been: 1) one coil pack went bad, and I replaced it myself (about $45) 2) the automatic temp a/c wants to cool even when it is cool outside. You can still get heat if you run it up to 85. If the temp is cold outside, it works normally. 3) I've had to replace both c.v. joints because of boot failure. Both were after 100,000 miles, so I kind of expected that. The joints were not making any noise, but the technician suggested replacement anyway.

Fun Reliable Sedan
By serg87 on 12/24/08 14:44 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive especially since I have the 5-speed model. I've had it for almost 3 years now and it has been great. It is very reliable, it has good amount of power although more horsepower wouldn't hurt. Overall good car I did not have to do any maintenance yet all I do is change the oil every 3,000 miles and the car runs perfect. Currently has 126k but it will run for much longer.

Extremely reliable car at 169K miles
By Kathy on 07/06/08 09:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima GLE used in '02 with 35K miles, and it was the best used car decision I ever made. It is now at 169K miles and still going strong. It has never needed a major repair.

99 Maxima GLE
By kari on 05/23/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 06 with 54k on it. It was perfect for two years. Now there is 90k miles on it, and all of my coils need to be replaced, along with all spark plugs. At the dealer they charged $1400.

1999 Nissan Maxima
By ..."Boomer"... on 04/06/08 08:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Maxima. The first one was a 1992 that got T-boned by a full sized pick-up truck. I was impressed by the structural integrity and believe it saved my life. There was no hesitation on another Maxima as a replacement vehicle. The car is the right size with good interior room and comfort. The engine is deceptively quick when accelerating hard and I do think of the car as a Japanese BMW in terms of performance, comfort, and handling. I rated the fuel economy as a ten because I switched to Mobil synthetic oil and filter and highway mileage went from a true factory rated 29 miles per gallon to 31. In town mileage remains at 24 on average. Want to use synthetic transmission oil too.