1999 Nissan Maxima
By ..."Boomer"... on
1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan
This is my second Maxima. The first one was a 1992 that got T-boned by a full sized pick-up truck. I was impressed by the structural integrity and believe it saved my life. There was no hesitation on another Maxima as a replacement vehicle. The car is the right size with good interior room and comfort. The engine is deceptively quick when accelerating hard and I do think of the car as a Japanese BMW in terms of performance, comfort, and handling. I rated the fuel economy as a ten because I switched to Mobil synthetic oil and filter and highway mileage went from a true factory rated 29 miles per gallon to 31. In town mileage remains at 24 on average. Want to use synthetic transmission oil too.
Favorite Features
The power button on the transmission for extra "oomph" when needed. Go from fast acceleration to deceptively faster in a blink of an eye.
Suggested Improvements
The oxygen sensor is buried and requires the dealership to dismantle the intake manifold to replace. Nissan uses a hydraulic screw piston to work the rear brake pads. Why not just hydraulic pistons? Long life spark plugs to 100 thousand miles but cost $130 to change.