Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Most Helpful|
1999 Maxima GLE
By Mike

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Have had no issues with this car. Routine maintenance only. Has lots of pep, fun to drive. Has all options available on 1999 models. Moon roof. 85K miles. Very reliable.

Favorite Features

Great Bose audio system. Leather heated seats. Automatic heat/cool, just set the temp and go.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see improved body styling. Currently a little boxy.

Top Notch Car
By Alberta

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 with 150,000K and I now have 190,000 with virtually no problems. Replaced the struts and the starter but other than those repairs the car has been fantastic.

Favorite Features

Fantastic engine. Smooth power.

Suggested Improvements

Not much to comment on here. The car is very well designed and built.

After 13 years and over 143k miles, it still goes strong
By hdao

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I am a first owner of my 1999 Maxima. Regular maintenance such as engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and brake pad changes don't count. The only problems for this year model are defective ignition coils. I have changed them myself and cost $90/per coil. The redesigned coils are flawless. I also replaced a O2 sensor for $80 part only. At approximately every 80k miles, the EGR Guide Tube needs to be cleaned. It is difficult to Do-It-Yourself. Although it cost only $5 for replacing the EGR gasket as the tube must be taken out to be cleaned with choke cleaning sprayer. The dealer will charge $120 for labor.

Favorite Features

Good thing about this model is easy to trouble-shoot. When a service engine light on, you can look over the internet and learn how to read the flash code which will tell what part needs to be replaced. I have done it to fix all problems I have mentioned.

Suggested Improvements

I guess that Nissan have improved a lot with its later V6 engines. I don't hear problems with ignition coils or EGR Tube reported for later models.

1999 Nissian Maxima GLE
By mac3326

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Excellent 4 dr Car, would buy again (now with 120 k -Extremly reliable (no break downs) -I replace battery every 3 years regardless ( no extra stress on vehicle and dont have to worry that battery will wear out prematurely or stress out alternator) -has timing chain, no worrys for water pump -Just changed out struts, they were good but I had to buy tires, evanly worn, (HydroEdge 90,000 mile tire again) -Changed pads at same time (cer. so the breaks wont squeak -changed speakers fininaly wore out -EXCELLENT CAR, EXCELLENT CAR!!!!

Favorite Features

Relability, comfort, Nice looking car, nice features, auto trunk, auto windows, beautiful car! Very nice mags

Suggested Improvements

Keep building one like this and consumers will buy them, Extremely reliable vehicle, Nissian changed the new cars to a drive belt instead the drive chain, more routine maintenace on the new ones, not needed on the older ones, you will save allot of money driving one with Timing chain =Add Stero with Ipod access for glove box =Add auto start =Add auto passanger seat controls =The new Maxima doors are much lighter and tingy, allot lighter but allot cheaper feel! My concern is safety if you get in an accident =The motor is excellent, tran is excellent, Great CAR!!!!!

Sweet Car!
By dom52

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

The car i got my license in, well where to begin. It's been and still is a reliable, fun car to drive. Oil changes are super easy to do, all you have to do is turn the wheel all the way to the right and you have access to the plug and filter without lifting the car. The car is at about 275,000 miles and counting, and show no signs of failing anytime soon. The only thing that went bad on this car was the alternator(not a big deal). Other than that I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

It is a simple car, electronically speaking.