Used 1999 Nissan Maxima GXE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Sweet Car!
By dom52

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

The car i got my license in, well where to begin. It's been and still is a reliable, fun car to drive. Oil changes are super easy to do, all you have to do is turn the wheel all the way to the right and you have access to the plug and filter without lifting the car. The car is at about 275,000 miles and counting, and show no signs of failing anytime soon. The only thing that went bad on this car was the alternator(not a big deal). Other than that I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

It is a simple car, electronically speaking.

After 13 years and over 143k miles, it still goes strong
By hdao

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I am a first owner of my 1999 Maxima. Regular maintenance such as engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and brake pad changes don't count. The only problems for this year model are defective ignition coils. I have changed them myself and cost $90/per coil. The redesigned coils are flawless. I also replaced a O2 sensor for $80 part only. At approximately every 80k miles, the EGR Guide Tube needs to be cleaned. It is difficult to Do-It-Yourself. Although it cost only $5 for replacing the EGR gasket as the tube must be taken out to be cleaned with choke cleaning sprayer. The dealer will charge $120 for labor.

Favorite Features

Good thing about this model is easy to trouble-shoot. When a service engine light on, you can look over the internet and learn how to read the flash code which will tell what part needs to be replaced. I have done it to fix all problems I have mentioned.

Suggested Improvements

I guess that Nissan have improved a lot with its later V6 engines. I don't hear problems with ignition coils or EGR Tube reported for later models.

Best Car ever owned
By gazzoo

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This will be the last day driving the best car I have ever owned. The Maxima (Mimo for nickname) has flawlessly given everything I ever asked from it. The engine and torque are in perfect balance in every gear. Need to get up to 60 mph in third in order to get on the highway. Just slightly depress pedal half way and feel the hand of God push you back into your seat. This car was/is a thoroughbred race horse. It never hiccuped while making a 800 mile road trip while on cruise control or any trip for that matter. I managed to get 170K on the original clutch! And now after 197765 miles it still gets about 28mpg on the highway. It is time to trade in and get a car for the whole family. Thnx Mimo

Favorite Features

Speed, handling, strength of engine. Clutch!! room for 5 comfortably. Totally reliable and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

none, it is an old car

Great Buy
By CT

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima GXE used in '03 with 29K miles, and it was the best used car decision I ever made. It is now at 152K miles and still going strong. It has never needed a major repair. I change the oil myself every 3K miles with Pennzoil 5w-30. Repairs includes: CV boot replacements X 2, two O2 sensors, Brakes Pads front & back X 2. I replaced the radio with Sony deck with CD and Ipod wiring located in glove box, installed remote staring and door open unlock system, new speakers front and rear, Chrome wheels and had front bumper, hood and front quarter panels repainted.

Favorite Features

sunroof and smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Rear sheet metal and light styling. a moot point now.

99 Maxima GXE 5 speed
By Dave

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1999. Nine years and 200000 miles later, still as fast and fun to drive as day one. Still has original clutch. Getting 22 to 24 mpg highway at 75 mph. Oil change every 5k miles. Black paint showing its age as well as some bumps and rattles. Replaced ignition packs and 3 oxygen sensors 2.5 years ago. Exaust pipe hangers rusted at 180K so put on new pipes myself. One axle shaft at 192K(boot failure) Normal maintenence, brakes, plugs I have done myself. The car not good in snow with all season radials. If you live in snow area, invest in 4 snow tires. What a difference. This is the best car I've owned.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on. Error codes can be extracted easily using on board diagnostics. The best Maxima shape and a drivers car- not alot of electronic gadgets to have problems with. I'm concerned about replacing this car as the new Maximas have too many electronic "goodies" to go wrong

Suggested Improvements

None. I've gotten 200,000 miles of fun to prove it.