Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Sweet Car!
By dom52

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

The car i got my license in, well where to begin. It's been and still is a reliable, fun car to drive. Oil changes are super easy to do, all you have to do is turn the wheel all the way to the right and you have access to the plug and filter without lifting the car. The car is at about 275,000 miles and counting, and show no signs of failing anytime soon. The only thing that went bad on this car was the alternator(not a big deal). Other than that I highly recommend this car.

It is a simple car, electronically speaking.

Maximum Driving Fun, Minimum Reliability
By davidcohen1969

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought My Max in 2005 w/118K (now 214K). I have averaged about 1000-1500K a year in repairs. The exceptional VQ V6 and transmission combo in these older model maximas is even better then the 2004 Avalon legendary V6 I recently purchased to replace it. Problem is everything around it is falling apart. I'd fix one probem and two more show up. I'd fix two problems and four more show up. You get the idea. Whats more, I got tired of having to feed it premium gas-tried regular, but the knocking sounded like someone was trying to break in to my house. Despite my gripes, I still own her. I'm hooked on the powertrain. I'll keep it through winter and then it's good bye.

3.0 VQ V6 and transmission (what sweet music they make). The longevity of the power equitment (windows, door locks etc.). How at 214K, the AC works exceptionally well. User friendly controls.

Longevity in the suspension components, oxygen sensors, starters. 75% of my repairs over my 8 years of ownership had to do with having to replace a myriad of suspension components. Poor quality.

After 13 years and over 143k miles, it still goes strong
By hdao

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I am a first owner of my 1999 Maxima. Regular maintenance such as engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and brake pad changes don't count. The only problems for this year model are defective ignition coils. I have changed them myself and cost $90/per coil. The redesigned coils are flawless. I also replaced a O2 sensor for $80 part only. At approximately every 80k miles, the EGR Guide Tube needs to be cleaned. It is difficult to Do-It-Yourself. Although it cost only $5 for replacing the EGR gasket as the tube must be taken out to be cleaned with choke cleaning sprayer. The dealer will charge $120 for labor.

Good thing about this model is easy to trouble-shoot. When a service engine light on, you can look over the internet and learn how to read the flash code which will tell what part needs to be replaced. I have done it to fix all problems I have mentioned.

I guess that Nissan have improved a lot with its later V6 engines. I don't hear problems with ignition coils or EGR Tube reported for later models.

245,000 And Runs / Drives Like New! Amazing Car!
By rh287

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Nissan Maxima SE runs like BRAND NEW with 245,000+ miles. Yes, the factory ignition coils are a problem, but you can get some after markets on eBay for $114.00. Installation is very simple. You are also replacing your plug wires as well when you do this. Go ahead and replace the upstream OS sensor at the same time. You can get a new one for $23.00 on eBay. If your check engine is on, go to Autozone and have them turn it off after you do this. Many "experts" agree, the 1999 Nissan Maxima has the best drivetrain ever built with the exception of the toyota pickup 22R and 22RE. Its crazy but at 245,000 miles my Nissan Maxima has NO blowby at all. AMAZING car and fun car to drive.

Reliabilty

Replace ignition cois and upsream OS sensors. Buy on eBay.

Great car up until
By ballbreaker910

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 99 Maxima in 2010 with 104000 Miles. I was sure this car would be reliable which it was up until I hit a severe bump in the Bronx, NY. The car was never the same since. The exhaust ended up falling off. I repaired that. The axel needed to be replaced. Done. The starter failed. Repaired that. Bushing, ball joints and breaks went. Repaired. Trunk wouldn’t open. Solved that issue. So my mechanic really believed in this car. Then lastly I went out to start the car one day and the car began to sputter. Felt awful. Turned out to be the coil pack. For anyone who knows anything about coil packs… When one fails… The remaining coil packs may be soon to follow. So I spent the $275 to fix

Potent V6 motor, Bose stereo system, Shiny paint trim after 11 years