Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Nissan's Best in a reliable family sport sedan
By Andy Miller

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Accelerates like a scalded cat, corners like it's on rails, stops on a dime with good tires, even 18 years later. Reliability - it's 18 years old and I've spent about $3000 on repairs other than basic wear and tear. Sunroof has never leaked, still silent as it opens and works well. Bose stereo has never had a problem other than the tape deck died about 2 years ago, but I don't have many tapes anyway.

my first purchased car !
By STEVE GONZALEZ

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 99 Nissan maxima when I was 21 the car looks great ran great as others I have had coil problems but after fixing them It was good. used only synthetic oil ! only used 76 gas . 87 unleaded of course. I have changed the oil seals myself. the car still runs great. reseale value totally blows I rather keep it. the purchase value was outrageous. I don't know what I was thinking.. if you drive it fast you burn the gas as fast. being it is a v6 ! I love my maxima I also have a 2007 Honda accord. cant compare them.. the maxima has great speed and the better engine. I think. the accord handles a lot better great on gas. but I will always love my maxima ! being that I am from California and the roads out here are bumpy I love my v6 to out run the smaller 4 sissy cylinder cars out here.

Sweet Car!
By dom52

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

The car i got my license in, well where to begin. It's been and still is a reliable, fun car to drive. Oil changes are super easy to do, all you have to do is turn the wheel all the way to the right and you have access to the plug and filter without lifting the car. The car is at about 275,000 miles and counting, and show no signs of failing anytime soon. The only thing that went bad on this car was the alternator(not a big deal). Other than that I highly recommend this car.

It is a simple car, electronically speaking.

Maximum Driving Fun, Minimum Reliability
By davidcohen1969

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought My Max in 2005 w/118K (now 214K). I have averaged about 1000-1500K a year in repairs. The exceptional VQ V6 and transmission combo in these older model maximas is even better then the 2004 Avalon legendary V6 I recently purchased to replace it.
Problem is everything around it is falling apart.
I'd fix one probem and two more show up. I'd fix two problems and four more show up. You get the idea.
Whats more, I got tired of having to feed it premium gas-tried regular, but the knocking sounded like someone was trying to break in to my house.
Despite my gripes, I still own her. I'm hooked on the powertrain.
I'll keep it through winter and then it's good bye.

3.0 VQ V6 and transmission (what sweet music they make). The longevity of the power equitment (windows, door locks etc.). How at 214K, the AC works exceptionally well. User friendly controls.

Longevity in the suspension components, oxygen sensors, starters. 75% of my repairs over my 8 years of ownership had to do with having to replace a myriad of suspension components. Poor quality.

After 13 years and over 143k miles, it still goes strong
By hdao

1999 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I am a first owner of my 1999 Maxima. Regular maintenance such as engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and brake pad changes don't count.
The only problems for this year model are defective ignition coils.
I have changed them myself and cost $90/per coil.
The redesigned coils are flawless.
I also replaced a O2 sensor for $80 part only.
At approximately every 80k miles, the EGR Guide Tube needs to be cleaned.
It is difficult to Do-It-Yourself.
Although it cost only $5 for replacing the EGR gasket as the tube must be taken out to be cleaned with choke cleaning sprayer.
The dealer will charge $120 for labor.

Good thing about this model is easy to trouble-shoot. When a service engine light on, you can look over the internet and learn how to read the flash code which will tell what part needs to be replaced. I have done it to fix all problems I have mentioned.

I guess that Nissan have improved a lot with its later V6 engines. I don't hear problems with ignition coils or EGR Tube reported for later models.