1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Top Notch Car
By Alberta on 02/17/09 13:31 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 with 150,000K and I now have 190,000 with virtually no problems. Replaced the struts and the starter but other than those repairs the car has been fantastic.

Highly recommended for durability
By Danny on 09/13/07 09:13 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted this exact year. When I first purchased used. I had done all my homework and have not been disappointed since. It is the most reliable car so far that I have owned. For a v6 it is quite responsive. Like any car it has had some minor mechanical work but if you change your oil regularly and do its scheduled upkeep it will give you years of satisfaction. I currently have 145000 kms and bought it with 88000 kms. The engine on this car is solid. it corners on rails and is a treat on the highway. The seats are comfortable. Buy it!!

The working man's luxury car
By shamarcus on 07/06/07 08:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 in CA with ~42k miles. Now 107k miles. Black SE model with cloth seats and sunroof being the major options. The A/C delivered cold air in the deserts of the southwest. The heater delivers heat in minus 20 degrees cold of Alaska. I did experience one ignition coil to die on me. Since I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, I have gone through 2 sets of brakes and rotors front and back (due to size of car). Besides that, normal maintenance. I averaged 18.5 / 24 mpg city/Hwy in CA. In AK, I average 20mpg/26mpg. If I were to move back to the gulf coast, I can expect 22mpg/29mpg. Regional gas makes a difference. I plan to keep this car to over 200k miles.

What happened to Nissan and Quality
By Dirk on 04/13/07 10:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second 4th Gen Nissan Maxima. Fun to drive in a 5 speed, a true wolf in sheep's clothing. I sold my 95 for a fully loaded 99. Since November 06, I've replaced the ignition coils ($600), alternator ($200), brake calipers ($200), a new clutch ($800), starter ($250) and NOW, gearbox/tranny work (proven factory defect) ($1000) - all in the last 6 months. The coils, tranny, and starter should at least last 10 years or the life of the vehicle. Similiar so should the alternator. This vehicle is NOT reasonably durable.

Excellent Sporty Sedan
By glemon on 10/22/06 22:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

My first four door car after owning sports cars then a Nissan Sentra SE-R. Bought off E-bay with 40,000 miles and extended warranty, didn't need the warranty, now at nearly 80,000 and literally nothing has gone wrong with the car, not even a bulb out. Got it because I wanted more room, practicality than my Sentra SE-R drove a 5-speed Maxima and it felt like a SE- R with a little more room, power and torque. Plan on keeping it for a long long time, little to fault with this car

poor gas mileage in Fl
By bad fuel system on 10/04/06 19:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have had nothing but fuel system issues with my two maxima's. I purchased the first one in 1995 and after 70,000 miles the engine would shut down in the middle of the road. I purchased a 1999 and after 90,000 miles I am having major fuel problems. I have to put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in every fill up just to stop the rough idling...

Great car
By vinnnn on 06/26/06 15:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

very happy with it. 2 problems that nissan knows about but will not fix is the ignition coils and the rear calipers stick....

Wow! I love my Maxima
By Jon Strand on 10/20/05 21:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 83K miles. After about a year and a half it now has 120K miles. This car is amazing and I love it to death. Reliability is fantastic as I have had virtually no maintenance costs w/the exception of oil changes, etc. I get a lot of compliments about how smooth the ride is. Some people dislike the styling of these Maxima's, but I love the car inside and out. It is fully loaded w/every option but traction control and everything still works perfectly and in tip top shape, despite being a 6 year old car. This is the best car buying decision I have made and it's a blast to drive. I plan to keep my Maxima until at least 200K miles, when I will likely go buy a new one.

Original Owner
By John on 09/17/05 23:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

While the initial experience with the dealership has never been forgotten, the car has been very good to me. Good acceleration, and fun to drive. 52,000 miles and have changed tyres and oil... and nothing else (no brake pads, belts, O2 sensors, coils etc). The car does get a workout though. Owning a Nissan I keep up with www.Nissan.com, and this website tells you a lot about the company. I have not been tempted to buy a new model; my 1999 model will last me a long time I believe.

O2 sensors are a pain
By mark on 06/11/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 02 when it came off a lease. I put new BF Goodrich tractions on last year. Even at 6 years old, its fun to toss around. The standard 120 watt stereo(made by Clarion for Nissan) is nowhere near the BOSE but is OK. Dealer service was great. Glad I bought the extended warranty as I've replaced two O2 sesors and need a third already.