Used 1999 Nissan Maxima SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Top Notch Car
By Alberta

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 with 150,000K and I now have 190,000 with virtually no problems. Replaced the struts and the starter but other than those repairs the car has been fantastic.

Fantastic engine. Smooth power.

Not much to comment on here. The car is very well designed and built.

Highly recommended for durability
By Danny

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted this exact year. When I first purchased used. I had done all my homework and have not been disappointed since. It is the most reliable car so far that I have owned. For a v6 it is quite responsive. Like any car it has had some minor mechanical work but if you change your oil regularly and do its scheduled upkeep it will give you years of satisfaction. I currently have 145000 kms and bought it with 88000 kms. The engine on this car is solid. it corners on rails and is a treat on the highway. The seats are comfortable. Buy it!!

Handling, engine, bose sound system, reliable!!! 5 star rims look sharp.

The working man's luxury car
By shamarcus

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 in CA with ~42k miles. Now 107k miles. Black SE model with cloth seats and sunroof being the major options. The A/C delivered cold air in the deserts of the southwest. The heater delivers heat in minus 20 degrees cold of Alaska. I did experience one ignition coil to die on me. Since I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, I have gone through 2 sets of brakes and rotors front and back (due to size of car). Besides that, normal maintenance. I averaged 18.5 / 24 mpg city/Hwy in CA. In AK, I average 20mpg/26mpg. If I were to move back to the gulf coast, I can expect 22mpg/29mpg. Regional gas makes a difference. I plan to keep this car to over 200k miles.

The smoothness and power of the engine. The VQ engine and tranny is proven in the nissan family. I have power for mountain passing on steep grades. Homelink buttons. Quietness of the interior. The biggest and most powerful affordable Japanese midsize sedan. Near luxury ride quality. Fog lights.

A snow mode for the transmission. It's easy to spin the wheels on the ice roads of Alaksa. Full size spare. NISMO upgrade products for this generation of maxima. Overall, I have been satisfied with my maxima.

What happened to Nissan and Quality
By Dirk

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second 4th Gen Nissan Maxima. Fun to drive in a 5 speed, a true wolf in sheep's clothing. I sold my 95 for a fully loaded 99. Since November 06, I've replaced the ignition coils ($600), alternator ($200), brake calipers ($200), a new clutch ($800), starter ($250) and NOW, gearbox/tranny work (proven factory defect) ($1000) - all in the last 6 months. The coils, tranny, and starter should at least last 10 years or the life of the vehicle. Similiar so should the alternator. This vehicle is NOT reasonably durable.

Leather. 5 Speed. Climate control. Bose stereo.

Factory components should be made with higher quality. This vehcile is worse for reliability than any domestic.

Excellent Sporty Sedan
By glemon

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

My first four door car after owning sports cars then a Nissan Sentra SE-R. Bought off E-bay with 40,000 miles and extended warranty, didn't need the warranty, now at nearly 80,000 and literally nothing has gone wrong with the car, not even a bulb out. Got it because I wanted more room, practicality than my Sentra SE-R drove a 5-speed Maxima and it felt like a SE- R with a little more room, power and torque. Plan on keeping it for a long long time, little to fault with this car

Available 5-speed with the V-6 many cars at the time in the class only would allow you to shift the 4 banger. Nice power, good fuel economy, rock solid build and reliability.

Nothing really, to get picky a slightly shorter shift lever would work better for me on reach and feel sportier. Slightly lower ride height, it looks like the wheel wells are not quite filled up

• SUV