Used 1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Rock solid car
By CTmaxima

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Bought 1 yr old with 40k, 10 yrs later with 210k all I have had to do was replace rubber, pads, the occasional caliper, and the starter. Switches and gauges all still functioning normally,but intermittently lose console lighting for AC/Radio and the antenna motor died. Fun to drive with plenty of power, I only wish I had gotten the manual transmission.

Rock solid motor

ride still a bit compliant for a "sport" model...tighten and stiffened ride woulda been better.

A good, safe, fun family sedan
By Nij

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Purchased mine when it had 45,000 miles. Have driven it 15,000 miles in less than 10 months and i love the car! Feels steady on the road. Has good power and acceleration. Heated seats are a comfort in the winter. I've taken this for many long trips and so far this has been my favorite car. I've owned Honda and Mitsubishi earlier and nothing beats the Nissan Maxima! Overall, a great car for a decent price.

Leather seats, automatic climate control, heated seats, good horsepower, smooth ride, Bose music system.

Wind noise can be dampened. A smoother ride on rough roads would be desirable.

Couldn't ask for more
By Andy

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car sight unseen using an online auction. I did a lot of research. I was pleased with it when I went to pick it up and have remained so even after three years. It originally had 68,000 miles and now has 116,000. The only problems have been: 1) one coil pack went bad, and I replaced it myself (about $45) 2) the automatic temp a/c wants to cool even when it is cool outside. You can still get heat if you run it up to 85. If the temp is cold outside, it works normally. 3) I've had to replace both c.v. joints because of boot failure. Both were after 100,000 miles, so I kind of expected that. The joints were not making any noise, but the technician suggested replacement anyway.

Reliability. Good build quality, comfortable seats, Bose stereo, powerful engine, good gas mileage, maneuverability All the power and comfort options you could want without any of the unnecessary gadgets they are putting in cars today.

More comfortable ride on rough roads (it can be downright harsh) less noise in the interior on the same roads. Better quality paint, especially on the front bumper and hood. ABS brakes should have been standard. Mine does not have this option and I've gotten into trouble a couple of times without it

Fun Reliable Sedan
By serg87

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive especially since I have the 5-speed model. I've had it for almost 3 years now and it has been great. It is very reliable, it has good amount of power although more horsepower wouldn't hurt. Overall good car I did not have to do any maintenance yet all I do is change the oil every 3,000 miles and the car runs perfect. Currently has 126k but it will run for much longer.

Leather seats, seat heaters, smooth engine, reliability

More power other than that car is perfect

Enjoy The Ride.
By Erik

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought my '99 Maxima SE Limited to replace my first car that I used through high school and one year of college (a '96 Saturn SL2 Premium). The Maxima was the short list. I purchased mine with 59,858 miles on it in July of 2006 and now currently have 72,562 miles. I've had no unscheduled maintenance and have only had one major replacement, the exhaust system. My Nissan dealership has serviced the vehicle with great care at each scheduled maintenance. The performance, styling, and build quality is impeccable. Nissan engineers have executed every detail perfectly on this vehicle. The engine is smooth, refined, and aggressive. The Maxima is Nissan's flagship for a reason.

Fun-to-drive factor, comfortable/supportive perforated heated leather seats, fast heating/cooling electronic climate control, design - subtle Japanese sportiness & excellent visibility throughout, Bose audio system - perfect sound and depth, low maintenance costs, excellent gas mileage. Great car.

None. Nissan did an outstanding job on the '95-'99 Maxima. I would highly recommend using Premium Fuel in your Maxima, as Nissan recommends. The overall engine smoothness and performance is dramatically better. I'll have this car for many years, even after I buy a new one. It's that good.