1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Rock solid car
By CTmaxima on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Bought 1 yr old with 40k, 10 yrs later with 210k all I have had to do was replace rubber, pads, the occasional caliper, and the starter. Switches and gauges all still functioning normally,but intermittently lose console lighting for AC/Radio and the antenna motor died. Fun to drive with plenty of power, I only wish I had gotten the manual transmission.

A good, safe, fun family sedan
By Nij on 03/16/09 13:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Purchased mine when it had 45,000 miles. Have driven it 15,000 miles in less than 10 months and i love the car! Feels steady on the road. Has good power and acceleration. Heated seats are a comfort in the winter. I've taken this for many long trips and so far this has been my favorite car. I've owned Honda and Mitsubishi earlier and nothing beats the Nissan Maxima! Overall, a great car for a decent price.

Couldn't ask for more
By Andy on 12/30/08 09:09 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car sight unseen using an online auction. I did a lot of research. I was pleased with it when I went to pick it up and have remained so even after three years. It originally had 68,000 miles and now has 116,000. The only problems have been: 1) one coil pack went bad, and I replaced it myself (about $45) 2) the automatic temp a/c wants to cool even when it is cool outside. You can still get heat if you run it up to 85. If the temp is cold outside, it works normally. 3) I've had to replace both c.v. joints because of boot failure. Both were after 100,000 miles, so I kind of expected that. The joints were not making any noise, but the technician suggested replacement anyway.

Fun Reliable Sedan
By serg87 on 12/24/08 14:44 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive especially since I have the 5-speed model. I've had it for almost 3 years now and it has been great. It is very reliable, it has good amount of power although more horsepower wouldn't hurt. Overall good car I did not have to do any maintenance yet all I do is change the oil every 3,000 miles and the car runs perfect. Currently has 126k but it will run for much longer.

Enjoy The Ride.
By Erik on 02/29/08 12:08 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought my '99 Maxima SE Limited to replace my first car that I used through high school and one year of college (a '96 Saturn SL2 Premium). The Maxima was the short list. I purchased mine with 59,858 miles on it in July of 2006 and now currently have 72,562 miles. I've had no unscheduled maintenance and have only had one major replacement, the exhaust system. My Nissan dealership has serviced the vehicle with great care at each scheduled maintenance. The performance, styling, and build quality is impeccable. Nissan engineers have executed every detail perfectly on this vehicle. The engine is smooth, refined, and aggressive. The Maxima is Nissan's flagship for a reason.

Its ok
By John on 01/08/08 21:24 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle used in 2003. with 43,000 miles on it. Its the SE model and it has every option in it. Very good V6 smooth till this day amazing! I have changed the brakes, tires, coils, spark plugs, alt., AC compressor, belts, and I'm probably gonna end up bringing it in again for coil wires or something with the xpark plugs because the car shakes bad when accelerating. But overall I love the car, I just gotta keep taking care of it.

I heart VQ30DE!!!!! (maxima motor)
By IOWAEXPLORER on 10/30/06 20:11 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I actually sold my 2nd maxima last year, but wanted to share my experience. First and foremost, there is so much to be said about the amazing 3.0 v6 standard in every maxima. Though 190 hp does not sound like much, this car will beat v8 muscle cars! That's right! I owned both in 5 speed configurations, and have mixed reviews on the manual tranny...quality seems somewhat subpar for nissan....clutch is weak and expensive to replace. Clutch hydraulics gave me problems in both my 97 and 99. Transmission is questionable, but luckily never gave out on me. I recommend the 98 model, as the 99's nearly all have coil pack issues that are aggrivating. Maxima is a heck of a good all around car.

Great Car !
By EJML on 05/08/06 09:04 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Best car I have ever owned. No major problems just routine maintenance. Original owner and plan to keep this one a lot longer. Car seems to be an extention of the driver and the engine responds the same way it did seven years ago. Still no rattles and original rear brakes. Car is solid and fun to drive with everything in the right place. Was planing to pass it down to my teenager, but I think I will keep this one for myself. I have driven newer Maximas and they have become softer with more creature comforts. This car is truly a working class four door sports car.

This was a god choosen car 4 me!!!
By MarvinS. on 03/15/06 10:11 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I looked all over for the perfect car around $10,000 and this was god's answer to my prayers. This car has room, power, looks, and class. Every chance i get i want to drive it but on the other hand, i don't want to put a ton a miles on it. This was the only car that had an awesome rating (along with the subaru sti). So my advice to anyone looking, find on that has be taken go care of and enjoy it until the wheel s fall off!!! Remember i prayed for the perfect this car!!!!!!

Get one, quick!
By Miller5 on 03/02/06 20:06 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Here's a decent car. All you've read about this car is true. You get styling, performance, great gas mileage, reliability, and good resale all in one 4-door package. I've owned a V-6 Camry and I think this car is slightly better. Plenty of head room for me (6'3") even with a sunroof. Go for the SE, as you get firmer suspension, better looks and a 5-speed option. If you can find a 99 SE-L, you'll get spiffy options like a 5th lap belt, 120 extra watts of Bose (like it needed it...), and neato titanium-colored badges as well as cheesy "SE-L" emblems tacked onto various parts of the car. Keep it in good shape, sell it in a few years, and you should get most of your money out of it.